Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

COVID vaccination advice for Airline crew

Post by Eric Janson »

From EASA
On a different topic, we have received several questions from the Member States and industry regarding the use of vaccines for aviation personnel,:
Currently several countries around the world have authorised the prophylactic use of vaccines to prevent potential infections with SARS-CoV-2 and development of COVID-19. Several vaccines are currently being assessed by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) in terms of their effectiveness and safety, with the aim of approving them for use in the EU Member States. Updated information on this process is expected to be released by EMA on or after December 21, 2020.
Due to the fact that for each vaccine there are potential adverse reactions, which are difficult to assess in terms of their severity, duration and impact without proper documentation and evidence, EASA strongly recommends that European medical certificate holders and cabin crew medical report holders should not receive any vaccine which has not been approved by EMA.
Vaccination with such vaccines could potentially have an impact on flight safety in the context of the requirements of MED.A.020 (a) and ATCO.MED.A.0202(a).
If, despite EASA’s strong recommendation, European medical certificate holders and cabin crew medical report holders choose to receive a vaccine which is not approved by EMA, they shall be required not to exercise the privileges of their licence and related ratings or certificates, and student pilots shall not fly solo, for a duration of minimum 30 days after receiving such a vaccine.
Aircraft operators and ANSPs should take appropriate measures to ensure that this restriction is strictly implemented.
Once EMA has issued its vaccination approvals, EASA will issue guidance on the vaccination of aeronautical personnel.
Good advice imho - my company is advising us not to get vaccinations at the present time.
---------- ADS -----------

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: COVID vaccination advice for Airline crew

Post by montado »

I think its absolutely ridiculous either way you slice this.

If you feel you or your family are at a significant risk to covid and want the vaccine ASAP, no one should hold this against you. It would be reasonable to wait 24 hours and then go flying if no adverse reaction. Its not like you will fall out of the sky because a vaccine you took two weeks ago.

Also without extensive approval and testing, I also don't think its appropriate to make the vaccine mandatory. At the very least give it on a voluntary basis, see the progress and then at that point you could make a decision if it needs to be mandatory. Making a vaccine mandatory is a slippery slope, even though we are highly certain the current vaccines are safe and effective.

What if we did something absolutely crazy... like let people make a decisions for themselves for the next year.... then maybe 2022 we can go back to our good'ol control the population ways of 2020 and be lemmings again.

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

Eric Janson wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:50 am From EASA
On a different topic, we have received several questions from the Member States and industry regarding the use of vaccines for aviation personnel,:
Currently several countries around the world have authorised the prophylactic use of vaccines to prevent potential infections with SARS-CoV-2 and development of COVID-19. Several vaccines are currently being assessed by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) in terms of their effectiveness and safety, with the aim of approving them for use in the EU Member States. Updated information on this process is expected to be released by EMA on or after December 21, 2020.
Due to the fact that for each vaccine there are potential adverse reactions, which are difficult to assess in terms of their severity, duration and impact without proper documentation and evidence, EASA strongly recommends that European medical certificate holders and cabin crew medical report holders should not receive any vaccine which has not been approved by EMA.
Vaccination with such vaccines could potentially have an impact on flight safety in the context of the requirements of MED.A.020 (a) and ATCO.MED.A.0202(a).
If, despite EASA’s strong recommendation, European medical certificate holders and cabin crew medical report holders choose to receive a vaccine which is not approved by EMA, they shall be required not to exercise the privileges of their licence and related ratings or certificates, and student pilots shall not fly solo, for a duration of minimum 30 days after receiving such a vaccine.
Aircraft operators and ANSPs should take appropriate measures to ensure that this restriction is strictly implemented.
Once EMA has issued its vaccination approvals, EASA will issue guidance on the vaccination of aeronautical personnel.
Good advice imho - my company is advising us not to get vaccinations at the present time.
The key statement here is "vaccine which has not approved by EMA". Seems like a pretty obvious statement to me. In many countries the Pfizer and now Moderna vaccines have been approved.

Transport Canada has the exact same policies. Approved vaccines are acceptable but they do recommend you don't get vaccinated on your way to work.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

I understand the Pfizer CEO has not been vaccinated with his own product.

Doesn't inspire confidence if this is correct.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Eric Janson wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:49 pm I understand the Pfizer CEO has not been vaccinated with his own product.

