Travel restrictions in EU vs Canada

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Travel restrictions in EU vs Canada

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

On June 30th, the European Union, after having lifted travel restrictions for other European Union members and a few associated members (June 15th), decided to open its borders to a select number of Non European countries who met certain criteria.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/fr/pres ... countries/
The criteria to determine the third countries for which the current travel restriction should be lifted cover in particular the epidemiological situation and containment measures, including physical distancing, as well as economic and social considerations. They are applied cumulatively.

Regarding the epidemiological situation, third countries listed should meet the following criteria, in particular:

number of new COVID-19 cases over the last 14 days and per 100 000 inhabitants close to or below the EU average (as it stood on 15 June 2020) stable or decreasing trend of new cases over this period in comparison to the previous 14 days overall response to COVID-19 taking into account available information, including on aspects such as testing, surveillance, contact tracing, containment, treatment and reporting, as well as the reliability of the information and, if needed, the total average score for International Health Regulations (IHR). Information provided by EU delegations on these aspects should also be taken into account.
Reciprocity should also be taken into account regularly and on a case-by-case basis.
The countries whose whose travellers are unrestricted for European Union entry are :

Algeria
Australia
Canada
Georgia
Japan
Montenegro
Morocco
New Zealand
Rwanda
Serbia
South Korea
Thailand
Tunisia
Uruguay

China, is admitted, subject to reciprocity.

Canada was very fortunate to be on the restricted list of 15 Non EU countries to be admitted.

Yet on the very same day that the European Union made this announcement, Canada made announcements of its own. Canada was extending the blanket travel ban to all nations until July 31 and extending the mandatory 14 days quarantine to all travellers until August 31. Thèse travel ban and quarantine restrictions apply as well to travellers from the European Union, which just lifted all restrictions to Canadian travellers.

https://decrets.canada.ca/attachment.ph ... 77&lang=fr

Instead of a blanket ban on all countries why doesn’t Canada adopt criteria on which it could allow the residents of certain countries, where Covid is under control, to travel to Canada unrestricted ?

I have my theory as to why. It is just speculation though. I think that people in this government cannot conceive to lift the ban on a list of countries which does not include the United States, like the European Union just did.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/fr/pres ... countries/

Did you note that China did meet the European Union criteria for inclusion into the list but was left out because it was not reciprocating ? Let’s see how that works out for Canada.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 9 times in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Travel restrictions in EU vs Canada

Post by digits_ »

It is only a guideline. Belgium is still refusing people from those countries, as I am sure are others.

Maybe Canada doesn’t want to offend the US, maybe not. But it is hard to fault the government for not following an EU guideline if not even all EU members are following said guideline.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

digits_ wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:20 am It is only a guideline. Belgium is still refusing people from those countries, as I am sure are others.

Maybe Canada doesn’t want to offend the US, maybe not. But it is hard to fault the government for not following an EU guideline if not even all EU members are following said guideline.

EU guidelines published on June 30 (3 days ago) can be ratified by member countries or rejected. Did Belgium reject the recommendation after June 30, or it just has not stated it position yet ?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:24 am
digits_ wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:20 am It is only a guideline. Belgium is still refusing people from those countries, as I am sure are others.

EU guidelines published on June 30 (3 days ago) can be ratified by member countries or rejected. Did Belgium reject the recommendation after June 30, or it just has not stated it position yet ?
It recjected it and will re-evaluate july 7th.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Sorry, but here is the Belgian Press release. It did not reject the recommendation at all.

Belgium states that it may apply the recommendations of the European Union but wants to evaluate it first. It will publish its decision on July 7th. In 5 days.

https://diplomatie.belgium.be/fr/newsro ... _7_juillet

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Okay, I may have used the wrong english terminology to describe the situation. Either way, at the moment it is not implementing the recommendation.

So I'll rephrase my question: why would you expect Canada to implement a EU recommendation if EU member states aren't sure they will implement it?

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

digits_ wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:23 am So I'll rephrase my question: why would you expect Canada to implement a EU recommendation if EU member states aren't sure they will implement it?
I’ll give you a little time to think about it. Perhaps you will find the answer to your question on your own.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

I’m 98% sure that digits is Gabor Lukcas.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Why should we start letting all these Europeans in here with no quarantine when they still have a problem.....I say keep the border shut or difficult to pass.

Below is todays update just from France....do you really want them coming over here with no restrictions when we have had so much economic damage due to outbreaks. They are opening up because they want our tourism dollars. I say keep the dollars here, instead of having our tourists spending it over there and bringing the virus back here leading to more inevitable quarantines and delaying our re-opening of the economy. I doubt many European tourists would be coming over to boring Canada anyways this late in the season while plenty of Canadians will go the other way, get the virus and create more economic catastrophe for Canada while helping the European economy with Canada's dollars badly needed over here instead. A double blow to the economy if we just open up.

