Perimeter/Bearskin layoffs

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Perimeter/Bearskin layoffs

Post by The Hammer »

Any truth to the rumour that Perimeter /Bearskin are laying off a significant number of flight crews? Im kinda surpirsed on the Perimeter side because they primarily fly into the fly-in only communities.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Perimeter/Bearskin layoffs

Post by rudder »

The Hammer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:28 am Any truth to the rumour that Perimeter /Bearskin are laying off a significant number of flight crews? Im kinda surpirsed on the Perimeter side because they primarily fly into the fly-in only communities.
Manitoba just implemented a ban on non-essential travel to northern communities.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I'm still wondering who travels to the Northern communities for fun? The average plane up there is filled with construction crews, court parties, RCMP officers, teachers, doctors, nurses, non critical medevac patients, and some groceries in the back.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

digits_ wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:10 am I'm still wondering who travels to the Northern communities for fun? The average plane up there is filled with construction crews, court parties, RCMP officers, teachers, doctors, nurses, non critical medevac patients, and some groceries in the back.
From my time there I’d say 80-90% of the plane on sched service is locals

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

digits_ wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:10 am I'm still wondering who travels to the Northern communities for fun? The average plane up there is filled with construction crews, court parties, RCMP officers, teachers, doctors, nurses, non critical medevac patients, and some groceries in the back.

The locals go to the city for fun. Eventually they have to go home. Where they get the money for these trips is the real mystery.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

Dry Guy wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:34 pm

The locals go to the city for fun. Eventually they have to go home. Where they get the money for these trips is the real mystery.
Is it, though? :roll:

MrA

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I heard some were on voluntary leaves, some doing job sharing of sorts and a few layoffs. This info is a few weeks old, so I'm sure it's changed by now.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Most northern operators are actually doing layoffs. From 703 operators like Thunder Air to 704 operators like Wasaya. Both do nothing but northern work and have lost a substantial amount of work.
The Hammer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:28 am Any truth to the rumour that Perimeter /Bearskin are laying off a significant number of flight crews? Im kinda surpirsed on the Perimeter side because they primarily fly into the fly-in only communities.

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DCL415 »

When I left, all were voluntary leaves. But it could have changed since I did.

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

I heard that too initially but now I've heard up to 80 layoffs combined!!!!
How many pilots do they even have?

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DCL415 »

There are 116 pilots in Perimeter and 44 in Bearskin as far as I know

Chris Pike
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chris Pike »

DCL415 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:19 pm There are 116 pilots in Perimeter and 44 in Bearskin as far as I know
Those are roster numbers, or numbers laid off?

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DCL415 »

Rooster numbers

Chris Pike
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chris Pike »

DCL415 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:19 pm There are... 44 in Bearskin as far as I know
Wow... once upon a time there were 120-ish, if memory serves.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

DCL415 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:38 am Rooster numbers
That’s probably more roosters than any other airline! Do they have hens too, or is it just a poultry sausage fest?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Hahaha, that' good.

Couldn't Bear-imeter use the CEWS to retain most of their employees? Cutting 50% of their pilots will be quite expensive to recover from when it's time to start flying again.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

goingnowherefast wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:26 pm Hahaha, that' good.

Couldn't Bear-imeter use the CEWS to retain most of their employees? Cutting 50% of their pilots will be quite expensive to recover from when it's time to start flying again.
Why would the recovery be different? Pretty sure all the pilots are willing to come back right away.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Even a 90 day temporary lay-off requires training, just watch for green Dash 8's doing circuits in YWG in a few months. What is a DH8 cycle worth, plus fuel, plus landing fees x 3 per pilot! That can't be cheap. What about the pilots that don't come back and work somewhere else instead. There will likely be some that won't tolerate this crap and leave aviation entirely. It's a vicious business that some aren't willing to stomach or put their families through. That will mean an initial course vs a recurrent. You can pay an FO's salary for a long time on the cost difference between initial training and recurrent training.

Metros will be cheaper, but training is still expensive.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

goingnowherefast wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:51 pm Even a 90 day temporary lay-off requires training, just watch for green Dash 8's doing circuits in YWG in a few months. What is a DH8 cycle worth, plus fuel, plus landing fees x 3 per pilot! That can't be cheap. What about the pilots that don't come back and work somewhere else instead. There will likely be some that won't tolerate this crap and leave aviation entirely. It's a vicious business that some aren't willing to stomach or put their families through. That will mean an initial course vs a recurrent. You can pay an FO's salary for a long time on the cost difference between initial training and recurrent training.

Metros will be cheaper, but training is still expensive.
It's not like other industries are doing great and hiring.
For training, there is no difference with the CEWS program. For CEWS you are considered laid off as well, so no flying or training either.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Airlines are typically slow to recover from an economic crisis. When someone's rent is overdue and a carpentry job becomes available, well, they change careers out of necessity and the airline now lost a pilot that will probably turn down the recall.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”