Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Essential Travel

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

WHAT IS ESSENTIAL TRAVEL?

"During times of national lockdowns travel can be restricted to what is termed essential travel. It means that people should not be travelling for leisure purposes and should only be travelling for essential reasons, such as: for work, for a funeral or medical purposes.

Is this really that hard to understand, what am I missing :?
---------- ADS -----------

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Essential Travel

Post by FL320 »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:51 am WHAT IS ESSENTIAL TRAVEL?

"During times of national lockdowns travel can be restricted to what is termed essential travel. It means that people should not be travelling for leisure purposes and should only be travelling for essential reasons, such as: for work, for a funeral or medical purposes.

People travel for their well-being and mental health which falls in medical purposes which falls in the essential travel category. Hard to contest.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

FL320 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:01 am
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:51 am WHAT IS ESSENTIAL TRAVEL?

People travel for their well-being and mental health which falls in medical purposes which falls in the essential travel category. Hard to contest.
Please tell me your not seriously thinking this is "valid" essential travel; unless supported with a medical prescription, otherwise forget it.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Non essential travel is requested not prohibited

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Maybe what's most important is identifying who is and who is not a hypocrite.

Randy hillier may be on your shit list but at least he is not hiding out saying one thing and doing another like most of our politicians.

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

“ Canadian citizens and permanent residents are advised to avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice to limit the spread of COVID-19.”

This is the direct quote from the Government of Canada Public Health website. Note that this is an advisory, not a restriction or a ban. We live, or at least aspire to live, in a free country where we do our best to give our citizens as much information as possible and allow them to make their own decisions, travel-related or otherwise, based upon that information. If you, as a responsible adult, have assessed the publicly available information and decide that due to your own personal circumstances, you are not comfortable with traveling at the present time, then, by all means, do not travel.

If another person reviews the same information and the same government advisories and they decide that they are comfortable with traveling, they are also permitted to do so. One thing I have noticed since the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak is that others have become very quick to make decisions for people of whom they have no knowledge of their personal circumstances, and dictate to them what they should and should not do. I would humbly submit that one should make the best possible decision for oneself and allow others to do the same.

As an aside, for all those concerned citizens who are terrified of someone bringing COVID-19 back with them from Cancun or Varadero, that we are seeing nearly 6,000 new daily cases between Ontario and Quebec. For the months of September, October, and November, we saw 163, 197, and 280 new cases respectively that were associated with international air travel, and that’s per month for the entire country. We’re talking less than 10 new cases per day, all of whom are required to quarantine for 14 days, at a point where we’re adding thousands of new cases per day due to community spread. It’s statistically insignificant and if you live in Montreal or Toronto, I’d be much more worried about catching COVID-19 from the grocery store or pharmacy than I would a chance encounter with someone who has returned from vacation and skipped their quarantine.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Cavalier44 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:46 pm As an aside, for all those concerned citizens who are terrified of someone bringing COVID-19 back with them from Cancun or Varadero, that we are seeing nearly 6,000 new daily cases between Ontario and Quebec. For the months of September, October, and November, we saw 163, 197, and 280 new cases respectively that were associated with international air travel, and that’s per month for the entire country. We’re talking less than 10 new cases per day, all of whom are required to quarantine for 14 days, at a point where we’re adding thousands of new cases per day due to community spread. It’s statistically insignificant and if you live in Montreal or Toronto, I’d be much more worried about catching COVID-19 from the grocery store or pharmacy than I would a chance encounter with someone who has returned from vacation and skipped their quarantine.
And this is just it the risk while traveling is very low. Infact the risk of getting covid out in public at any time is so minimal. The number of active covid cases and that fact symptomatic people are isolating makes your chance of getting covid statistically zero while out in public. This is so even without masks, you still won't get covid.

Where is covid spreading? By a mile, its from LTC workers and hospital staff. These people are the ones who bring it home and spread to their close contacts. No one wants to admit it but it's completely idiotic the policy such as closing biz or shitting on the travel industry to stop the spread.