Canada's policy is not to Flatten the Curve. It is to Stop the Spread. Regardless of opinions on which is the better policy, letting people in from the EU while hoping they tell the truth about how they feel and promising that they were careful during their vacation of previous activities is not reliable based on what I have seen in the news. The governments have chosen their policies and based on that, I want no more of the inevitable spreaders coming in en masse resulting in more shutdowns/slowdowns/detrimental effects when we are not even at stage 3 across the country. Once everything is opened up, we probably won't shut down again except for isolated cases and then perhaps tourists can come over/return.

https://www.sortiraparis.com/news/coron ... 20/lang/en

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

pelmet wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:01 am Why should we start letting all these Europeans in here with no quarantine when they still have a problem.....I say keep the border shut or difficult to pass.

Below is todays update just from France....do you really want them coming over here with no restrictions when we have had so much economic damage due to outbreaks. They are opening up because they want our tourism dollars. I say keep the dollars here, instead of having our tourists spending it over there and bringing the virus back here leading to more inevitable quarantines and delaying our re-opening of the economy. I doubt many European tourists would be coming over to boring Canada anyways this late in the season while plenty of Canadians will go the other way, get the virus and create more economic catastrophe for Canada while helping the European economy with Canada's dollars badly needed over here instead. A double blow to the economy if we just open up.

Canada's policy is not to Flatten the Curve. It is to Stop the Spread. Regardless of opinions on which is the better policy, letting people in from the EU while hoping they tell the truth about how they feel and promising that they were careful during their vacation of previous activities is not reliable based on what I have seen in the news. The governments have chosen their policies and based on that, I want no more of the inevitable spreaders coming in en masse resulting in more shutdowns/slowdowns/detrimental effects when we are not even at stage 3 across the country. Once everything is opened up, we probably won't shut down again except for isolated cases and then perhaps tourists can come over/return.

https://www.sortiraparis.com/news/coron ... 20/lang/en
Personal opinion but Canada has more to lose to restrict Europeans than the opposite: the $ is so weak compared to the € that there are more Europeans coming here spending money than Canadians going to Europe anyway. You should just go downtown Montreal where you hear Frenches buying like crazy because everything is so cheap here thanks to the weak money, that includes expensive houses/condos.
Justin can act like a warrior; all other countries don’t care much about Canada and all these restrictions will just make it worse for the country. If we just think about the economy; Trump can afford to think and play « USA first » but Trudeau can’t.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

The UK which is no longer part of the EU published its own list of countries whose residents are exempt from Quarantine when arriving in the UK. This list does not include Canada, China or the United States....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -corridors

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

The governments have chosen their policies and based on that, I want no more of the inevitable spreaders coming in en masse resulting in more shutdowns/slowdowns/detrimental effects when we are not even at stage 3 across the country. Once everything is opened up, we probably won't shut down again except for isolated cases and then perhaps tourists can come over/return.
?????

I thought you were all about herd immunity.

Did your government friends stop listening to you?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

boeingboy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:36 pm
The governments have chosen their policies and based on that, I want no more of the inevitable spreaders coming in en masse resulting in more shutdowns/slowdowns/detrimental effects when we are not even at stage 3 across the country. Once everything is opened up, we probably won't shut down again except for isolated cases and then perhaps tourists can come over/return.
?????

I thought you were all about herd immunity.
Doesn’t matter what I think should be done as an overall policy. What matters is what policy is actually being implemented and how best to deal with the implemented policy.

So two weeks quarantine for foreign arrivals for now. Otherwise we will never fully open. Once fully open, then review the policy.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

I believe they will find a vaccine, but not anytime soon, so I guess we should put on our tinfoil hats and wrap ourselves in the blanket of fear and never leave our homes. Screw the economy .. who needs a job, an income or a social life. Let’s allow everyone to sit at home on the never ending supply of government cash .. we’ll smoke dope and drink our faces off to forget about the lives we once knew ..

Good plan ... :roll:

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... ip_20_1035
Given that the health situation in certain third countries remains critical, the Commission does not propose a general lifting of the travel restriction at this stage. The restriction should be lifted for countries selected together by Member States, based on a set of principles and objective criteria including the health situation, the ability to apply containment measures during travel, and reciprocity considerations, taking into account data from relevant sources such as ECDC and WHO.
This BBC article gives some background info:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53222356
Then came France, insisting on reciprocity. If a non-EU country was barring flights from the bloc, argued Paris, they shouldn't appear on the list.

And finally: diplomatic considerations. How awkward for the EU to include some countries but not others. Thumbs up to visitors from Canada, Japan and China from 1 July - if Beijing allows EU visitors entry - but not travellers from the US.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Localizer wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:55 am I believe they will find a vaccine, but not anytime soon, so I guess we should put on our tinfoil hats and wrap ourselves in the blanket of fear and never leave our homes. Screw the economy .. who needs a job, an income or a social life. Let’s allow everyone to sit at home on the never ending supply of government cash .. we’ll smoke dope and drink our faces off to forget about the lives we once knew ..

