American Airlines has paid off 2.8 billion in loans ..

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

American Airlines has paid off 2.8 billion in loans ..

Post by McKinley »

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... mic-loans/

I’ve been hoping for a rebound in Canadian aviation.. it’s possible . With that said, I think Canada may be in a league of its own.
---------- ADS -----------

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: American Airlines has paid off 2.8 billion in loans ..

Post by Zaibatsu »

How big is American again compared to the entire Canadian airline industry? :smt017

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

Good point... Way bigger ...

With far more vaccinations per capita than Canada. Where are we in terms of vaccinations? 55th globally? With a far smaller population... good point.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kOcrLFT2GSE

The point is that I find it frustrating to watch our industry being denuded to a shadow of its former self.( WJ just laid off another 400 employees) Meanwhile, other countries airlines begin to take flight again . ( no pun intended)

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

McKinley wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:53 pm Good point... Way bigger ...

With far more vaccinations per capita than Canada. Where are we in terms of vaccinations? 55th globally? With a far smaller population... good point.

The point is that I find it frustrating to watch our industry being denuded to a shadow of its former self.( WJ just laid off another 400 employees) Meanwhile, other countries airlines begin to take flight again . ( no pun intended)
The thing that REALLY gets me is we're making tons and tons of permanent concessions for a temporary problem. The Americans managed to negotiate future raises during covid.

Air Canada signs 10 year contracts and we'll happily break them if the industry gets tough, but if things are going well and we want better wages or conditions, too bad a deals a deal!

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

newlygrounded wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:26 pm

The thing that REALLY gets me is we're making tons and tons of permanent concessions for a temporary problem. The Americans managed to negotiate future raises during covid.

Air Canada signs 10 year contracts and we'll happily break them if the industry gets tough, but if things are going well and we want better wages or conditions, too bad a deals a deal!
Yup! Exactly. How is it after each “ recession” WAWCON goes lower and never really recovers. This crisis will be no different with more concessions. It feels like the workers are are routinely drawing the short straw. I think inflation will go mental..so wages are going to decrease enough as it is relative to inflation. On top of that, taxes will need to head north to pay for the COVID spending spree with debatable results at best. it’s the taxpayer that will be paying for this. And, our 50-100 billion industry is in the tank.

I can’t seem to wrap my brain around this whole thing. It literally makes zero sense.

I saw an article talking about the next pandemic in 2030... :p.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

McKinley wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:45 pm
newlygrounded wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:26 pm

Yup! Exactly. How is it after each “ recession” WAWCON goes lower and never really recovers. This crisis will be no different with more concessions. It feels like the workers are are routinely drawing the short straw. I think inflation will go mental..so wages are going to decrease enough as it is relative to inflation. On top of that, taxes will need to head north to pay for the COVID spending spree with debatable results at best. it’s the taxpayer that will be paying for this. And, our 50-100 billion industry is in the tank.

I can’t seem to wrap my brain around this whole thing. It literally makes zero sense.

I saw an article talking about the next pandemic in 2030... :p.
Pandemic in 2030? Can't we just cut the pay to minimum wage now and save the grief in 10 years? Might stir up the public enough to make changes in the industry

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

This isn’t the article I saw but ...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... ent-warns/

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

The article above is FUD: Fear, uncertainty, and doubt

AKA how governments keep their grip over people's lives. Threaten their salaries, the men's ability to provide for their families, and the mothers' ability to care for their kids, and all semblance of societal cohesion goes out the window. Break the bond of trust between neighbours, families, and communities, making everyone vulnerable to believing disinformation in the quest for stability. As we saw in the last 18 months, the messaging has been "NO ONE IS IMMUNE, ANYONE AROUND YOU COULD BE CARRYING THE DISEASE, ARE YOU WILLING TO TAKE THE RISK?"
Then, government just waltzes in and utter the famous lie of "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help".

Question: "But without government, sociopaths who want to control you would take over the country and control our lives, right"

Answer: Government is made up of people who control your lives, what makes you think no sociopaths trickled through?

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

You really think the governments control all this? Think again. It is big business, and if you don't understand that simple fact, there is no hope. And although they tend to be somewhat influenced by business, governments can be voted out in our country. Don't take that for granted, or you will end up with something where you have absolutely no say in anything, and worse, not allowed to express thoughts openly, like we do here.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

American Airlines to resume hiring pilots this fall as travel demand recovers

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/20/america ... overs.html

Gravity always wins
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Kosiw wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:02 am American Airlines to resume hiring pilots this fall as travel demand recovers

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/20/america ... overs.html
Meanwhile some municipal and provincial leaders are calling for a complete shutdown of Pearson airport. :rolleyes:

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”