B737 Max Type rating or just additional training ?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: B737 Max Type rating or just additional training ?

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

While trying to find some background information on the original certification of the B737, I found this very interesting book, called the "The Third Man, a History of the Crew Complement Controversy, 1947-1981".

It is available for free with Google Play Books.

I'm sure many of you had already read it, but it was new to me. I have not finished it yet.....
---------- ADS -----------

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Very interesting story; one I have heard about since the beginning of my training. I don't want to threadjack, but I flew the Canso, and there was definitely room for a third guy, but it is hard to imagine what he would do, except throttles, props and mixtures, which the co pilot does. Navigation equipment used to be a nightmare in the first days of aviation, though, so maybe he just looked a maps a lot, and once on the ground, it was HIM who crawled all over the machine carrying 5 gallon pails of oil, which all radials need all the time, it seemed, and put fuel in. The amount of spares the poor AME's drove around, base to base with, was laughable (not for them). So much work for them.

I can certainly see the day where the airplanes are so automated, the companies will want only one crew up front, but that is going to involve a LOT of progress made on radio work etc. I watch videos of you airline guys, and see a huge amount of work going into an approach, especially on the Boeings, but cannot see how most of it could not, one day be automated, just as the autopilots are doing so much of the heavy lifting now. Now, don't get mad at me! I am not the future!

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

@GoHomeLeg

Thanks for the explanation - hopefully this will be included as part of the training syllabus.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I think having TC require a B73(D) type rating would be a step in the right direction in the public's eyes. The transition course would be whatever you get approved in your COM, could be 1 session, could be 6, who knows. The first step is admitting it's a slightly different aeroplane.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”