Bereavement

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Bereavement

Post by alkaseltzer »

Can anyone share their experiences of how well (or poor) your flight ops dept supports you in time of bereavement? And I don't mean quoting the CBA, like actual experiences (within the last two years). A big shakeup is going on at my company, and wondering about other options. They have not treated some all star employees with common respect - before emotions get carried away, I'm curious to know what others have gone through.
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Bereavement

Post by 180 »

The way a company and your managers treat you during difficult times, such as during a period of bereavement or the critical illness of a loved one, is the one true and direct tell-tale indicator of their class and character.

If you are going through a difficult time, your company and your managers should be doing everything in their power to make your life easier.

Compassion and empathy shouldn’t be seen as going above and beyond, it should be seen as being human.

I’ve gone through tough personal experiences while employed with 2 different companies. The first company was brutal, and the second company restored my faith in humanity. Unfortunately there’s all sorts out there. Find yourself a good one.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

180 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:22 pm
If you are going through a difficult time, your company and your managers should be doing everything in their power to make your life easier.
Hmmmm.........

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Way to snip a quote with no context.

Absolutely in the case of a bereavement that statement should stand.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Context matters. Like if you are in the Arctic working for a small company and your grandma in Southern Ontario dies are you going to expect a week off to travel 3 days each way and 1 day for the funeral. Meanwhile your airplane stays grounded the whole time because there is no one to replace you. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices due to the nature of our work.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:00 am Context matters. Like if you are in the Arctic working for a small company and your grandma in Southern Ontario dies are you going to expect a week off to travel 3 days each way and 1 day for the funeral. Meanwhile your airplane stays grounded the whole time because there is no one to replace you. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices due to the nature of our work.
Yes, that's what your boss is for, he needs to have that in his/her operations plan. If he/she won't give you the time needed to bury your family member? Bye bye... I'd be gone and he's now going to have to fill in anyway. (It's your choice to go see your old Granny off of course.)

Family matters.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

My last company was outstanding, the bereavement request was granted on the spot by OCC. The next day I had an email from the HR director and the CP both confirming the requested days off, and offering condolences. I think they only had to provide 3 days with pay, they could have asked for a death certificate but didn't. Beyond 3 days they said I could take more but I believe it would have come out of my vacation allotment. Not 100% as I didn't need it because the funeral was in my home city.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”