Doesn't inspire confidence if this is correct.
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/361825

"Bourla pointed out that the vaccine has not been injected because it is not in the age range of those who should receive it first.

"I am 59 years old, I am in good health, I am not in the first line, so for my type it is not recommended to get vaccinated now," explained the senior executive in an interview with CNBC . "As soon as I can, I will ."

Aware of the influence it can have on the population, regarding their decision on whether or not to receive the vaccine, the CEO of the pharmaceutical company stated that he would consider receiving it sooner.

Bourla explained that the surveys carried out by the pharmacist itself reveal that people would be more willing to be vaccinated if the CEO of the company is inoculated first. Respondents considered that the vaccination of the CEO of Pfizer would be more decisive than if the president-elect, Joe Biden, received the drug.

"With that in mind, I'm trying to find a way to get vaccinated, even if it's not my time, just to show confidence in the company," he said. He stressed that the product met all the standards for approval and asked people to trust it. "It is a vaccine that was developed without taking shortcuts," he said."

Commonwealth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Commonwealth »

What about the other side of the coin-how does contracting COVID impact your medical?

Of course do not take an unapproved vaccine.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Commonwealth wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:19 pm What about the other side of the coin-how does contracting COVID impact your medical?

Of course do not take an unapproved vaccine.
Like any other illness - you are unfit to fly until you recover. Several people at my Airline have already been through this process. There is no issue with the medical that I am aware of.

Just a negative PCR test before starting work - I've taken quite a few of these already.

My concern is long term health effects from taking a vaccine that has been rushed into service.

Who is liable if you lose your licence as a result? Pharmaceutical companies are not liable in any way.

Does your loss of licence insurance cover this? Probably a good idea to find out.

On a personal note - I have been designated "Essential Personnel" in one country due to the nature of the flights I do. I suspect I'm quite high on the vaccination list as a result.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Eric Janson wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:57 am On a personal note - I have been designated "Essential Personnel" in one country due to the nature of the flights I do. I suspect I'm quite high on the vaccination list as a result.
Me too. I really hope they won't make it mandatory. I'm more afraid of that than actually contracting COVID.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

There's always unpaid leave.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I hope not too many people think like you guys. The only chance most of us have at getting back to work is large scale vaccination.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

ant_321 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:25 pm I hope not too many people think like you guys. The only chance most of us have at getting back to work is large scale vaccination.
+1

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

As a member of the paying, flying public, I am wary of going on an airplane til this all gets sorted. So industry will not significantly improve until then, because I am fairly certain I am not the only one. If I were told quietly that the pilots had the shot(s), I would be more inclined. TC has to be the most conservative gang ever, and will most certainly wait for other countries before ever changing their tune. I think not letting pilots get a potentially life saving vaccine is a human rights issue. C'mon TC, I want to go on a trip!!!

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

ant_321 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:25 pm I hope not too many people think like you guys. The only chance most of us have at getting back to work is large scale vaccination.
I dont think it's going to be an issue in the near future. There are currently hodge podge systems in place all over the world involving closed borders, quarantine times, negative tests, etc. This is all because of a virus for which there was no vaccination available, but there are now multiple vaccinations available and mass distribution has begun.

My expectation, by April most of the hodge podge of different rules will be gone in most places, all replaced by a single consistent rule. Proof of covid vaccination will be a requirement for entry in a lot of countries, and it will do away with the hodge podge of differing rule sets, as well as quarantines etc.

There will be other more localized requirements show up in areas that dont make it an entry requirement for the country. As an example, I expect cruise ships to make it a hard and fast requirement sooner rather than later, they wont be letting anybody on board that isn't vaccinated. That industry cant afford another publicity disaster like they had this year when ships had guests die on board with countries refusing to let them dock.

For folks doing long haul, the choice will be simple, get the jab or stay home.

Torontomaplelaughs
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Torontomaplelaughs »

I don’t really understand what people expect.

A new & transmittable virus appears and the world locks down. The only path forward is herd immunity but it is decided that the natural way of doing this too brutal.

So we are told to wait while the world’s brightest get to work. Lo and behold vaccines are developed and clinical trials are conducted. Several are ready for mass inoculation. Finally, a solution that doesn’t involve people wearing dirty cloth masks and actually makes sense.

