New Bottom Feeder's

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

New Bottom Feeder's

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

During this time of unpresendented furlough numbers effecting our colleagues are "draft whores" the new bottom feeders of this industry. While we criticize operators we must also be willing to look within our ranks and hold ourselves accountable as well.
---------- ADS -----------

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: New Bottom Feeder's

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

:roll:

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Four years of flat pay followed by furlough tends to do that to people.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

That is precisely why the employment standards in Canadian aviation will NEVER change or improve, pilots are their own worst enemy

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

When most, if not all in the aviation sector, are both future and financially fuct, you’re the one who decides who’s a “bottom feeder”???
Shouldn’t we, individually, in our own specific circumstances, decide what’s best for us and our families during a pandemic?

Even though I get it, maybe more considerate thought is a wiser investment than just hitting the keyboard in frustration?

Gino Under

P.S. it’s ‘affecting’ not “effecting”.

Last edited by Gino Under on Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
planebored
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by planebored »

Gino Under wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:40 pm When most, if not all in the aviation sector, are both future and financially fuct, you’re the one who decides who’s a “bottom feeder”???
Shouldn’t we, individually, in our own specific circumstances, decide what’s best for us and our families?
Maybe more considerate thought is a wiser investment than just hitting the keyboard.

Gino Under

Well regardless I think we can all agree SkyCare is the bottommost bottom feeder.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

If nobody took the flat pay they would have to change it. One could argue that everyone who took it was a bottom feeder at one point.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Gino Under wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:40 pm When most, if not all in the aviation sector, are both future and financially fuct, you’re the one who decides who’s a “bottom feeder”???
Shouldn’t we, individually, in our own specific circumstances, decide what’s best for us and our families during a pandemic?

Even though I get it, maybe more considerate thought is a wiser investment than just hitting the keyboard in frustration?

Gino Under

Hey Gino Under thanks for confirming the intent of the post, I'll work on my spelling

planebored
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by planebored »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:01 pm If nobody took the flat pay they would have to change it. One could argue that everyone who took it was a bottom feeder at one point.
TIL, I am a bottom feeder.

Hopefully I'll be able to be a part of making it go away for those that come after.

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

Dude, you have no idea if other people’s financial circumstances. Maybe the are paying for a very sick parents old folks home bills. Maybe their spouse has a business that is losing thousands of dollars a month. Perhaps their kids need an expensive medication that isn’t covered.

All of which we be more important than not working in the slim hopes it will help someone else.

Pretty f**** judgmental.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Truth is, nobody really knows one's intention for picking up OT, for the most part. There are people who may claim it's beer money etc, but generally speaking we know of no one's financial situation. It would be poor form to pass judgement on someone for taking OT, pandemic or not.

Was this really even worth posting about?

Really, this is just loon-a-tic's opinion. Doesn't mean he'a factually correct. Carry on..

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

So when times are good we are quick to chew any transgressors a new one for being self-serving. However when its time to circle the wagons it become a wagon train of one. More solid evidence that the Canadian aviation industry is mired in it's own self perpetuating mess and yes thats just an opinion.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:18 am So when times are good we are quick to chew any transgressors a new one for being self-serving. However when its time to circle the wagons it become a wagon train of one. More solid evidence that the Canadian aviation industry is mired in it's own self perpetuating mess and yes thats just an opinion.
I get what you're saying, but opinions about issues like this are so subjective, they likely won't change anything. In fact all it will do, is pit everyone against each other like a number of threads in here and it will just lead to name calling and judgment. It's not exactly a productive topic to discuss and likely wasn't worth creating a thread for it, in my opinion :mrgreen:

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:09 pm

Gino Under

Hey Gino Under thanks for confirming the intent of the post, I'll work on my spelling
And it’s “Feeders” not “Feeder’s”, “unprecedented” with a “c”.

You’re welcome.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Obviously not the popular opinion here, but I don't think anyone should be doing OT while their colleagues are laid off. In other industries, if you were to pick up OT while your coworkers were laid off, you would not be looked at favourably by your peers. Pilots are different though for some reason. I get that I don't understand everyone's financial situation, but my financial situation also sucks, AND I'm laid off. Picking up OT directly delays recalls. That's irrefutable.

Last edited by tbayav8er on Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Finally some who get’s it, there’s still hope

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Every Skipper that has been “downgraded” is directly impact when the guy to his left picks up draft or OT. Every FO that is living on CEWS is directly impacted when a colleague picks up draft or OT. It might not be a very “popular” conversation or post but it’s the truth.

Last edited by Loon-A-Tic on Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
planebored
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by planebored »

Skyhunter wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:27 pm Dude, you have no idea if other people’s financial circumstances. Maybe the are paying for a very sick parents old folks home bills. Maybe their spouse has a business that is losing thousands of dollars a month. Perhaps their kids need an expensive medication that isn’t covered.

All of which we be more important than not working in the slim hopes it will help someone else.

Pretty f**** judgmental.
What about the financial circumstances of all the furloughed pilots? Especially those who left higher paid jobs to deal with flat pay shit, only to get laid off and now take even longer to get to formula pay?

Just don't do VO. If you care at all about your fellow co-workers. If the company can't cover with VO they will start to recall and run larger reserve coverage. Every day sooner the get our furloughed brothers and sisters back is better. That's one more day of YOS progression, another day of pension contribution and benefits coverage.

Say no to VO.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Exactly.

planebored wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:11 pm
Skyhunter wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:27 pm Dude, you have no idea if other people’s financial circumstances. Maybe the are paying for a very sick parents old folks home bills. Maybe their spouse has a business that is losing thousands of dollars a month. Perhaps their kids need an expensive medication that isn’t covered.

Pretty f**** judgmental.
What about the financial circumstances of all the furloughed pilots? Especially those who left higher paid jobs to deal with flat pay shit, only to get laid off and now take even longer to get to formula pay?

Just don't do VO. If you care at all about your fellow co-workers. If the company can't cover with VO they will start to recall and run larger reserve coverage. Every day sooner the get our furloughed brothers and sisters back is better. That's one more day of YOS progression, another day of pension contribution and benefits coverage.

Say no to VO.

planebored
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by planebored »

tbayav8er wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:45 pm Obviously not the popular opinion here, but I don't think anyone should be doing OT while their colleagues are laid off. In other industries, if you were to pick up OT while your coworkers were laid off, you would not be looked at favourably by your peers. Pilots are different though for some reason. I get that I don't understand everyone's financial situation, but my financial situation also sucks, AND I'm laid off. Picking up OT directly delays recalls. That's irrefutable.
Try doing VO as a longshoremen when there's layoffs. Hell didn't the mx department union at Jazz or AC send a memo out telling people to not do overtime?

No idea why pilot unions can't do the same. They're all scared of it being called labour action, yet overtime is not a contractual obligation so they need to start acting with some back bone.

But then if say ACPA takes that stance, the YUL LEC Chair might be mad.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”