Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Age 67 or 69

Post by alkaseltzer »

simply_no_one wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:50 pm
altiplano wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:48 pm Fück that. I want to go when my day comes and I want my time at the trough on the way out.

If they do that again I'm voting for status pay with a WB/NB blended scale- no grandfathering and socialized bidding...

We all know what we signed on for... everyone who wants them has 5 "bonus" years already...
Yup.

Alkaseltzer is in a dream world.

@alkaselzer What about all the flat pay FOs who have lost out on years of service, pay progression, quick upgrades, CWIPP compounding (big impact over 30 years)... what's the "minimum" to make up for the pandemic for them? Oh right, you only care about senior positions. They didn't even get CEWS like other airlines in Canada. @#$! the juniors, praise the seniors... :roll:
Pushing your buttons!

Not in a dream world - did you spent less than 18 months at an Express carrier and think everything is owed to you? Hold up - 320 guys sitting on full flat pay and some working full time jobs - now, that's a dream world! Full pay, benefits, pay progression for the junior pilots for zero work. That's what, 300 pilots? Not counting the other fleets, oh my.

Grow up and move out of your daddy's basement. Trudeau's gonna make your kids pay for it, youngster.

RRJetPilot, if you have a walker or a cane, you don't hold a CAT 1 from AC Medical. Here's a secret...you can't apply the proper rudder pressure on a V1 cut with a gimp leg! (You can thank me later for learning something new)

And older pilots are just like new younger pilots. Some sharp ones, some terrible ones. Judging on age is discriminatory, similar to gender, race, or the colour of your socks.

What type of dream world do some of you live in? Do you have parasites growing in your cerebellum? Maybe they should implement a MRI for some of you on here...
---------- ADS -----------

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

alkaseltzer wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:59 pm
altiplano wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:48 pm Fück that. I want to go when my day comes and I want my time at the trough on the way out.

If they do that again I'm voting for status pay with a WB/NB blended scale- no grandfathering and socialized bidding...

We all know what we signed on for... everyone who wants them has 5 "bonus" years already...
Yup.

@alkaselzer What about all the flat pay FOs who have lost out on years of service, pay progression, quick upgrades, CWIPP compounding (big impact over 30 years)... what's the "minimum" to make up for the pandemic for them? Oh right, you only care about senior positions. They didn't even get CEWS like other airlines in Canada. @#$! the juniors, praise the seniors... :roll:
Pushing your buttons!

Not in a dream world - did you spent less than 18 months at an Express carrier and think everything is owed to you? Hold up - 320 guys sitting on full flat pay and some working full time jobs - now, that's a dream world! Full pay, benefits, pay progression for the junior pilots for zero work. That's what, 300 pilots? Not counting the other fleets, oh my.

Grow up and move out of your daddy's basement. Trudeau's gonna make your kids pay for it, youngster.

RRJetPilot, if you have a walker or a cane, you don't hold a CAT 1 from AC Medical. Here's a secret...you can't apply the proper rudder pressure on a V1 cut with a gimp leg! (You can thank me later for learning something new)

And older pilots are just like new younger pilots. Some sharp ones, some terrible ones. Judging on age is discriminatory, similar to gender, race, or the colour of your socks.

What type of dream world do some of you live in? Do you have parasites growing in your cerebellum? Maybe they should implement a MRI for some of you on here...
You have no idea who I am Boomer. I moved out of my parents basement over 20 years ago :wink:. You old fuckers have so much entitlement it's unreal. Not to mention the complete disconnect to the reality of what it's like being 25-45 these days. I see it every day at work and in general life. The "Me Generation" is too kind of a label. And to think you call Millennials entitled. No... we're just trying to put together some semblance of a life with the broken pieces you left behind for us.

Trudeau's not going to have much left to take since we already have no money in the bank after you crashed the stock market twice, and drove up real estate prices 1000% and sold away the DB pension and good wages. 😘

And now you have the GALL to demand more? @#$! off.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Who in the f@ck wants to work at 70 yrs of age, I don’t care if one has three lunar landings as PIC, the enthusiasm to carry on(work) isn’t there at that age. Believe me, I know.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Old fella wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:12 am Who in the f@ck wants to work at 70 yrs of age, I don’t care if one has three lunar landings as PIC, the enthusiasm to carry on(work) isn’t there at that age. Believe me, I know.
Archie VanHee

https://cahf.ca/archie-vanhee/

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

rudder wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:50 am
Old fella wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:12 am Who in the f@ck wants to work at 70 yrs of age, I don’t care if one has three lunar landings as PIC, the enthusiasm to carry on(work) isn’t there at that age. Believe me, I know.
Archie VanHee

https://cahf.ca/archie-vanhee/

Indeed, always exceptions to any norm. Being of that group, the vast majority of us want to be done with it at least the very many I know and acquainted with. Although my time at the service provider has a couple of chaps beyond 70yrs, one was close to 80. I never question them because I didn’t care, I took my buyout package and went on immediate pension. My replacement was a Canada 3000 chap who was on the street, he was a sharp guy, educated with an impressive background.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

