Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

“ Finding a Pilot Job” and Networking

Post by McKinley »

:idea: in https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLUNrH7x ... e=youtu.be

I watched this video ...

The poster has a some points buried underneath a unique delivery style.

In my 20 + years in aviation I have never referred to networking as “ leveraging connections.” - please don’t do this.

Let’s be honest, you were understandably crapping your pants with a baby on the way and no job while unemployment was at record a record high in Canada and in aviation.You called a friend and you were lucky someone threw you a bone. ( I would have been crapping my pants in your shoes) why the “ leverage” language ? This feels like the humanity and humility of the situation has been removed. ( to me)

I agree that networking is important. With that said, when someone gives me an internal reference I don’t dare refer to this as “leveraging” my buddies. Also, the kind thing to do is reciprocate when they are in need. ( this got missed)

I’m currently unemployed as a pilot the skills I’ve learned as a pilot as far as work ethic goes have carried me.

I’m working in the outdoor industry in an entry level position and it does not pay as well and it’s nowhere near as prestigious..( my employer was honest about that) but I work with a great group of people who are respectful and there’s considerable room for growth from my present position . Morale in the organization is very high and I’m treated very very well. ( this is also worth something) I know I’ll likely get a great reference if I continue on my present path once I’m done that will carry me regardless.

I did get the job from a friend... I’m thankful and go to work and bust my ass and have a good time. And I’m thankful for this friend’s help.

I would have never said I “ leveraged” this individual. I asked for a job when I was in need of one and someone took me under their wing. ( much like my first flying job)

At the same time, I looking for work in the health and wellness field .. I won’t be starting at the top there either.

The same principles that I used at my first Bush job have been invaluable: honesty, work ethic, willingness /eagerness to learn, ability to admit I screwed up, ability to take constructive criticism, humility, asking when I genuinely done know, customer service and my ability to share some laughs at the end of the day and be fun to work with.

The state or aviation in Canada is frightening.. starting a new career is frightening. ( for me) I’ve tried to remember these things as I potentially start a new career and I think it’s going to help.

I have no clue where I’ll end up.. I know I’ll stick to what I learned as a new pilot and it’ll serve me well.

If I go back to flying, I know I will be coming back to the cockpit with a greater appreciation for flying and hopefully with some more humility. ( this does not mean there isn’t issues in our industry)
---------- ADS -----------

“Bob”
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: “ Finding a Pilot Job” and Networking

Post by “Bob” »

Don’t you know?

Leveraging is an alpha male term.

160tonoaha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 160tonoaha »

Didn’t you know your network is your net worth?

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Wonder if he would have made the video If his "friend" didn't help him find a job..

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Last edited by alkaseltzer on Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

That's fucking brutal.

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

altiplano wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:47 pm That's fucking brutal.

It wouldn’t be how I’d look at the world, buddies or my employer that’s for sure. ( how sad)

Something rubbed me the wrong way and I wanted to address it without the thread devolving into a dumpster fire.

With that said, the more I pontificate his YouTube post, the more I actually feel sorry for him.

It would have been easy to make this less cheesy. It would be easily possible to make this video somewhat unifying, upbeat, and humble. Then again, I wouldn’t make a video about this..

I wish the fellow the best of luck with his new baby/ family and his career at cargo jet.

I hope we can all come out the other side of this mess.. better than we went in and take something positive out of this experience. ( which I know is a very tall order to ask the universe etc)

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

That was painful, what a clown. So this guy gets turned down a couple times, fills the web with ridiculous videos about how much money he made at Jazz and slams AC. Somehow eventually gets hired and by luck of the draw gets a 767 endorsement, which is his ticket to C.J.

And that is worthy of a video?

Upside - he will be on probation on return and everyone knows his name. How about you save the paperwork and stay at C.J.

Captain Kirkk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Captain Kirkk »

You guys are just disappointed my prestige networking skills landed me a job on a flagship aircraft, and you guys are all still furloughed.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

Captain Kirkk wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:13 pm You guys are just disappointed my prestige networking skills landed me a job on a flagship aircraft, and you guys are all still furloughed.
This might be one of the least tactful and outright embarrassing comments I've seen a long time.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Captain Kirkk wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:13 pm You guys are just disappointed my prestige networking skills landed me a job on a flagship aircraft, and you guys are all still furloughed.
I am not furloughed, still think you’re a douchenozzle! Sure glad your stay at Jazz was short, good luck with your probation, sounds like you’ll need it.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

This one post is capable of doing more damage to your career than any furlough could ever do. You are going about this the absolute wrong way bud.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

You guys are getting trolled hard. I don’t think that’s the superhero who made the vid. An extra K

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

2112 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:49 pm
This one post is capable of doing more damage to your career than any furlough could ever do. You are going about this the absolute wrong way bud.
I'd love to know if anyone in HR or generally any higher up individual at CJ is reading this shit. You can bet it'll get around to guys inside and out of the company and it won't be a good look.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

Hangry wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:13 pm You guys are getting trolled hard. I don’t think that’s the superhero who made the vid. An extra K
Lol yeah that might be the case. I don't know if that's super funny or if it's almost as douchey as the original video

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Hangry wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:13 pm You guys are getting trolled hard. I don’t think that’s the superhero who made the vid. An extra K
Good catch.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”