Where is our union?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Where is our union?

Post by FL320 »

Did you have any communication from your union lately? Here we had absolutely no news from ALPA for weeks although things are moving at the airline, we just get some info from rumors and from facebook.
I regularly see some articles about unions like ALPA in the US that are pushing hard the government for more financial aid etc. Here in Canada although we are still paying dues while on CEWS; we don’t hear anything, no action, nothing. I mean why don’t we all (airline employees) go in front of JT office and manifest in uniform like they do in other countries?
The Government is destroying our career and has not given any help to the industry; and we are just doing nothing.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by FL320 on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Where is our union?

Post by 98 Corolla »

The media will likely rip to shreds any organization that publicly questions anti-Covid measures or the government imposing them.

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

And unions are big donors to the Liberal Party, which is surging in the "polls" lately.

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

FL320 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:55 am Did you have any communication from your union lately? Here we had absolutely no news from ALPA for weeks although things are moving at the airline, we just get some info from rumors and from facebook.
I regularly see some articles about unions like ALPA in the US that are pushing hard the government for more financial aid etc. Here in Canada although we are still paying dues while on CEWS; we don’t hear anything, no action, nothing. I mean why don’t we all (airline employees) go in front of JT office and manifest in uniform like they do in other countries?
The Government is destroying our career and has not given any help to the industry; and we are just doing nothing.
if someone organize the manifestation in front of JT office, i'll go and I know few more that would go as well. enough the fuckery with our careers.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

98 Corolla wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:59 am The media will likely rip to shreds any organization that publicly questions anti-Covid measures or the government imposing them.
Today is a classic example of this as all the media outlets seemed to be running with the: oh my gawd can you believe AC and WJ are selling the middle seat again? Who do they think they are?

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

I’m on board ... I’m sure a lot of other airport workers are as well - ACPA, ALPA, Unifor should mobilize and get a demonstration going.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

FL320 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:55 am Did you have any communication from your union lately? Here we had absolutely no news from ALPA for weeks although things are moving at the airline, we just get some info from rumors and from facebook.
Please contact your ALPA rep. There have been regular emails going out, so either you’re not receiving them, or your rep is shit.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

co-joe wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:12 pm
98 Corolla wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:59 am The media will likely rip to shreds any organization that publicly questions anti-Covid measures or the government imposing them.
Today is a classic example of this as all the media outlets seemed to be running with the: oh my gawd can you believe AC and WJ are selling the middle seat again? Who do they think they are?
As much as I want things to return to normal, this one will be a test of the public. You aren’t allowed to sit next to someone in the terminal building, with its soaring ceilings and open atmosphere, but you can in an enclosed tube for several hours.

I know I’m not looking forward to next month’s dh’s.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Has there ever been a confirmed case of Covid-19 transmission in an aircraft?

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

co-joe wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 pm Has there ever been a confirmed case of Covid-19 transmission in an aircraft?
Considering the current concern of asymptomatic carriers, I'd say that it's extremely difficult to prove how any case has been transmitted.

But with 10 million cases and 500,000 deaths worldwide, I think it's a safe bet that it has occurred.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I have a trip planned soon. I certainly do not want to sit next to anybody who is not family. No intended offence to the aviation industry... and my own lack of employment...

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

co-joe wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:12 pm Today is a classic example of this as all the media outlets seemed to be running with the: oh my gawd can you believe AC and WJ are selling the middle seat again? Who do they think they are?
Maybe that's what you are reading into it. All I saw was reporters that basically re-gurgitate what they were told by airlines, that social distance policies on board would be ending on or around July 1. If you want to read the 'oh my gawd' part into it, guess that's your perogative

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

What I don't get with the "airflow on an airplane prevents COVID spread" argument is that the airlines are trying to make it sound like if the sick person is in row 3, and you're in row 30, you're fine because you probably won't interact during the flight and the air will be filtered by the time it gets to you. But if the airflow issue solves all problems, why did airlines stop selling the middle seat in the first place? It's because for everyone in the immediate seats and rows surrounding the sick person, one sneeze will send droplets several feet around them before being picked up by the air system and filtered. Now, if that sick person actually gets tested and is confirmed positive, contact tracing has to be done on everyone immediately surrounding that person and possibly the whole aircraft to determine if anyone else gets sick. No airflow system or filter will help you when the person sitting 12 inches away from you sneezes all over you, your armrest, tray table, lavatory handle, etc.

It's also easy to say that no outbreaks have happened on an aircraft yet because almost the whole worldwide airline fleet is grounded. And for those flights that did operate, many were near empty. It's just like Trump saying that if there were fewer COVID tests being done, it would show the U.S. having fewer cases. It's wishful thinking. All it'll take as flight frequencies climb back up is a few confirmed outbreaks linked to airline travel, and the whole system which is already on a hair-trigger will shut down again. If the airline industry practically shut down for the perceived threat of COVID, imagine what will happen if there are several confirmed airline-related outbreaks.

My wife, who knows about this a lot more than I do about this (she has her Masters in Public Health and currently works for a health unit on the COVID Task Force) is saying that they are preparing for WHEN then second wave will start, not IF. They also are predicting the second wave will occur due to relaxing social distancing measures, such as the increased travel on aircraft.

If you don't believe me, the Centres for Disease Control doesn't mince words when it comes to the risks of getting COVID on an airplane from an infected person:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... /faqs.html

Can flying on an airplane increase my risk of getting COVID-19?

Yes. Air travel requires spending time in security lines and airport terminals, which can bring you in close contact with other people and frequently touched surfaces. Most viruses and other germs do not spread easily on flights because of how air circulates and is filtered on airplanes. However, social distancing is difficult on crowded flights, and you may have to sit near others (within 6 feet), sometimes for hours. This may increase your risk for exposure to the virus that causes COVID-19.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

And this is why masks are mandatory. As well - the airflow direction in aircraft is down. It comes in through the ceiling and flows out though the floor. It certainly helps - but nothing is foolproof.

There is no possible way the airlines can make money blocking out the middle seats....unless they raise airfares substantially, and the public is already convinced they pay too much.

It's called rock and hard place.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

On the contrary, we do not pay too much. We pay too much for stupid little ancilliary things. Give us a PRICE - tax and everything, and we are fine with it.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I agree FL320. Our Unions/Reps here are crap.

It blows my mind that the only communications that we get from ALPA are reminders that pilot assistance is available. How about we are planning a rally to show support and that we are struggling, how about a notice of this is what we are working on. I don't pay dues to sit in the dark.

We get more info from Facebook threads or over beers at the back yard fire.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

co-joe wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 pm Has there ever been a confirmed case of Covid-19 transmission in an aircraft?
Yes, I know of 3 FAs that got from 4th FA on board.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Blue42 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:26 am
On board ? Not in the Dunkin Donuts lineup, in the parking lot bus, in the crew room or while waiting for the aircraft at the gate ?

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:49 am
Blue42 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:26 am
On board ? Not in the Dunkin Donuts lineup, in the parking lot bus, in the crew room or while waiting for the aircraft at the gate ?
Yup, on board the aircraft. My wife was one of them and the only contact with the original FA was on board the aircraft. I guess the other could’ve had contact on the shuttle bus to the hotel at destination but no to the DD lineup, parking lot bus, crew room or waiting for aircraft.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

That's the first case I've ever heard of so thank you for sharing. As previously discussed, we know the virus came from China to North America by air, but I'd never heard of it being transmitted p2p on board.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”