It is so ridiculous that psws, nurses etc bring home covid, and as cases rise they keep closing one business or another and doubling down on the stupidity... Have you noticed that no matter what the government policy is it seems to have zero impact on cases?

People like rockie can't think and double down on enforcement of mask policy... Big thumbs up for masks right rockie? Masks are working right? Lmao... Why can't provinces just publish the fact that the majority of the cases are close contact with a healthcare worker. If you get covid it's most likely a close contact with or with someone else who was close contact with a health care worker. What policy has been implemented to help that? 2020 has been the year of doubling down on stupidity, driven by hysteria. At this point I can't even believe average people still buy onto the ridiculous policy. Media driven looney toons is how I will remember this year.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

montado wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:35 pm People like rockie can't think and double down on enforcement of mask policy... Big thumbs up for masks right rockie? Masks are working right? Lmao... Why can't provinces just publish the fact that the majority of the cases are close contact with a healthcare worker. If you get covid it's most likely a close contact with or with someone else who was close contact with a health care worker. What policy has been implemented to help that? 2020 has been the year of doubling down on stupidity, driven by hysteria. At this point I can't even believe average people still buy onto the ridiculous policy. Media driven looney toons is how I will remember this year.
On what basis do you assert the majority of cases are a result of close contact with a healthcare worker? You ask why the provinces don't publish it indicating you got your information somewhere else. Where is that?

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Rockie wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:20 am
montado wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:35 pm People like rockie can't think and double down on enforcement of mask policy... Big thumbs up for masks right rockie? Masks are working right? Lmao... Why can't provinces just publish the fact that the majority of the cases are close contact with a healthcare worker. If you get covid it's most likely a close contact with or with someone else who was close contact with a health care worker. What policy has been implemented to help that? 2020 has been the year of doubling down on stupidity, driven by hysteria. At this point I can't even believe average people still buy onto the ridiculous policy. Media driven looney toons is how I will remember this year.
On what basis do you assert the majority of cases are a result of close contact with a healthcare worker? You ask why the provinces don't publish it indicating you got your information somewhere else. Where is that?
Well rockie you got me... I just made that up... But when I saw Ontario and many other places around the globe say we need to vaccinate those most at risk, and they said we need to vaccinate doctors, nurses, psw, those in LTC homes and elderly... I think that adds up to where this disease spreads most.

You can close ski hills and mom and pop shops... But I think we can all accept the fact that you are most likely to catch covid in an LTC home or a covid unit at a hospital. And the way this pandemic has been managed is that these staff all go home every night and then the door is open to spread to their family and kids. And then you have a few community spread cases, but obviously much more limited than the outbreaks in LTC and hospitals. It doesn't take a genius to figure out when you put covid patients in a room, anyone treating them is high risk. Hence in my earlier post I suggested they could open covid units and pay high wages to workers to isolate from family and live away from home.

I think doctors and nurses are pro lockdown to punish the general public... Doctors and nurses are not stupid. They know covid is not spreading out in the community like a plague... Look at every dumb idea our politicians have come up with and see how none of them really work to prevent the spread. Health care professionals know most of the spread is happening among them in the workplace and in LTC. If this was not the case they would be sending the vaccine where the spread is happening. Is this rational or am I making things up? Of all the confirmed cases of covid I would like to know how many are healthcare providers, or live in a household with a health care provider. I would think they would make up a huge amount of the cases. So if you want to stop the spread at the source we should be asking why health care providers are out in our community. Just a thought! I mean closing business to stop the spread and provincial wide lockdown is probably less effective than setting up a rotational covid unit where staff are supported, paid fairly, and make it impossible for them to spread into their own family. Call it a reverse lockdown... Find covid cases and put them into isolation... Don't tell them to sit at home and try not to get your family sick... That's stupid but that's what people are doing and what they are told to do. Mostly just throwing out some ideas that seem more rational to me. I can't see how our lockdown has been effective, and it's causing lots of economic damage. So is it worth it? Honestly somethings I think doing nothing at all we would have come out ahead in the long run. Who knows... We aren't savings lives locking down and business are going bankrupt. Is this the best we could do? I don't think so.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

