Post by FL-280 »

Age 60 with min of 20 years
---------- ADS -----------

dumbbell daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Regional Career

Post by dumbbell daddy »

The last few PIT courses were mostly Jazz....so yeah not many 35-50 year olds. Lots of OTS older guys have been hired this year. My summer PIT course was a mix. Early 20’s to mid 50’s. Many of us were in our 30’s; coming from overseas, military or other Canadian airlines.

I’m not on the hiring team. Judging by the tone of the VP, it sounds like AC is looking for a good mix of experience from OTS.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

I think Rowdy is pretty spot on in their analysis. For a younger person starting out, getting to AC or WJ mainline as quick as possible makes the most sense for long term career options. I have been so thrilled to see so many good younger pilots that I've flown with getting to AC in their 20s or early 30s.

When one starts getting older and spouse/family starts becoming more of a factor the question becomes less clear. Gotta remember that although things are amazing now and will likely continue to be for the next few years, there are people at AC who literally spent years on the bottom of the seniority list on Reserve all the time. Not fun, but not that big a deal when you're young and single. But when you're trying to deal with kids, family, hobbies, after school activities etc. lifestyle and schedule starts playing a much higher role than long term future earnings.

One other factor is base and commuting. Especially the 'older' folks with a family, there is a significant benefit to not commuting and being able to bid (and often get) one day pairings and be home at night when the kids are young. Does it mean that we'll make less money in the long run? Probably, but I don't think you can truly put a price on being home more while kids are growing up.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Wow some people really have problems, dont they? Here is an idea Capitaine: go to AC provided they will take you, and if you don't like it, go back to a regional or whatever floats your boat. Then you will know whether you will like it or not. The flying world has never been one of 9-5. At some point we are away from home in some crappy hotel, then in some expensive crappy restaurant. Just whatever you want in life right?

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

ayseven wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:07 pm Wow some people really have problems, dont they? Here is an idea Capitaine:...
Wow you’re so perfect with no problems.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

No because i dont even have a job. But that isn't the point. It isn't about me. You seem to be doing fine, that's all. You seem to like your job well enough and by aviation standards, done very well for yourself. You didn't get there by being a dummy; you earned it.

And one day, you will look back and wonder why you spent so much energy concerned about the future. We get so concerned about it that it stops our present, which is pretty silly. Posting and putting you tube vids invite other opinions, so that's my two cents.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

ayseven wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:07 pm Wow some people really have problems, dont they? Here is an idea Capitaine: go to AC provided they will take you, and if you don't like it, go back to a regional or whatever floats your boat. Then you will know whether you will like it or not. The flying world has never been one of 9-5. At some point we are away from home in some crappy hotel, then in some expensive crappy restaurant. Just whatever you want in life right?
Just going to point out the problem with your suggestion to try it out, everything in the airline world, regional or otherwise is seniority. Everything including pay, there is no going back without starting from the bottom, pretty big risk if you’re not sure. The risk is bigger the longer you have been at the regional level, but hey, some of us just “have problems”.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I guess i can't relate to your world. I have owned a successful business and had jobs, of course, but never one with any security whatsoever. My aviation career has been effectively one day at a time. Yours seems better.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

ayseven wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:51 am I guess i can't relate to your world. I have owned a successful business and had jobs, of course, but never one with any security whatsoever. My aviation career has been effectively one day at a time. Yours seems better.
It's ok I go on business forums and tell people to fire everybody. :D

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

mbav8r wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:27 am Just going to point out the problem with your suggestion to try it out, everything in the airline world, regional or otherwise is seniority. Everything including pay, there is no going back without starting from the bottom, pretty big risk if you’re not sure. The risk is bigger the longer you have been at the regional level, but hey, some of us just “have problems”.
That may be true in Canada - but Aviation is a Global Industry and there are options all over the World.

Not all companies have a rigid seniority system.

My last 4 jobs have all been as DEC.