But...now people are saying they feel the doctors “rushed” when the world was desperate for a quick solution. So I guess we just continue with the current path of a focus on cases and caves? Crush a few more businesses and some more industries?

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Torontomaplelaughs wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:34 pm I don’t really understand what people expect.

A new & transmittable virus appears and the world locks down. The only path forward is herd immunity but it is decided that the natural way of doing this too brutal.

So we are told to wait while the world’s brightest get to work. Lo and behold vaccines are developed and clinical trials are conducted. Several are ready for mass inoculation. Finally, a solution that doesn’t involve people wearing dirty cloth masks and actually makes sense.

But...now people are saying they feel the doctors “rushed” when the world was desperate for a quick solution. So I guess we just continue with the current path of a focus on cases and caves? Crush a few more businesses and some more industries?
If health care workers and everyone over 65 gets the vaccine our ICUs should be empty of covid cases. The way I see it is we only need to vaccinate 25 percent of our population before the pandemic is over in Canada. Of course there are so many variables and public health could keep pumping fear or say a new strain is more deadly for younger people. Regardless I think 7 out of 10 people will have zero issue getting the shot and by March we will see Americans first feel a huge weight lifted... Canada is a little slow to vaccinate but a couple month later we will see the results that will trail Americans. We can watch south of the border to better predict what percent of our population vaccinated will be key turning points. So I expect things to get normal pretty fast and we probably won’t see a huge push to force people to vaccinate. Let’s hope we see results soon... Americans should be very excited. 7 percent of population vaccinated be end of next month! This is insane how fast things are moving now.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Torontomaplelaughs wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:34 pm I don’t really understand what people expect.

Give the vaccines to the most vulnerable group, which is also the one that is least affected by long term effects: the 60/70+.

Give the vaccines to people with pre existing conditions, for whom the risks outweigh the benefits.

And sure, make it available for anyone else who wanta it, but don't make it mandatory. Less than a year of testing is simply not enough to determine long term effects.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

ayseven wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:56 pm As a member of the paying, flying public, I am wary of going on an airplane til this all gets sorted. So industry will not significantly improve until then, because I am fairly certain I am not the only one. If I were told quietly that the pilots had the shot(s), I would be more inclined. TC has to be the most conservative gang ever, and will most certainly wait for other countries before ever changing their tune. I think not letting pilots get a potentially life saving vaccine is a human rights issue. C'mon TC, I want to go on a trip!!!
You're right to be concerned.

As soon as boarding is announced all Social Distancing goes out of the window.

No Social Distancing at all on board - you have no idea what you are being exposed to. Nobody is going to answer 'Yes' to the symptom questions on the Health Declaration imho.

I position regularly and regard this as the most hazardous activity I do.

COVID-19 has become about Politics not science imho.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:05 am As soon as boarding is announced all Social Distancing goes out of the window.

No Social Distancing at all on board - you have no idea what you are being exposed to. Nobody is going to answer 'Yes' to the symptom questions on the Health Declaration imho.

I'm pretty sure you know that the airflow in an airplane comes in above head level and is pulled out from foot level vents creating a downward flow vs. lateral, is completely changed every 2-3 minutes, and passes through HEPA filters that remove 99% of particulates including this virus. If people wear masks like they're supposed to the risk of getting Covid actually on the airplane is much, much lower than it is sitting in the terminal. That's the science.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Rockie wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:54 am
Eric Janson wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:05 am As soon as boarding is announced all Social Distancing goes out of the window.

I'm pretty sure you know that the airflow in an airplane comes in above head level and is pulled out from foot level vents creating a downward flow vs. lateral, is completely changed every 2-3 minutes, and passes through HEPA filters that remove 99% of particulates including this virus. If people wear masks like they're supposed to the risk of getting Covid actually on the airplane is much, much lower than it is sitting in the terminal. That's the science.
That's in cruise. What's the air exchange like before start or after shutdown?

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

I take it you are not a pilot? Or at least not a commercial pilot? I hope you are being genuine with your question and not trying to be a smart ass. Because If you are being genuine I will answer it for you.

The same. Packs are on before and after engine start and work with the APU running. Engines do not need to be operating to have airflow. Also there are new covid health procedures where flight crew have air on high on the ground at all times PAX are on board.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”