Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Airlines must adapt to survive

Post by trey kule »

GH
I am normally not one for crystal ball gazing, but you seem quite well informed on this.
I did see a statement by the Westjet CEO that he thought Westjet might never return to its present size.
On the other hand, the majority of the aviation folks here seem to think two years. Not sure, other than pure hope and optimism, they came to that conclusion.

What is your take on the future of all the Canadian airlines? ( no criticism if you are wrong)
---------- ADS -----------

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

trey kule wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:59 pm GH
I am normally not one for crystal ball gazing, but you seem quite well informed on this.
I did see a statement by the Westjet CEO that he thought Westjet might never return to its present size.
On the other hand, the majority of the aviation folks here seem to think two years. Not sure, other than pure hope and optimism, they came to that conclusion.

What is your take on the future of all the Canadian airlines? ( no criticism if you are wrong)
I was going to start another poll to get the age group of the 80+ 2 year voters, I suspect most of them have not seen what a collapse of demand looks like, probably mostly the 20 somethings and a few optimistic people, to be honest I can’t remember if I voted for 4 or 5 years but given where things are headed I would change it to 5+.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

rudder wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:05 am Here is reality. Some airlines will file for bankruptcy protection in 2020/2021. Some will shrink and successfully restructure. Some will liquidate,

IATA would love for government to ride to the rescue. In some jurisdictions it may. In others it may not.

No rose coloured glasses.
Are you kidding?

You took the rose colored glasses off to tell me the following:

- Some airlines will succeed
- Some airlines will not succeed
- Some airlines may get financial aid
- Some airlines may not get financial aid

Can you tell me if there will be clouds in the sky tomorrow?

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

https://thewinglet.boardingarea.com/car ... -relaunch/

Don’t know how accurate, however wouldn’t surprise me one bit. There appears to be pent up demand even from an industry that didn’t get a stellar reputation dealing with Covid-19. People are gonna have to fly to and from their cruise departure/departure points.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

One reason may be that cruise ships offer 100% refund in case cruise is cancelled.

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

Old fella wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:31 pm https://thewinglet.boardingarea.com/car ... -relaunch/

Don’t know how accurate, however wouldn’t surprise me one bit. There appears to be pent up demand even from an industry that didn’t get a stellar reputation dealing with Covid-19. People are gonna have to fly to and from their cruise departure/departure points.
Someone once told me the cruise cities would probably be the first ones to see air travel demand. Maybe he wasn’t too far off!

But also... 600% is relative. If you had one booking and then a 600% surge in demand, it still doesn’t add up to much. But assuming there is a fair amount of cruise demand, that might paint a similar demand for air travel as well - at least we can hope for that.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Avianca files for bankruptcy

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/11/business ... index.html

Avianca is over 100 years old. It is said to be the World's second oldest airline after KLM.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Signs there will be no aviation recovery this summer

With measures like this one, airlines have no chance of survival

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/u-k-q ... 05211.html

Expecting all people arriving in the UK to submit to a 14 day quarantine for the months to come is a death warrant for any UK based airline.

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Mon May 11, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Signs there will be no aviation recovery this summer

Post by rudder »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:13 am With measures like this one, airlines have no chance of survival

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/u-k-q ... 05211.html

Expecting all people arriving in the UK to submit to a 14 days quarantine for the months to come is a death warrant for any UK based airline.
Third party restriction. There will be many of those going forward. No individual airline gets to set the rules for entry in to another country.

Summer 2020 is shot. Plan revenues <25%.

Any carrier whose dominant portfolio is overseas flying is most dramatically affected. Domestic will recover first. Then trans border. Then International.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Yeah and I bet you're gonna have to be 14 days in quarantine again when you come back in Canada...

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

From the National Post,

Kelly McParland: Why are the Liberals protecting the airlines at the expense of their citizens?

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/kelly- ... r-citizens

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”