CATSA nonsense

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: CATSA nonsense

Post by DanWEC »

Some airline pilots now are 20 year-olds that have never held another job.
They haven't gone through the stages of employment and references it took it in the past to be vetted at a professional level.

Any red flags haven't shown up yet.

So, sadly, I'll take the scrutiny, but I'll still laugh openly at the fucking morons when they take old cutlery from my flight bag.
---------- ADS -----------

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

altiplano wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:10 pm
GoHomeLeg wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:31 pm Everyone stop your whining and complaining. Go through security and act professional and stop being a bunch of cry babies. Just because you're a pilot with a security clearance doesn't mean you're not capable of smuggling in weapons to give it to someone else. That's why we get randomly selected. There have been several instances were crews have been caught smuggling (two Sunwing Mechanics this summer). Do you know what's embarrassing? When grown men make rood sarcastic comments to security personnel. You make pilots look like a bunch of entitled little a-holes. In case you haven't noticed, they also get randomly checked when going through security and they are security. Whinny little pilots. There are worse things in the world to complain about. I've been in this industry since 2007 and a always have pleasant experience with them. I smiled say hello good morning/afternoon and go about day happy. It's not that hard. Try not to be so grumpy all the time. It's an easy concept.
*Mechanics" - Actually Aircraft Maintainer Engineers - unless these guys were there to fix the vehicles on the ramp - aren't flight crew.

Additionally, AMEs where I work don't go through CATSA, and they carry things like leathermans and box cutters in their pockets.

Additionally CATSA isn't there to stop "smuggling" or contraband, they are there to give the appearance of screening weapons, and taking your liquids and gels

I don't need to smuggle a weapon... I have an axe waiting for me on the secure side every time I go to work.

Not to mention the fact I'm already driving the airplane.

Yes I know the that AME are not flight crew. The point is is they have a security clearance like us and are still capable of committing crimes. They hold a RAIC that gives them access.

I know you an have axe in the flight deck, but that doesn't stop a pilot from having or being associated with extremist groups that want to do harm. As a matter of fact we are targetes for extremist group because of our access.

There was and incident years ago in PHL where a flight attendant had a gun in here purse. They found it when she went through security. She forgot it was in there. The cops accidentally fire it off in the room when they where processing it.

The RAIC is just one level to many levels of security. The security personnel at the airport don't make the rules. They just follow them. They have a level of liability to think about. They don't know if you're a pilot, a real threat, or even someone in management posing to test that protocol is being followed.

Excuse my typos. I'm typing this on th go.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Again. You know typically AMEs don't go through CATSA?

You know pilots in the US can carry firearms through security with them if they desire? (yes there's a course first)

No axe to grind personally with CATSA employees, but we've all been harassed or subjected to ridiculous treatment at some point by one of them. They better get some perspective on what they are doing, what the actual threat environment is, and treat Pilots with respect if they want the same in return.

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

I don’t see this as a first world problem.

When CATSA needs to put up large posters at airports in an attempt to humanize them and manufacture consent I think it’s necessary to speak up.

CATSA provides an illusion of security .. nothing more...

I’ve had:

My meal turned upside down ( leaking the contents in my flight bag)
Been asked for my FIN number
Had plastic cutlery confiscated
Had my phone “inspected” only to find “ sensitive content” opened from my wife.. no security threat there.
Been asked for pairing sheets
Set off their alarm as I had fuel/grease on my hands ( after completing a pre-flight)

When traveling as a non-crew member I’ve had cultural items rifled through and treated without care. ( No, my Tibetan signing bowl is not dangerous)

When I see them horseplaying in the public eye, unclean, unkept and acting unprofessionally I’m going to question the “ authority” they’ve been granted.

Questioning this sort of thing is valid..

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

GhostRider6 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:08 am
When I see them horseplaying in the public eye, unclean, unkept and acting unprofessionally I’m going to question the “ authority” they’ve been granted.
I've seen all of this too. They look moronic. Want to be seen as professionals, act like it

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

altiplano wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:47 am Again. You know typically AMEs don't go through CATSA?
Yes they do. I go through non-passenger screening multiple times every day (need a special tool/parts/wheels/consumables from the hangar/shed). All the major airports have a vehicle and personnel screening point before entering the ramp. It's a randomizer just like in the terminal.

Any AME or even rampy working the line goes through non-passenger screening.

Yes we have our tools some times but we throw them in the bin just like everything else.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:23 am
GhostRider6 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:08 am
I've seen all of this too. They look moronic. Want to be seen as professionals, act like it
Be honest here. They could dress and act like a professional, and people would still complain. They inconvenience you for no apparent reason or gain. No matter what they wear or how they behave, they give the impression they don't trust you by checking you when you walk through, and that triggers people.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

"typically" - no NPS if you go into the ramp from the hangar.

There are a lot of access points at airports where there isn't CATSA.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

altiplano wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:59 pm "typically" - no NPS if you go into the ramp from the hangar.
Yes we do. AME's/Rampies/Anyone wishing to be airside at any main terminal ramp i've worked at at YYC, YEG, YVR - have to go through NPS.

Even if they come from the hangar.

Keep an eye out for those quonsets/structures on the airside vehicle roads next time yeah visit a major airport. Those are the screening points. One gets out their truck and goes through the exact same CATSA screening as everyone else.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Yyz de-icing. Bus myself into building with my card. Drive the crew van over to terminal 1 work a full shift for Emirates during the summer or drive a de-ice truck over for gate sprays in winter. Never checked once.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

Yyz de-icing. Bus myself into building with my card. Drive the crew van over to terminal 1 work a full shift for Emirates during the summer or drive a de-ice truck over for gate sprays in winter. Never checked once.
Now some white supremacist is going to bomb the deice pad !!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”