Westjet ad.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Westjet ad.

Post by 98 Corolla »

Wow flow is reduced too? Why would anyone go to Encore with no chance at AC and a long wait for WJ? Thanks for the heads up.
---------- ADS -----------

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

Further context...
I am top scale Captain.
Last 2week pay....

$1700.

Bam!

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

assuming u put away 20% and taxed on the match plus the usual cpp and ui at this time of year because without those deductions by my math is over 5k takehome every pay is that right with a marginal tax rate of 48%?

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

Yes and...
Try to be happy spending $700/mo on std/ltd.
Good times

Hudson90
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hudson90 »

I find it very interesting theses days with regards to the new sense of entitlement, my stick is bigger and better then yours type of mentality. I do not paint everyone in this new light, but it’s much different from when I started. I believe there’s always room for improvement on many fronts in today’s industry as we see it. Avcanada used to be a place to meet people and find ways to help a fellow pilot with a technical question or interview process to land that desired job. The half truths and company bashing is mind boggling. The term Professional in our profession starts from within.

Cheers

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

I agree with jjj above but I’d like to know what you clearEd with onex since u are a 20% guy moe

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

10000 gross
1700 net
$213 /hr

20% esp
No per diem
No extra flying

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

DaveP,

I'll give you a qualitative statistic about WJ.

When I do run into WJ crew, they generally look bagged, are carrying enough bags that they look like they are part of some sort of caravan and are generally found sitting around airports killing time thanks to what I assume is unproductive flying.

Without proper protections, this is the result.

Not saying AC is as good as it should be, WJ is inevitably behind due to the lack of overseas flying which naturally is productive.

You guys can chase T4s all you want but when I see friends of mine at WJ that have gained weight and have aged 10 years in the span of 3 years I can tell you that my observation is that you guys are way way behind.

If you are 23, you can tolerate this for a while but it is not sustainable in my opinion. Look at US carriers, some that are entirely domestic and look at their schedules. They not only make more but work way less thanks to proper scheduling protections. But most importantly my friends at those companies don't look like crap.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Taxes in this country are part of the problem.

You guys would be good to get that into a registered account or something to avoid the tax on money you're putting away... I guess it works out end of year, depending your strategy, but still nicer to have the money now instead of next spring.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

DropTanks wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:54 pm
moe wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:19 am Further context...
I am top scale Captain.
Last 2week pay....

$1700.

Bam!
And like $3300 in ESP. Tell the whole story man.
That’s meant for retirement. Imagine not having to crack into your retirement on a regular basis just to survive....

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

Exactly

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

DropTanks wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:09 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:29 pm
DropTanks wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:54 pm

And like $3300 in ESP. Tell the whole story man.
That’s meant for retirement. Imagine not having to crack into your retirement on a regular basis just to survive....
Ummmmm no it’s not all meant for retirement. 20% matched is for retirement? No. Nobody puts 40% away for retirement. That just shows the exact wrong mentality about ESP. We HAVE NO RETIREMENT at WJ. We do have a cluster-fuckd method of pay though. You gotta gather more than like 5 brain cels to figure out that part of your ESP is for you to use as you wish. I’m not saying it’s awesome to be a senior captain here and have $1600 deposited into your account. But FFS it’s not the whole story. This guys netting $10k-$11k per month including ESP and per diems. And that’s while paying EI and CPP premiums at the start of the year.
I am at another LCC carrier in Canada. We were designed to compete with WS. On the 1st I get a pay advance of about $4100 which is higher after CPP and EI are done (next month) and my pay cheque on the 17th is for about $5,000 if I don't do any OT (last few months I whored myself out about so it will be closer to $8-10,000). I pay 10% into our version of the ESP (33% match) and put in 7.5% into my pension which the corp adds 175% of my contributions. I don't pay my mortgages with my T4. It's with what goes in to my bank.

As a country we are so far behind. We get taxed to high heaven (I pay paying >100k in income tax in 2019) cost of living is way higher than the USA and yet we are arguing there is more to it. As an industry we need to start asking for more.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

Also per diem is NOT part of your wages.. it's to cover your expenses on the road.

Hudson90
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hudson90 »

Last edited by Hudson90 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Oh my!
This thread went sideways!
Dave

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

Hudson90 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:44 pm
flashheart wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:19 pm DaveP,

I'll give you a qualitative statistic about WJ.

When I do run into WJ crew, they generally look bagged, are carrying enough bags that they look like they are part of some sort of caravan and are generally found sitting around airports killing time thanks to what I assume is unproductive flying.

Without proper protections, this is the result.

Not saying AC is as good as it should be, WJ is inevitably behind due to the lack of overseas flying which naturally is productive.

You guys can chase T4s all you want but when I see friends of mine at WJ that have gained weight and have aged 10 years in the span of 3 years I can tell you that my observation is that you guys are way way behind.

If you are 23, you can tolerate this for a while but it is not sustainable in my opinion. Look at US carriers, some that are entirely domestic and look at their schedules. They not only make more but work way less thanks to proper scheduling protections. But most importantly my friends at those companies don't look like crap.

Hi flasheart,

First and for most I’m not speaking for DaveP. It’s always nice to view an outside prospective . Ive been with WJ for 13 years. I’ve commuted from YHZ and YJT. I remember when I lost my job flying for an east coast airline. It was WestJet and DaveP that reached out giving me an opportunity to join the team. I had a few friends along the way to help,thanks to my dear friend K. Holland’s. WestJet was very open to commuters back then. All that was asked from us was to be professional and make our best effort to arrive at work on time. Not much to ask. I’ve never complained about commuting. It’s my responsibility. As for WestJet pilots looking like bags of shit! We all age differently. I’m not sure I really understand your motives there. We have a (CA) collective agreement now with really great adds. Nothing is perfect. I’m really excited for the future. Not just for WJ but for everyone that makes a place in their career. Trust me, I could have been worse off. I believe between WJ and ALPA Pilots today! We’re moving in the right direction to making a career here at WJ.

Cheers
It does NOT make me happy when I see this.

Yes, step in the right direction.

But we are on the bottom row of a snakes and ladders game. We, as a profession, deserve much much better.

I wish all WJ pilots the best

Last edited by flashheart on Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hudson90
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hudson90 »

Last edited by Hudson90 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”