How rusty do you feel you're going to be?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... fety-fears

What are airlines going to do to bring their pilots back up to speed?

I haven't flown since March. I pull out the manuals and study something about once a week.

What are you doing keep your head in the game for
your return?

Do you think the focus for government financial assistance should shift to address this issue too? It does present a safety issue and risk to public safety. Or is it an "elephant in the room" type question to bring up to the flying public?
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: How rusty do you feel you're going to be?

Post by Rockie »

GoHomeLeg wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:11 am https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... fety-fears

What are airlines going to do to bring their pilots back up to speed?

I haven't flown since March. I pull out the manuals and study something about once a week.

What are you doing keep your head in the game for
your return?

Do you think the focus for government financial assistance should shift to address this issue too? It does present a safety issue and risk to public safety. Or is it an "elephant in the room" type question to bring up to the flying public?
It's certainly an issue being away from the game for any length of time, but conscientiously keeping up on reading and furthering your "book knowledge" goes a very long way to easing your return to the cockpit. For proficiency your company will have a training program (at TC's insistence) to bring you back up to speed before letting you go.

Unless you're very lucky most pilots end up returning to flying after some interuption which in the case of the military can last years. You'll be surprised at how much you retain.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I left my job at Jazz in 2014 to try my hand at ATC. After almost 3 years of ATC training, circumstances dictated that I chose to return to flying. Without stepping foot in an aircraft in almost 3 years, I got a job in 2017 as an F/O on a 737.

I found the learning curve wasn't that difficult, and after a few SIM sessions, I was essentially back where I was before I left Jazz.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Somewhere around 1980 Honda Civic. Perhaps 1978 Toyota Celica.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

Mach1 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:06 pm How rusty do you feel you're going to be?

:lol: good one

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Mach1 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:06 pm How rusty do you feel you're going to be?

Well, better than a '75 Pinto, at least.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

GoHomeLeg wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:11 am It does present a safety issue and risk to public safety. Or is it an "elephant in the room" type question to bring up to the flying public?
There is no risk, and no elephant in the room on this subject. Just go look at the company operations manual, it's well stated in there. It may be different for your company, but, the TC boilerplate basically says that if you are current (valid ppc) when called back, you can go strait to the airplane. If your ppc is expired, then you need to go strait to the classroom and simulator for a short course. If it's expired more than 2 years, you go to the classroom and sim for the full initial course.

The next part will depend on how your company operates, but, after coming out of the course it's more than likely the line indoc bullets need to be ticked off on you training records.

If after a sim and classroom course, followed by a line indoc, you are still unsafe to fly around the public, then there is a larger problem...

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:02 pm Well, better than a '75 Pinto, at least.
Oh my, no. Definitely not that rusty. I certainly hope no gets 1985 Hyundai Pony rusty.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Y'all can become FS2020 Youtube pro's.

smooth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by smooth »

Have not flown since April, I practice sop and flows once a week to keep "current"... :cry:

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I found it a lot of work to come back at an airline level, so many flows, and very specifically worded sops. A lot of my coworkers have admitted they struggled with coming back to a recurrent sim, one training session and a ride. Anything under 2 years and all you need is recurrent training. The way our COM is written if you haven't done your 6 month recurrent before layoff then you get 2 sessions and a ride. Still a lot of work.

Our company will let you ride along in the sim as an observer on someone else's training which can help jog your memory a great deal. If the training is across the country then it might not be feasible in which case getting together with a coworker and practicing flows and calls is a great idea.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

smooth wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:24 pm Have not flown since April, I practice sop and flows once a week to keep "current"... :cry:
I did for the first few months till about august and then kinda went.. :? who knows how long thisll be. Perhaps I should open the books up again

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

What makes most sense is to do one or more observation flights prior to starting training. You see the normal operation and can ask questions.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

We need Henri or 748HO to chime in here, and tell us how they plan to do it! :smt040

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

I am out of the game, sort of.

But.....retirement jobs have shed light on the rustiness issue. The long and short is that it's just like riding a bike. You never forget that.

Chill out, flying a plane is easy. Just like riding a bike.

But of course, for the few who never knew how to ride a bike, well.....that's a different story........

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

North Shore wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:18 am We need Henri or 748HO to chime in here, and tell us how they plan to do it! :smt040
Yes, Henri has been silent too long. Maybe he packed up and left when Jazz got rid of the Dash-8 100's. I could only imagine his narrative trying to learn to fly the Q or God forbid the RJ.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

confusedalot wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:38 pm Chill out, flying a plane is easy. Just like riding a bike.

But of course, for the few who never knew how to ride a bike, well.....that's a different story........
Yikes. If you can find a better argument to not take up professional flying at 40, I'd love to hear it.

(I can ride a bike like a demon)

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”