Good plan ... :roll:
Until such time that a vaccine is found, if that ever happens, everyone will catch it.

There are three categories of people:

1) Those that had it (most are not aware)
2) Those that have it (most are not aware)
3) Those that will have it (most are delusional)

The goal was never to prevent us from getting it but to prevent too many of us from getting it at the same time and overwhelm the health system.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Until such time that a vaccine is found, if that ever happens, everyone will catch it.

There are three categories of people:

1) Those that had it (most are not aware)
2) Those that have it (most are not aware)
3) Those that will have it (most are delusional)

The goal was never to prevent us from getting it but to prevent too many of us from getting it at the same time and overwhelm the health system.
Achieved ... so let’s get back to living.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

For those thinking of spending money in a foreign country, why not support the domestic economy. Shop local, vacation local. Each province has lots to see for a vacation. Maybe now is the time. Want to go further...fly domestically and support our airlines.

News Release
Ontario Encourages Support of Local Small Businesses
Province Promotes Shop Local, Shop Safe and Shop with Confidence Campaign
June 30, 2020 10:30 A.M.Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade

TORONTO — The Ontario Government is celebrating International Small Business Week with the launch of the "Shop Local! Shop Safe! Shop with Confidence!" campaign, encouraging Ontarians to support their local small businesses and to shop safely while doing so.

"The countless stories of success from our diverse small business community is living proof that Ontario is a place to grow and achieve big dreams," said Prabmeet Sarkaria, Associate Minister of Small Business. "All of our small businesses supported the fight against COVID-19, many by closing their doors for several months—now it's our turn to help support their recovery. When Ontarians Shop Local, Shop Safe and Shop with Confidence, we're doing our part to ensure the future vitality of our main streets, our communities and our province."

The province's campaign asks for mayors, local leaders and groups to support our small businesses by committing on social media to "Shop Local, Shop Safe, Shop with Confidence," while highlighting the best practices put in place by businesses to help keep shoppers safe while ensuring that the reopening of Ontario continues to be a success. For example, the principles of the People Outside Safely Together (POST) Promise encourage small businesses to strictly follow health guidelines and reopen with appropriate measures in place, so consumers can shop safely and with confidence, including:

"The Retail Council of Canada is strengthened by the contributions of our diverse membership, and we're delighted join the Government of Ontario in supporting our main street retail businesses and indeed all retailers across the province," said Diane J. Brisebois, President of the Retail Council of Canada. "'Shop Local, Shop Safe, Shop with Confidence' helps retailers, the province's largest private-sector employers, promote safety for consumers and workplaces, while continuing to help to build strong and vibrant communities all across Ontario."

The province, in partnership with various health and safety organizations, has also released sector-specific guidelines in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. These documents help workplaces better understand their responsibilities and includes best practices they can use to help them comply with their legal obligation to protect the health and safety of workers.

Quick Facts
Ontario is also providing significant support to small businesses, including an investment of $150 million in rural broadband which will help businesses access a greater pool of customers as well as significantly expanding the Digital Main Street platform to help small businesses create and enhance their online presence, helping them to adapt and meet the challenges of today. The province has also implemented a ban on commercial evictions to help small businesses that have been significantly impacted by restrictions due to COVID-19.

The Board of Directors of the POST Promise Corporation is comprised of senior level business leaders and public health experts from organizations such as: The Business Council of Canada, Retail Council of Canada, Canadian Global Cities Council, Canadian Federation of Independent Business, Building Owners and Managers Association of Canada, Restaurants Canada, McCarthy Tetrault LLP, The University of Toronto, Salt XC, and Medcan.
The Ontario Government reduced the small business Corporate Income Tax rate by 8.7 percent starting January 1, 2020. This will deliver up to $1,500 in annual savings to more than 275,000 businesses.

Ontario’s Small Business Success Strategy, launched prior to COVID-19, identified the need for small businesses across the province to build or enhance their online presence to remain competitive and expand their markets. COVID-19 has further reinforced the need for Ontario small businesses to embrace digital tools, including having online storefronts and expanding them. The Strategy also seeks to promote entrepreneurship in all of Ontario’s diverse communities.

To further support small businesses with physical storefronts impacted by COVID-19 restrictions, Ontario has implemented a Temporary Ban on Commercial Evictions

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

digits_ wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:23 am Okay, I may have used the wrong english terminology to describe the situation. Either way, at the moment it is not implementing the recommendation.

So I'll rephrase my question: why would you expect Canada to implement a EU recommendation if EU member states aren't sure they will implement it?
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/b ... ded-by-eu/

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Why not just set up mandatory quick testing on arrival, include the fee in the flight cost and if they test negative free to enjoy the country no quarantine and if they are positive they get forced into a quarantine location. Test before departure and again on arrival

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”