Eggs in one basket

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Eggs in one basket

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Does anyone actually believe that AC would ever put all it's regional lift "eggs in one basket" ever again.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Eggs in one basket

Post by rudder »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:23 pm Does anyone actually believe that AC would ever put all it's regional lift "eggs in one basket" ever again.
Given the COVID crisis and associated Express capacity reductions - I would assign a better than even chance that there will be just one Express vendor (Jazz) for AC when the dust settles. Jazz assimilated the GGN flying and pilots without missing a beat.

First issue for AC though is to decide what the 2021/2022 Express fleet will look like.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

So your forgetting that at one point not that many years aha when Jazz was the only regional they launched a vacation charter venture that competed against Air Canada Vacations and a past threat of strike action that would have hit AC hard. I don’t see the wise owls at AC ever awarding all their regional lift to one operator, three was overkill but they will never go with only one again.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

It worked fine in the past. I think AC learned their lesson by hiring bargain basement operators like Air Georgian that it isn’t cheaper in the long run. They have a contract with Jazz till 2035 so no need to undercut with the cheapest of the cheap.

Let’s Go Brandon
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:21 pm So your forgetting that at one point not that many years aha when Jazz was the only regional they launched a vacation charter venture that competed against Air Canada Vacations and a past threat of strike action that would have hit AC hard. I don’t see the wise owls at AC ever awarding all their regional lift to one operator, three was overkill but they will never go with only one again.
I think the Thomas Cook thing is water under the bridge by now. Jazz won’t do that again and Jazz helped out AC tremendously when GGN was making a mess with the RJ operation and the 737 Max was grounded.

Let’s Go Brandon
Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Are you suggesting that SKV didn’t “help out tremendously” thru the GGN and 737 hiccups.

As for Thomas Cook I respectfully suggest that AC doesn’t view it as “water under the bridge” and will position itself so that it can’t potentially have a negative impact on them.

Additionally doesn’t it works well for AC to have two players to work against each other going forward, especially in the event of a job action by either CPA provider.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:35 am Are you suggesting that SKV didn’t “help out tremendously” thru the GGN and 737 hiccups.

As for Thomas Cook I respectfully suggest that AC doesn’t view it as “water under the bridge” and will position itself so that it can’t potentially have a negative impact on them.

Additionally doesn’t it works well for AC to have two players to work against each other going forward, especially in the event of a job action by either CPA provider.
Jazz pilots are locked into a contract out to the expiry of the current CPA, therefore no threat of strike action from us.
However, if CCAA is the inevitable outcome, I don’t know what happens to our contract. I suppose all parties could agree to keep it in force but if there are concessions, I doubt we would agree to another 15 years of that.
So, in a nutshell, who knows

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Given all that is going on right now, I strongly encourage everyone to wish each other well. Let's not look at what benefits my company or yours. Let's look for a solution that gets the most amount of pilots back to work as quickly as possible. Save the petty back stabbing for better times.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Loon-a-tic,
You clearly had your mind made up on this topic so I’m not sure why you even asked the question. As for the Thomas Cook debacle, you will never see that happen again since AC/Jazz signed a deal until 2035 so you can be sure as hell AC put language in the CPA to prevent that. Also in said CPA, AC now has a seat on the Chorus(and therefore, Jazz) Board of Directors and now has a 10% ownership in Jazz so they have full oversight of Jazz operations. However, as I understand it, Calin Rovinescu and Russ Payson are good friends so if Sky was to be absorbed into Jazz, Russ would need a pretty sweet buyout

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

hithere wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:52 pm Calin Rovinescu and Russ Payson are good friends so if Sky was to be absorbed into Jazz, Russ would need a pretty sweet buyout
Friendships aside, CR's obligation is to the shareholders of AC.

astronaut
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by astronaut »

Arnie Pye wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:48 pm Given all that is going on right now, I strongly encourage everyone to wish each other well. Let's not look at what benefits my company or yours. Let's look for a solution that gets the most amount of pilots back to work as quickly as possible. Save the petty back stabbing for better times.
Well said.

Couldn't agree more. It's time Canadian pilots work together as a collective vs. constantly undercutting each other and having spats.

We would all be better off for it.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Hithere, thanks I struggle some days to know where my mind is at, how can I ever thanks you. However you are out in left field on this one, I'm am simple pointing out historical events that may or may not have a bearing on the future of both JV and SKV.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Who is JV?

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Sorry, JZA is that better Hithere

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

hithere wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:22 pmWho is JV?
JV is the IATA code for Bearskin... are they going to take over the CRJ flying now???

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

NotDirty! wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:40 pm
hithere wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:22 pmWho is JV?
JV is the IATA code for Bearskin... are they going to take over the CRJ flying now???
No they’re going to bring back the Sarnia and Kingston routes with the Metro. :mrgreen:

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”