This thread has gone off the rails. But for the older pilots hoping to stay on longer and feeling as though they should get sympathy/support from the younger pilots is delusional.
The younger generation has every right to look out for themselves and want older pilots to retire and vacate left seats/senior positions. It doesn’t matter if they had a way easier beginning to their careers and this isn’t unique to aviation. Every working person in the world hopes their more senior co-workers to retire. Just the way it is. Also the majority has zero sympathy for senior captains who make 2-3 times more than what the average Canadian earns yet is unable to retire at 65 due to covid. Maybe a reality check and lifestyle adjustment is needed. If you can’t afford the lavish retirement you hoped for well too bad, life isn’t fair.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

simply_no_one wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:59 pm
alkaseltzer wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:59 pm

Yup.

Pushing your buttons!

You have no idea who I am Boomer. I moved out of my parents basement over 20 years ago :wink:. You old fuckers have so much entitlement it's unreal. Not to mention the complete disconnect to the reality of what it's like being 25-45 these days. I see it every day at work and in general life. The "Me Generation" is too kind of a label. And to think you call Millennials entitled. No... we're just trying to put together some semblance of a life with the broken pieces you left behind for us.

Trudeau's not going to have much left to take since we already have no money in the bank after you crashed the stock market twice, and drove up real estate prices 1000% and sold away the DB pension and good wages. 😘

And now you have the GALL to demand more? @#$! off.
Time out. I'm lower on the seniority list than you. And I've made you believe that I was a boomer :lol: A quick check on the AC forum, narrows down the Tucker Carlson sympathizers. Good thing you moved out of your parents basement 20 years ago, quick math tells me that I'll have a longer chance in this career than you.

Sensei (can I call you that?), it would be for our own benefit to go to 67 or 69. It wasn't much of an issue when we went from 60 to 65.

I know you're the type that irks at the idea of a black person in the cockpit, a female in the left seat, or a gay pilot advocating equality. You're a parasite to our society and to the profession. [/i]You would do us all a favour by jumping off a roof. Or, wake the #@$ up and listen to yourself.

Competence is not correlated with age. Read that sentence again. To imply otherwise is discriminatory. Simple. It violates the human rights code. ICAO should amend their rules/guidance, and so should TC.

On the other side of the coin, you can lose your medical at ANY age. Younger people dying of cancer, heart attacks, our profession is no different. Didn't you learn that at your previous carrier?

Your arguments don't hold water. Sorry.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

We've got italics!

Shit gettin' serious

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

alkaseltzer wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:07 pm I know you're the type that irks at the idea of a black person in the cockpit, a female in the left seat, or a gay pilot advocating equality. You're a parasite to our society and to the profession. You would do us all a favour by jumping off a roof. Or, wake the #@$ up and listen to yourself.
That's quite the statement.

Pretty weak argument.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

alkaseltzer wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:59 pm Judging on age is discriminatory, similar to gender, race, or the colour of your socks.
But can we judge someone based on the length of their sleeves?

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

This is a slippery slope.

I don’t care for one second if you want to work till you die. Doesn’t affect me.

What I do care about is my employer changing my pension contribution/match based me working to 100, because someone can’t live within their means. Now I’m affected.

Greasy Greaser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Greasy Greaser »

NotDirty! wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:32 pm
alkaseltzer wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:59 pm Judging on age is discriminatory, similar to gender, race, or the colour of your socks.
Down with Long Sleeves!

In all seriousness, who cares if guys/gals want to keep working after a certain age; no sense in stressing over someone's personal life/decision.
We'll all get to that point in life sometime, hopefully.

And if you really have a hard on in flying past 67/69 or 70, go be a captain in Antarctica on a DC3 and have your FO/FA do all the heavy lifting lol.

Lose != Loose
simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

Greasy Greaser wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:36 pm

Down with Long Sleeves!

In all seriousness, who cares if guys/gals want to keep working after a certain age; no sense in stressing over someone's personal life/decision.
We'll all get to that point in life sometime, hopefully.

And if you really have a hard on in flying past 67/69 or 70, go be a captain in Antarctica on a DC3 and have your FO/FA do all the heavy lifting lol.
I could care less if Alkaselzer wants to fly until 70. He can just do it elsewhere.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Lt. Daniel Kaffee »

It wasn't much of an issue when we went from 60 to 65.
Really? Were you even at AC between 2012 and 2017? 5 years of stagnation....320 Captains were given DBMs < 70hrs/month for 2 or 3 years...

Yep, no issues there.

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

Lt. Daniel Kaffee wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:04 pm
Really? Were you even at AC between 2012 and 2017? 5 years of stagnation....320 Captains were given DBMs < 70hrs/month for 2 or 3 years...

Yep, no issues there.
Two of the still most commonly talked about things in the flight deck at AC.