It all comes down to individual preference.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

Cringy is an understatement.
Embarrassing is better.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Just smile and nod. It's always fascinating to see the mental gymnastics of the regional pilot telling you why his job is better than AC.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Victory wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:08 pm Just smile and nod. It's always fascinating to see the mental gymnastics of the regional pilot telling you why his job is better than AC.
Actually, I question the validity of the argument coming from anyone feeling the need to defend his or her career choices on a public forum.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Ok I’ve been watching this train wreck of a thread for a couple of weeks and it’s time to inject some reality. The OP(Captain Kirk) was PFO by AC which under the new PML(post March 2019) is quite the accomplishment(in a bad way) On an annualized basis 60% of AC new hires must come from Jazz. And 90% of all Jazz pilots interviewed must be hired. Captain Kirk was PFO under this agreement so AC really doesn’t want him. If he had not started his ridiculously self indulgent YouTube posts he may have been a candidate for a second chance interview but I think we can all agree that ain’t going to happen. So he has no choice but to promote the “regional career”. Dude the are a lot of reasons to enjoy a regional career but your stupid videos reek of sour grapes. Just enjoy the good contract and benefits that you have at Jazz and stop trying to be a Kardashian.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I was told once by someone in the hiring side, that over the years, the average age of a new hire at Air Canada has been 35.5.

So I'm not sure where 35 as a cutoff comes from... esp. considering 60 was the retirement until recently, now 65 if you're so inclined... I reckon a 25 year career provides lots of opportunities... A 20 year career, or even less also...

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

Interesting points posted above. The other outright negative posts I’m ignoring. Wanna know why? Because I never act like my life is perfect. It took a lot of ups and downs to get to this point. If I have flaws and losses then you have them too. Super dickish’ of you guys to bring up a PFO and my life flaws etc. You’re not any perfect yourself bro!

As for the regional career. My original post was asking who else on here decided to stay and for what reasons. I’m opening a dialogue that was missing on this forum.

Anyways, I’m off in vacation.
Fly Safe and look out for each other.

CaptainKirk

MortyBubba
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MortyBubba »

Victory wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:08 pm Just smile and nod. It's always fascinating to see the mental gymnastics of the regional pilot telling you why his job is better than AC.
Look at it the other way.

Always interest seeing why people keep saying that AC is the better job. The key word I hear form nearly everyone at AC is "eventually". Eventually the schedule gets better, eventually the pay gets better, eventually eventually eventually.

If AC is the right choice for you great. If the regional career is the right choice for you great.

Only the person making the decision knows.

I am making regional a career and can't be happier.

MortyBubba

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:23 am Interesting points posted above. The other outright negative posts I’m ignoring. Wanna know why? Because I never act like my life is perfect. It took a lot of ups and downs to get to this point. If I have flaws and losses then you have them too. Super dickish’ of you guys to bring up a PFO and my life flaws etc. You’re not any perfect yourself bro!

As for the regional career. My original post was asking who else on here decided to stay and for what reasons. I’m opening a dialogue that was missing on this forum.

Anyways, I’m off in vacation.
Fly Safe and look out for each other.

CaptainKirk
I agree. Super douche move blasting him about his PFO.

DirtyDashDriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DirtyDashDriver »

I'll bite and explain why I'm likely staying at a regional.

For starters, I don't commute. I've done it and don't want to do it again. A move to either mainline carrier flying red or teal means a commute. I figure my son deserves more than to see his old man through FaceTime.

Second, my quality of life, even working 16 to 18 days, is pretty good. I'm not a line pilot anymore - I mostly run the sim for training and rides, do the odd bit in the office, and when I do fly it's a one or two-day pairing. I can't recall the last time I did a four-day pairing. That means I'm home, having dinner with the family for the better part of the month. Teaching is something I could do at a mainline carrier, but it again means a commute and by the time it happened, my son would be in high school. Those are days I can't get back.

Third, we're a single-income family who has worked very hard to have only 7 years left on the mortgage and no other debt. We're both coming up on 40 and we don't aspire to see our credit card and credit line maxed out again with the mortgage extending to 15 years. While financially we would likely be better off in the long run at a mainline carrier, that minimum of 4 years at FO wages put's us in a financial spot we don't want to go back to (we identified it would likely take around a decade to get back to where we are today).

Maybe my decisions would be different if my wife was working or the economy was trending up from a recession and not towards one. If I was even five years younger, my decision would definitely be different. But I've never chased metal and I've only ever needed enough money to be comfortable. I can't take it with me into the ground, and my son will already have a pretty little sum when I shuffle off the mortal coil, so I may as well give him a couple of good memories along the way. Air Canada and WestJet cannot do that for me; at least, not right now. That's why I'm likely sticking it out.

If I'm wrong, oh well. It won't matter in 30 to 40 years!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Hangry wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:03 am I agree. Super douche move blasting him about his PFO.
Especially when it would be so much easier - and deserving - to blast him about those YouTube videos... that's some painful shit.

You at least need to be a hot European girl or something if you're doing to that kind of thing.

The psych eval seems to work apparently.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”