Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Airbusa3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post-Covid 19 Aviation Industry?

Post by Airbusa3 »

Hello Avcanada,

I finish Uni next fall and decided I'm going to work a couple of years full time in an industry I'm completing my schooling for and maybe down the line I want to become an Airline Pilot. I know the path to good WAWCON is a long one so I'm wondering if I start training part-time after Uni and after a year or year and a half I finish training will I have a better chance of moving through the system from flight instructing to Mainline carriers considering post-covid 19 their might be a boom in travel and companies are first going to call back furloughed employees then resume hiring from the regionals and the regionals picking up hiring the same way as Mainline.

Thank You,
Airbusa3
---------- ADS -----------

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Post-Covid 19 Aviation Industry?

Post by '97 Tercel »

But seriously, stay in school because this industry is fvcked.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

That was a tough read, was there a question in there?

Airbusa3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Airbusa3 »

Yea I'm sorry. I promise I dont write this bad normally. Basically I just wanted to ask were y'all think hiring will be in the industry in 2024 2025.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

It's really impossible to predict. I started my training in 2007, and when I finished my CPL in 2009, it seemed like the prospect of ever working for an airline would be an impossible task. Now, I'm going through being laid off (like many other pilots) 11 years after completing my CPL. I still wouldn't change my career path had I known back then what I know now. I enjoy flying, and it's the only line of work I've ever been interested in. I can't say how this will pan out long term, but I would assume it's going to take longer for the aviation industry to recover from this downturn than it took to recover from 9/11, SARS, and the financial crisis. With that being said, if you are extremely passionate about becoming a pilot, you will find a way to make it happen. It might just take longer to get an airline job than it took for some of the people who benefited from the good economic times of the last 5 years. Good luck!

Airbusa3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Airbusa3 »

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope we can all come out of this together with a greater passion for aviation. I want to pursue a career as a pilot but then I just start overthinking every little detail about the future like salary or the possibility that I get laid off. I just don't know if I'm cut out for the grind paying my dues up north or something like that. I'm certain travel will pick up again but I feel like I may be last in a very long list of pilots. Anyway, how do you think the federal government should support airlines? I know they have CEWS but reading this forum it seems like it dosent provide enough relief.

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

Airbusa3 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:52 pm Hello Avcanada,

I finish Uni next fall and decided I'm going to work a couple of years full time in an industry I'm completing my schooling for and maybe down the line I want to become an Airline Pilot. I know the path to good WAWCON is a long one so I'm wondering if I start training part-time after Uni and after a year or year and a half I finish training will I have a better chance of moving through the system from flight instructing to Mainline carriers considering post-covid 19 their might be a boom in travel and companies are first going to call back furloughed employees then resume hiring from the regionals and the regionals picking up hiring the same way as Mainline.

Thank You,
Airbusa3
Go do it. We can predict and guess all we want when it comes to timing and I say that as I am trying to figure out what to have for dinner tonight. The industry is bad and it WILL take time to recover, but the point is it will.

If this is your passion go for it. I wasn't lucky like you to start when I was in school but I did it later in life as a career changer. I got furloughed, however I would do it again knowing what I know now. Put the blinders on as they say and look ahead. Ignore the stuff that's happening right now in the industry and the world.

There's nothing worse than looking back on life regretting the things you did not do.

OldTimr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OldTimr »

Airbusa3 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:52 pm
Hello Avcanada,

Thank You,
Airbusa3
Go do it. We can predict and guess all we want when it comes to timing and I say that as I am trying to figure out what to have for dinner tonight. The industry is bad and it WILL take time to recover, but the point is it will.

If this is your passion go for it. I wasn't lucky like you to start when I was in school but I did it later in life as a career changer. I got furloughed, however I would do it again knowing what I know now. Put the blinders on as they say and look ahead. Ignore the stuff that's happening right now in the industry and the world.

There's nothing worse than looking back on life regretting the things you did not do.

