Post by co-joe »

The pink scourge continues to grow.
---------- ADS -----------

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Swoop moves to YYZ

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Rumour has it those are flights being operated by Swoop for Sunwing.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

As we have been told at Sunwing, there is not enough demand or load factor to operate our own aircraft. If it's cheaper for the travel group to use AC, Swoop, etc, they will. So, that AC or Swoop aircraft might have some Sunwing Vacations passengers, some AC Vacation passengers, some WJ Vacation passengers, some Selloff Vacations passengers, etc.

The Sunwing Travel Group aims to survive. Remember that the airline is just an arm of the larger group. If that means that the few people Sunwing has going on vacation go on another carrier, so be it.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:49 am As we have been told at Sunwing, there is not enough demand or load factor to operate our own aircraft. If it's cheaper for the travel group to use AC, Swoop, etc, they will. So, that AC or Swoop aircraft might have some Sunwing Vacations passengers, some AC Vacation passengers, some WJ Vacation passengers, some Selloff Vacations passengers, etc.

The Sunwing Travel Group aims to survive. Remember that the airline is just an arm of the larger group. If that means that the few people Sunwing has going on vacation go on another carrier, so be it.
Well someone has to be lying, while I’m sure WJ management is, I’d also be willing to be there not the only ones. The whole Swoop YYZ is said to be supporting Sunwing flying, if that’s the case why can Swoop fly 800’s on those routes and not Sunwing. I get your reason that Sunwing has told makes sense, but it may not be the actual reason.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:35 pm
DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:49 am As we have been told at Sunwing, there is not enough demand or load factor to operate our own aircraft. If it's cheaper for the travel group to use AC, Swoop, etc, they will. So, that AC or Swoop aircraft might have some Sunwing Vacations passengers, some AC Vacation passengers, some WJ Vacation passengers, some Selloff Vacations passengers, etc.

Well someone has to be lying, while I’m sure WJ management is, I’d also be willing to be there not the only ones. The whole Swoop YYZ is said to be supporting Sunwing flying, if that’s the case why can Swoop fly 800’s on those routes and not Sunwing. I get your reason that Sunwing has told makes sense, but it may not be the actual reason.
We were simply told that if the travel group can find cheaper lift who is already going down south and putting our few passengers on there, as opposed to operating our own aircraft with 10-15 people on them (and the associated cost of reactivating the aircraft and re-qualifying crews), they'll do that.

There could be more to it, but perhaps Swoop is now the cheapest option and they're flying multiple vacation operators' passengers on one flight.

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

co-joe wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:57 pm The pink scourge continues to grow.
Who cares? People wanted a cheaper travel option and they got it. Reminds me of how book publishers bitched about the kindle

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

gtappl wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:40 am
Who cares? People wanted a cheaper travel option and they got it. Reminds me of how book publishers bitched about the kindle
Well to begin with no it’s not at all similar, that’s two completely different methods of delivering the product(the book). This is the exact same method of transport, on the exact same aircraft(minus the paint job/seat configuration) to and from the exact same destinations in the exact same timeframe.
Every professional aircrew member should care, all the swoops of the world do is drive down wawcon’s and send our profession backwards.

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:05 am
Well to begin with no it’s not at all similar, that’s two completely different methods of delivering the product(the book). This is the exact same method of transport, on the exact same aircraft(minus the paint job/seat configuration) to and from the exact same destinations in the exact same timeframe.
Every professional aircrew member should care, all the swoops of the world do is drive down wawcon’s and send our profession backwards.
I don't get why people here expect the public to give a shit. I think we're all guilty of supporting companies that do this in other industries. But it's only a big deal because we are white collar and mainly that it affects us.

I think it's sad we have some of the world's lowest paid 737 captains but otoh I don't blame Joe public.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

gtappl wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:14 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:05 am

I don't get why people here expect the public to give a shit. I think we're all guilty of supporting companies that do this in other industries. But it's only a big deal because we are white collar and mainly that it affects us.

I think it's sad we have some of the world's lowest paid 737 captains but otoh I don't blame Joe public.
What...????
That had nothing to do with what I said, the only consumer thing I even mentioned in my earlier post what how your book/kindle analogy made zero sense. I never mentioned anything else about joe public, and don’t blame them for booking the cheapest option. My only problem is with Swoop and their under cutting of other companies to offer those cheaper fares but offering poor WAWCON’s

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Even at 5000$ per year they would get plenty of applications. That's the real problem in our industry.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before all of Westjet's aeroplanes are painted pink. Such is progress...

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

co-joe wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:33 pm I'm sure it's just a matter of time before all of Westjet's aeroplanes are painted pink. Such is progress...
I've been predicting that since the creation of swoop. Onex's purchase and the recent economic downturn will only expedite things I'm affraid. The days of the 300k westjet captain will be gone.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Swoop can only grow to 30 aircraft max. Only 6 aircraft for the duration of MOA 3. What am I missing?

co-joe wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:33 pm
I'm sure it's just a matter of time before all of Westjet's aeroplanes are painted pink. Such is progress...

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

garfield wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:30 am Even at 5000$ per year they would get plenty of applications. That's the real problem in our industry.
Look at literally any other country? Their unions WORK FOR THE PILOTS and not for the company and top 10% most senior members
We're stuck in this crab bucket mentality.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Swoop gets its international Licence from the CTA for flights to CUBA and the DR

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2020-159

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2020-160

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”