See rockie.. Here is an example. 20 staff in one LTC home infected... Where do these people go after work? Home? Isolate with their family? So let's say family of 4 on average and now they infect half the people in their household, and then maybe these family members also go visit extended family over a holiday before being symptomatic... This one LTC home outbreak of 20 staff turns into a couple hundred covid cases easily no? Were infections really spreading at the businesses we closed? Or is it more logical to trace how most of the new cases come to be? One LTC home... Hundreds of cases linked... Close the restaurants... That did nothing noticeable, close the gyms, still little effect, close the small business, close the schools, lockdown you name it... At this point it's become more the ridiculous the way we are managing. I'm not saying no
covid is spreading in the community at all, of course there's the odd case. But the way people are wearing masks and the hysteria is ridiculous considering the most likely reality of how covid is spreading.

So this said, would it be fair to call a spade a spade and can you think of any way to implement a logical policy to prevent spreading covid. Like if we could only have a couple simple policies that you could guarantee would be effective what would it be? Start with the biggest problems no? Telling everyone to wear a cloth mask has already proven to be ineffective... Whether it's because we are wearing them wrong or they just don't work, I'll leave that to you... But obviously we are locking down and that says it's not working good enough.

So now we are broke... Cases are all time high death are up ICU are full... And Ford has to make a decision... Will he extend lockdown and cancel more school, or will we open back up? If we open up we will have to ask why did we lockdown and did it work? Hmm. Thank goodness for the vaccine as its the only logical thing we have left on the table...
Screenshot_20210101-213410.png
Screenshot_20210101-213410.png (1.61 MiB) Viewed 2221 times
Screenshot_20210101-215558.png
Screenshot_20210101-215558.png (632.79 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
https://www.registerednursing.org/cdc-e ... derstated/

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

This is all you needed to say. It's the one bright pearl of factual reality amongst all the rest of the BS.
montado wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm I just made that up

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Rockie wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:13 am This is all you needed to say. It's the one bright pearl of factual reality amongst all the rest of the BS.
montado wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm I just made that up
I'm sure everyone would be interested to hear how you would armchair quarterback this pandemic. Let's say the death rate was 10x as bad and we have to deal with a pandemic all over... Would you just double down on the policy we have had so far? So far all you have posted is your little grumblings about masks but you can't answer why all these places with mandatory masks heave high cases and need to lockdown.

Double down there Rockie. Maybe introduce the quadruple layer mask then scratch your head and say "why won't covid go away!"

Until people realize covid isn't some mythical fairy dust that dances around until it finds your nose and magically infects you, of course it will spread. If people were given real data on close contacts, HCWs it would be pretty obvious how this spreads and how idiotic policies are. You really don't question why HCWs account for 20 percent of cases and there are little measures to prevent them spreading this to family? Go wear your mask and shout out from a small business that they should close lol... Yeah that will stop this! Why a year into this we just had an outbreak in a NICU because a HCW went in the unit with covid. Why haven't covid cases been separated from the rest of our healthcare? China built a covid hospital, looks like that got things under control for them but who knows about their secret ways. Ford's idea of stopping the spread is having all our HCWs get covid then blame the average Joe at a ski hill that he is the problem. Completely idiotic.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

montado wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:31 am I'm sure everyone would be interested to hear how you would armchair quarterback this pandemic.
What is the matter with you? I've said a thousand times I'm not smarter or more qualified than the experts and I will never presume to be. Try it sometime.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Deteriorating into the usual "I'd like an argument, please. Yes it is! No it isn't!" :smt014

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”