Well, I can't disagree with Airbusa3. However I took a different path (for better or worse - not better or worse). I went to Uni and obtained a B Sc. in Mech Eng and then went on to join the RCAF. I flew Transport a/c (twin otter, hercules, AWACS in Germany) and after the conclusion of my Air Force career I was offered an Instructor role in the flight simulator role in the NATO AWACS in Germany which I did for three years before returning to Canada and a 705 Captain position. I have flown Air Force and civilian (705) positions as a Captain (A/C) and both are very different and both have their advantages and disadvantages. I am not recommending that you avoid the civilian route, but please don't disregard the Air Force path as it offers an alternate, but equally rewarding opportunity.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

How bad do you want this career? Yeah, you're likely going to be coming in at an inopportune time, but if that won't stop you (and only you will know this), then by all means go for it. Perseverance typically finds a way.

I signed up for my program the very morning the planes hit the towers. I knew that day, that my entry into aviation would be a challenge, and it has been that and more at times. Friends of mine are well into their careers at AC (never made it on) and I'm still hanging on for dear life, though, lucky to hold a seat. Otherwise, I'm fortunate to own a place in my home city, have some nice toys and a pretty awesome wife who puts up with this roller coaster ride. I wouldn't trade this career for anything else.

Go for it bud!

citizenbanana
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by citizenbanana »

Tough to say. There was a shortage before Covid, now the older pilots are retiring and some of the younger ones are being forced into other careers due to layoffs. Not sure if there are less new students due to poor job prospects or not. But my guess is when this is all over these factors will create another larger shortage, could be shortly after your done training. Nobody knows for certain, if you like flying just go for it.

Airbusa3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Airbusa3 »

Thanks for all the insight guys!!! I really like how the industry has this brotherhood associated with it and I feel like pursuing this dream I'm gonna make many friends. It's better if I, or any young aviator, dosent think too much about the future but just pursues their passion.

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

Airbusa3 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:09 pm Thanks for all the insight guys!!! I really like how the industry has this brotherhood associated with it and I feel like pursuing this dream I'm gonna make many friends. It's better if I, or any young aviator, dosent think too much about the future but just pursues their passion.
Right on, man. Enjoy the training and keep the blue side up.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Airbusa3 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:09 pm Thanks for all the insight guys!!! I really like how the industry has this brotherhood associated with it and I feel like pursuing this dream I'm gonna make many friends. It's better if I, or any young aviator, dosent think too much about the future but just pursues their passion.
Go ahead and read through these forums. You will see how this “brotherhood “ constantly f@cks eachother over.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:49 pm
Go ahead and read through these forums. You will see how this “brotherhood “ constantly f@cks eachother over.
^^^^ YEP. This forum can bring out the worst in people..ignore the trolls and have a laugh. Some people get off to see others fail or go through tough times. Hopefully things go in your favour during your training. Have fun.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

172ReliefPilot wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:51 pm
JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:49 pm
^^^^ YEP. This forum can bring out the worst in people..ignore the trolls and have a laugh. Some people get off to see others fail or go through tough times. Hopefully things go in your favour during your training. Have fun.
Na...this is what Johnny is 8)

Attachments
Realists.jpg
Realists.jpg (44.25 KiB) Viewed 4015 times
Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

After reading this thread I saw an ad on this forum that made me laugh... I also laughed at the "Realist" meme.

Define "faster"... Worth a quick Google search. Ties optional, open collars mandatory!

Attachments
Trg1.png
Trg1.png (477.25 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

You shouldn't have to sport a tie in a plane so small that shoulders overlap.

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

'97 Tercel wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:58 pm You shouldn't have to sport a tie in a plane so small that shoulders overlap.
That was the takeaway? How about advertising the “Become an airline pilot faster” part? I guess someday is technically “faster” than never.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

For what it is worth, going up north was sometimes crappy pay, but never one second of it wasn't fun. I don't have any idea if doing it is good or bad for a career, but mine didn't really pan out. Bad timing is my middle name.

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

ayseven wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:59 pm For what it is worth, going up north was sometimes crappy pay, but never one second of it wasn't fun. I don't have any idea if doing it is good or bad for a career, but mine didn't really pan out. Bad timing is my middle name.
What about the forklift part?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”