Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Westjet ad.

Post by altiplano »

That's not really accurate though.

I assume you pay your credit card off?

I see some people live on nothing but hotel coffee and Subway on the road, or tote around a ridiculous cooler with 4 days of celery sticks and carrots, maybe that's your MO to keep as much as you can. But even a head of celery and a 12" ham and cheese costs something. The cash - or at least all/most - doesn't stay in your jeans.
---------- ADS -----------

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Last edited by Hangry on Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
K.Adams
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by K.Adams »

DaveP wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:39 am Hi
To again, simply quote before you start down the slag path:

“It's only gonna get worse with flow being reduced and all the folk leaving for AC”

If it’s spin then where are the numbers from Encore?

If you can’t post facts then I dare say the pot is calling the kettle black with reference to spin? Or koolaid or whatever you want to call it.

Scheduling satisfaction at Encore was 88 percent (capt/fo) with 12 days off as an average in YYC and 87/86 percent in YYZ with 12 days off for Capt and 17 average days off for FO’s.

I went back and validated my resignation list and it doesn’t support what Tail or Guilden claim.

Cheers
Can you confirm that WJ HR and AC HR talk to each other how many WJ pilots come over to AC per year? Is that why the encore hiring has slowed at AC? I know atleast 10 encore pilots with applications at AC within the past 3 months...im betting there are more.

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

Why would AC hr talk to WJ hr ???

WJ: please stop hiring our pilots.
AC: Oh, sorry about that. Ok.
WJ: thanks

I'll check on that bet; and raise you.
prior to 90 days ago, there were 11 or more Encore pilots with resumes at AC, AT AND SWG.
jaw dropping !!!!!

The numbers you used are comical. Like things drastically changed 90 days ago; and that 10 applications is a dramatic number.

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

K.Adams wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:13 am
DaveP wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:39 am Hi
To again, simply quote before you start down the slag path:

“It's only gonna get worse with flow being reduced and all the folk leaving for AC”

If it’s spin then where are the numbers from Encore?

If you can’t post facts then I dare say the pot is calling the kettle black with reference to spin? Or koolaid or whatever you want to call it.

Scheduling satisfaction at Encore was 88 percent (capt/fo) with 12 days off as an average in YYC and 87/86 percent in YYZ with 12 days off for Capt and 17 average days off for FO’s.

I went back and validated my resignation list and it doesn’t support what Tail or Guilden claim.

Cheers
Can you confirm that WJ HR and AC HR talk to each other how many WJ pilots come over to AC per year? Is that why the encore hiring has slowed at AC? I know atleast 10 encore pilots with applications at AC within the past 3 months...im betting there are more.

AC has a commitment to the AC brand regionals to hire a certain percentage of all new hires. They were lagging behind that ratio, in the last few months they’ve been playing catch-up. That’s why OTS hiring has slowed.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

RVR6000 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:34 pm

AC has a commitment to the AC brand regionals to hire a certain percentage of all new hires. They were lagging behind that ratio, in the last few months they’ve been playing catch-up. That’s why OTS hiring has slowed.
Lagging - yes. Commitment - not so.

There is an obligation to fill 60% of aggregate PIT course spots with Jazz pilots.

If there are any ‘commitments’ to any other AC brand regionals then they would be stacked on top of that obligation.

The only way for AC to obviate that obligation is that there are insufficient qualified Jazz applicants to AC.

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

I believe there were talks of Jazz ALPA filing a grievance for AC not obligating.

Haven’t heard of any specific deals with Sky Regional or now de-funked Georgian.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I'm surprised to hear that AC can't keep the 60% Jazz hiring number because many at Jazz are waiting 6-9 months after interviewing to get a spot in ground school. May be because none of the Jazz guys have wide body experience.

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

doiwannabeapilot wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:44 am Why would AC hr talk to WJ hr ???

WJ: please stop hiring our pilots.
AC: Oh, sorry about that. Ok.
WJ: thanks

I'll check on that bet; and raise you.
prior to 90 days ago, there were 11 or more Encore pilots with resumes at AC, AT AND SWG.
jaw dropping !!!!!

The numbers you used are comical. Like things drastically changed 90 days ago; and that 10 applications is a dramatic number.
Either you are bullshitting or you are sharing privileged information.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Canadian Pilot Unity!

PA-18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PA-18 »

Drop tanks, you really bring down avcanada with posts such as your last one. I see it’s now gone now. Great. Any how you should do a bit of research on pension plans. More then half of private sector workers in Canada do not have pension plans, and for the ones that do, they still must put away money for retirement. Cash is king in whatever form it comes in even if you have to wait a year. Pension are locked, some, your kids and spouse won’t ever have access to either, it does not roll into your estate. I get it your take home every 2 weeks is low, but your t4 does not lie. Period, although I have to say after seeing some paycheques that the disability payments that westjet has setup with the providers are huge and should be addressed.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

One advantage of a pension is that it saves pilots who are bad at money management.

The guy that said 20 percent of his income and the whole match from the company is for retirement is one of those that need help.

JJJ

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

I'm been at Westjet 4 years. Encore flow pilot.
Take home pay is still less than I made flying king air 350. Cashflow per month is $3000. $2000/mth into employee share plan. Difficult to run a household with our setup.

If the union and company doesnt completely revamp the take home pay system by April 1, pilots will be preparing for another May 2018. Shame on the management for letting it get this bad and inefficient.

fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

seriousflyer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:41 amCashflow per month is $3000.
You make $1500 per paycheck after 4 years at Westjet??

I'm a second year FO at a regional, and I make more than that with barely any overtime.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

fliter wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:42 pm
seriousflyer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:41 amCashflow per month is $3000.
You make $1500 per paycheck after 4 years at Westjet??

I'm a second year FO at a regional, and I make more than that with barely any overtime.
We’re all in the same boat, Captains here also taking home that same amount, some with several years in the left seat. Once you contribute the 20%, give the tax man his chunk, pay for your benefits and then pay out the rest of the hands in the pot, a 10,000$ or more gross pay cheque quickly turns into 1500$ Net deposit.
It’s funny at times seeing the reaction of bank employees when trying to explain your take home pay and then what you do for a living.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

I think WJ pilots have an issue managing cash flow. Yes, the cheques are lopsided each month, and yes, you have to make it through one year vesting until you have a rolling amount to access in your esp. (plan obviously subject to change now in April). I find it funny how in one sentence WJ loves their T4, then in another loves to complain about take-home. Either way, you're getting the money... these are first world problems.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”