Airport revenues

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Airport revenues

Post by mijbil »

Personally I do not need to walk past life size carvings of Haida canoe paddlers or an artificial creek with wooden animals (YVR international arrivals).
Supposedly these major airports of ours are "non profit". The AIF's and massive landing fees that they charge certainly make it seem like they are "for profit". Perhaps they are non profit, but they are certainly wasteful.
Now the financial excesses are coming due and being punted down the road by extending their debt. According to the YVR CEO,
"Despite seeing its revenues fall by 90%, given that airline and passenger fees account for a considerable portion of YVR’s revenue sources, Vrooman says the airport is in a strong financial position, and plans on going to the market to restructure their financing and extend their debt over a longer period, just like other businesses."
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouv ... pu59x7KNAk

Or they could build more modestly?
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Airport revenues

Post by digits_ »

I'd rather have some working power outlets and some tables and chairs to sit at with a laptop.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

You would think that operating these large airport terminals like shopping malls with products marked up am atrocious amount would be enough to pay the bills - but given the AIF's and other fees they charge obviously it's not doing the trick.

Maybe forget about investing in the infrastructure required to have a hundred store - fronts and instead provide comfortable seating areas and useful features for paying passengers?

Is anyone choosing to fly out of YYZ instead of YTZ because they need to hit up the MAC or iStore or Gucci on their way? Who checks in and goes through security early enough to go shopping anyway?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

The most I buy in an airport is aburger and a beer........ and at that rarely. I don't need a mall. I need an efficient transportation system.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”