RCAF looking overseas to fill pilot shortage

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: RCAF looking overseas to fill pilot shortage

Post by confusedalot »

I find the situation very disturbing. In the sense that armed forces management cannot even find the wherewithal to recruit and train a whole bunch of perfectly good people who would make perfectly good pilots. So they need to hire mexicans.

Then again, having the unfortunate experience of being stuck in the public service for 5 years and finally escaped, nothing surprises me anymore.

Goodnight.
---------- ADS -----------

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

confusedalot wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:18 pm I find the situation very disturbing. In the sense that armed forces management cannot even find the wherewithal to recruit and train a whole bunch of perfectly good people who would make perfectly good pilots. So they need to hire mexicans.

Then again, having the unfortunate experience of being stuck in the public service for 5 years and finally escaped, nothing surprises me anymore.

Goodnight.
Oh dear god. Go amuse yourself somewhere else.

Nothing to see here, move along...

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Outlaw58 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:56 am
confusedalot wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:18 pm I find the situation very disturbing. In the sense that armed forces management cannot even find the wherewithal to recruit and train a whole bunch of perfectly good people who would make perfectly good pilots. So they need to hire mexicans.

Goodnight.

Hey, that's cool. Care to explain to a moron like me that hiring front line soldiers from other countries is the way to go? Use simple language, 40 years in the business and 62 years on the planet has been a total waste on low iq levels such as myself who incredibly managed to fly a big part of the world and not even ding a plane or a person. quite a feat for a retard. flying big and small airplanes.

Looking forward to the explanation.

In case u don't get it, I am truly worried.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

confusedalot wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:41 pm

Goodnight.

Hey, that's cool. Care to explain to a moron like me that hiring front line soldiers from other countries is the way to go? Use simple language, 40 years in the business and 62 years on the planet has been a total waste on low iq levels such as myself who incredibly managed to fly a big part of the world and not even ding a plane or a person. quite a feat for a retard. flying big and small airplanes.

Looking forward to the explanation.

In case u don't get it, I am truly worried.
One of the most modern and powerful militaries in the world has many foreign soldiers. On the flip side, some of the shittiest militaries also use foreign labour.

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

Do you have a source saying that the RCAF is hiring "mexicans"? I did a quick google search and found nothing. This link does say that you have to be a Canadian ..... https://forces.ca/en/how-to-join/#ci

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Goodnight.
Let me add another wrinkle called demographics. The selection of twentyish something lot isn’t as abundant as it was during our time as members of that age group. CAF are in competition with others aka industry for that scarce age community. Just read an article(CBC) about difficulties facing employers attracting qualified skilled employees even with attractive signing bonuses. It isn’t the minimum wage service industry that is predominantly affected, tis all over.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Goodnight.

Pay no attention to him 58, he's just another one getting onto AvCan after a spending a little quality time with the bottle.

For those who really think that recruiting qualified folks from other places is something new, I have news for you. When I did basic training (42 years ago now) my platoon started out with 32 folks, 31 of whom were 18 to 20 year old Canadian kids, and one of whom was a 42 year old foreigner. It was made clear to us at the start, the foreigner was guaranteed to pass the course, a maritime engineer recruited from another nato force. He was 'retired' from his original force and starting a stint with Canada. At graduation about half of our group finished with a half stripe, the other half got a full stripe, but he marched off the parade square in Chilliwack with 3 full stripes, equivalent rank to that which he held prior to coming to Canada.

Recruiting qualified folks from other forces is absolutely nothing new, has always been happening, just like there are other countries who will actively recruit from the Canadian ranks. They are typically targeting folks in highly qualified (read, expensive to train) positions who are reaching the end of a mandatory service stint, or reaching pension eligibility. I know the pension stuff has changed considerably since my time, but as it was set up then, was quite possible to sign up at 18, retire out at 40 then do 20 years of service elsewhere to end up with two full pensions. I know of one person from my cadre in basic training that did just that.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”