Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Nolinor Aviation Starts New Airline

Post by BTD »

goldeneagle wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:51 am
BTD wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:41 am I don’t believe it does. That is ADS C works in the middle of the ocean. Although your ADS B could be communicating with other ADS B capable aircraft nearby. ADS B needs satellite navigation (gps) for position, but then uses transponder and ground stations to pass that to ATC.
Your information is not correct.
Hmm. Learn something new everyday.

For my clarity then, and given the follow up reading I have done. Most documentation still references ADS B as being ground based surveillance. Even Aireon makes reference on their website that current ADS B is ground based, implying that approvals for "Space Based ADS B" are still to come.

There are no references I have seen to this in the Computer Based Training I have done for PBSC and Remote/Oceanic operations.

There is other information that shows Nav Canada, started an ADS B trial in remote areas of Hudson Bay and some NAT airspace. This is all relatively recent developments (the last 6-12 months)?

So is "space based ADS-B" being used, not on a trial basis, across the North Atlantic now? Or is it still being trialed?
---------- ADS -----------

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Another interesting note about ADS-B and C is that when I was in ATC training a few years ago, the official terminology changed from "RADAR identified" to "Surveillance identified" as now it is not necessarily RADAR that is being used to see you. It could be RADAR, a combination or RADAR or other surveillance method or completely space-based. I know it's semantics, but almost every controller I know still says "Radar identified" as it's just old habit.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

What does OWG stand for?

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

lownslow wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:40 am What does OWG stand for?
Off we go

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Space based ADS-B has been used for flight tracking since 2017
A significant step forward for ADS-B is the reception by artificial satellites of the ADS-B signal. It was tested for the first time in 2013 on ESA's PROBA-V[65] and it is being deployed by companies like Spire Global using low-cost nanosatellites. Aireon is also working on space-based ADS-B with the Iridium satellite network, a LEO (Low Earth Orbit) satellite network that was originally created to deliver phone and data service anywhere on the planet. By capturing ADS-B position data from aircraft flying below the satellite, the network will give the following capabilities:

Air traffic control using surveillance based separation standards will be possible over water, in areas that radar does not currently cover. Currently, air traffic control uses the larger procedural separation standard in oceanic and remote areas.
As is currently possible in radar covered areas, a position history will be available for lost aircraft, as in the case of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
The system only receives ADS-B on aircraft broadcasting on the 1090 MHz frequency. This limits the system generally to airliners and business aircraft, despite the fact that small aircraft are frequently off radar due to mountains blocking the signal at low altitudes. The system could be compromised by smaller, private aircraft with exclusively belly mounted ADS-B antennas, due to the aircraft hull blocking the signal.

The rationale for using the Iridium satellite network for this new capability was due to:

The Iridium satellites fly very low, and thus can receive the ADS-B out signals more reliably (transponders and ADS-B were designed for ground reception).
Iridium satellites are replaced relatively frequently due to the increased air friction at their lower altitude, and thus lower lifespan. Thus the system would be deployed on iridium faster.
Iridium provides worldwide coverage, including the poles.
In September 2016, Aireon and FlightAware announced a partnership[66] to provide this global space-based ADS-B data to airlines for flight tracking of their fleets and, in response to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, for compliance with the ICAO Global Aeronautical Distress and Safety System (GADSS) requirement for airlines to track their fleets.[67] In December 2016, Flightradar24, entered an agreement with Gomspace for space-based tracking in 2016.[68]

SpaceX subsequently placed 66 operational and 9 spare Iridium satellites in orbit over the course of 8 launches between 14 January 2017 and 11 January 2019. Another 6 spare satellites remain on the ground.

The ICAO describes space-based ADS-B as a technology equalizer, offering developing nations an airspace surveillance capability. By 2020, 34 nations will deploy the system, including the 17 members of the Asecna in Africa, and the Cocesna air navigation services agency in Central America. More frequent updates in the North Atlantic Tracks allowed reducing longitudinal separation from 40 to 14 nmi (74 to 26 km) and lateral separations from 23 to 19 nmi (43 to 35 km). The FAA plans an evaluation in the Caribbean airspace from March 2020 until 2021, to complement the unreliable Grand Turk Island radar which allow reducing separation from 30 to 5 nmi (55.6 to 9.3 km).[69]

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

For my clarity then, and given the follow up reading I have done. Most documentation still references ADS B as being ground based surveillance.
All ADS-B requires a ground station so to speak....The difference is whether your pulling that info from the transponder itself (radar) or from the satellites (receiving station).

You also may be confusing the 978 vs 1090ES systems

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

boeingboy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:50 am
For my clarity then, and given the follow up reading I have done. Most documentation still references ADS B as being ground based surveillance.
All ADS-B requires a ground station so to speak....The difference is whether your pulling that info from the transponder itself (radar) or from the satellites (receiving station).

:?: What does radar have to do with ADS-B?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

flyingcanuck wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:41 am
Off we go
Excellent. An abbreviation that has more syllables than what it was supposed to shorten.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

ahramin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:05 pm
boeingboy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:50 am

:?: What does radar have to do with ADS-B?
Sorry....piss poor choice of words. I meant that like radar ground based system is line of sight and obstructed by terrain, limited range, and other limitations. The space based ones dont have that issue so less stations and those are relayed to the ATC facility.

Only the 978 UAT system will provide weather, notams, etc.....but space based requires ant diversity

Cappo1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cappo1 »

How will fares stay attractive to the consumer when the AIFs are going through the roof at the airports they plan on operating out of ? Is this going to be the PQ version of Swoop for vacation destinations ?

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

flyingcanuck wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:41 am
Off we go

I thought that you were making a really stupid joke.

I am disappointed that you weren’t joking.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Why are french people like this

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

Well, we know where OWG will be flying.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2020-130
The applicant has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for a licence to operate a scheduled international service, large aircraft, in accordance with the Arrangement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the Republic of Cuba
whipline wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:06 am Throw some winds in, throw some enroute weather in, throw no close alternate airports in. Now enjoy your stopover somewhere other then your destination. Then throw in new duty regs and enjoy a night on OMG’s dime.
I don't think the B734s will have any issues carrying 158 passengers from YUL to VRA or HAV. Plenty of alternates in the area also.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”