1) the CDN merger and how they lost out on their pension/pay/seniority, how someone Jr go more than them etc. etc. (this is both sides complaining)

2) Fly 2 65

Every day.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

I know you're the type that irks at the idea of a black person in the cockpit, a female in the left seat, or a gay pilot advocating equality. You're a parasite to our society and to the profession. [/i]You would do us all a favour by jumping off a roof. Or, wake the #@$ up and listen to yourself.
Jesus H Christ man, take a couple of personal days.
WTF? It actually was the complete opposite, from an attitude of the pilot group perspective.
No amount of wokeness will change this. It will always be okay to judge.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

200Above wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:15 pm This is a slippery slope.

I don’t care for one second if you want to work till you die. Doesn’t affect me.

What I do care about is my employer changing my pension contribution/match based me working to 100, because someone can’t live within their means. Now I’m affected.
Reduced Pension contributions/reduced DBM/60 to 65 career stagnation are all valid issues. I would hate to have a reduced pension contribution too. At the same token, a longer period of matching contributions (67 or 69) under the DC model would equalize it.

However, that is not the core issue here. Those are secondary. Those are all important issues, and quite frankly, are just that - tertiary. Business decisions (ie mergers) are secondary.

The primary issue is that continuing to impose an age limit is a violation of the human rights code. If one is able to hold a Cat 1 medical from AC Medical AND wishes to fly “till they die” AND is able to pass their all their rides, you and I have ZERO business in limiting someone’s progress. It’s their &$&$ing RIGHT.

Not everyone joined AC in their mid 20s, there was a handful that were in their late 50s just before the furloughs, prepared to be on flat pay! Their financial future/well-being is no one’s business, whether it is good or bad.

Someone mentioned a vote...did you really need a vote when Trudeau gave us all an extra two weeks vacation? ACPA couldn’t negotiate that!

Not if but WHEN, the age limit does increase or abolished in it’s entirety, we will all have to adapt. ICAO continuing to have a 65 limit in the 21st century is archaic. Longer life expectancies. More research being done on cognition and age. There’s more research from a scientific viewpoint that arbitrarily using “65” no longer holds water. How many extra training events do you need for someone 60+ versus 20yrs or 30 yrs their junior? Insignificant to draw a hardline on the matter.

It’s not your call, simply_no_one. Did you jump yet?

That’s the last I’ll post on this topic in this thread.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

alkaseltzer wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:39 am you and I have ZERO business in limiting someone’s progress. It’s their &$&$ing RIGHT.
Well obviously it isn't their right at this point. The discussion is about whether or not it should be their right. And what role, if any, a union should play in that.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
betster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by betster »

This is Canada. We are supposed to be leaders in human rights. Mandatory retirement is ageism pure and simple. The disrespect shown here based on age is unprofessional as well. If someone can hold a medical let them fly. If more frequent medicals are required (based on evidenced based medicine) thats fine. The tricky part is flying into other Countries and balancing the cherry picking of schedules to meet this requirement. That is for someone to figure out above my pay grade.

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

alkaseltzer wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:39 am
200Above wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:15 pm This is a slippery slope.

Reduced Pension contributions/reduced DBM/60 to 65 career stagnation are all valid issues. I would hate to have a reduced pension contribution too. At the same token, a longer period of matching contributions (67 or 69) under the DC model would equalize it.

However, that is not the core issue here. Those are secondary. Those are all important issues, and quite frankly, are just that - tertiary. Business decisions (ie mergers) are secondary.

The primary issue is that continuing to impose an age limit is a violation of the human rights code. If one is able to hold a Cat 1 medical from AC Medical AND wishes to fly “till they die” AND is able to pass their all their rides, you and I have ZERO business in limiting someone’s progress. It’s their &$&$ing RIGHT.

Not everyone joined AC in their mid 20s, there was a handful that were in their late 50s just before the furloughs, prepared to be on flat pay! Their financial future/well-being is no one’s business, whether it is good or bad.

Someone mentioned a vote...did you really need a vote when Trudeau gave us all an extra two weeks vacation? ACPA couldn’t negotiate that!

Not if but WHEN, the age limit does increase or abolished in it’s entirety, we will all have to adapt. ICAO continuing to have a 65 limit in the 21st century is archaic. Longer life expectancies. More research being done on cognition and age. There’s more research from a scientific viewpoint that arbitrarily using “65” no longer holds water. How many extra training events do you need for someone 60+ versus 20yrs or 30 yrs their junior? Insignificant to draw a hardline on the matter.

It’s not your call, simply_no_one. Did you jump yet?

That’s the last I’ll post on this topic in this thread.
I honestly don't care at all what you think. You keep making a lot of assumptions about me. I didn't join AC in my 20's. I don't live at home, I have a family and surprise... KIDS!

You remind me of a few posters on the pilot forum. Just absolute nonsense and living in an alternate reality.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”