Optimism

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Optimism

Post by TheStig »

Inverted2 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:33 am I feel no guilt at all for something that happened many years ago that I had absolutely nothing to do with. People need to stop this whole guilt trip and move on. It’s pathetic.

Me neither, but I would like to see the quality of life improve for Indigenous people, aside from human suffering it poses a destabilizing threat. Canada needs to find a way forward, I do the best I can to keep pace with what's happening but I don't think even the Ministry of Indigenous Affairs has a complete grasp on the issues individually plaguing the over 600 First Nations in Canada.

Like a lot of pilots here, I've visited a lot of reserves and saw the same disease, abuse, violence, suicide, poverty, hopelessness, amongst some of the friendliest kindest people I've ever met. It's unbelievable that such third world conditions can exist in Canada.

The Residential Schools are a dark chapter and maybe it's a good thing that more people are learning about them, they are part of how we got to this point. Information helps with the Truth aspect but Reconciliation seems far off. How is one Nation supposed to deal with 600+ different Nations? 600+ different Chiefs, some with abundant resources and others without any? I'm not sure how Canada can be expected to pay $18 Billion dollars a year with no accountability whatsoever? I don't think anyone involved actually knows how or would dare to actually try and change the current system.
---------- ADS -----------

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

The problem is when you make people dependent on government handouts their whole lives, they become accustomed to it and it becomes a way of life. When a large percentage of your community doesn't work, it creates many problems on its own and that is what we have. Playing the perpetual victim does nothing for anyone's self worth and creates a permanent cycle of despair and resentment.

I agree what happened to the natives in the past is bad. I don't for 1 minute believe all of these children were murdered but that is what we are told to believe. 100 years ago childhood mortality was high compared to today. Many likely perished from TB, smallpox or the Spanish Flu.

Let’s Go Brandon
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Inverted2 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:33 am I feel no guilt at all for something that happened many years ago that I had absolutely nothing to do with. People need to stop this whole guilt trip and move on. It’s pathetic.
I feel no pride at all for defeating Hitler. It happened many years ago and I had absolutely nothing to do with it. People need to stop being so proud of the nation's accomplishments, and just move on. It's pathetic.

(With apologies for Godwinning the thread)

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

I feel no pride at all for defeating Hitler. It happened many years ago and I had absolutely nothing to do with it. People need to stop being so proud of the nation's accomplishments, and just move on. It's pathetic.
RippleRock wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:52 am Your feelings are causing you to assign blame to all of us. Go have your feelings in private and leave the rest of us alone. You all are becoming an insufferable bunch with your feelings and notions. Fine little Maoists you are.
This is a public forum and I am free to post my "feelings" as I see fit, notwithstanding moderation. If my "feelings" trigger you, you are free to leave. As an aside, those without "feelings" are commonly known as psychopaths. Not that you are, but we clearly voice those "feelings" differently.
Inverted2 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:20 pm I agree what happened to the natives in the past is bad. I don't for 1 minute believe all of these children were murdered but that is what we are told to believe. 100 years ago childhood mortality was high compared to today. Many likely perished from TB, smallpox or the Spanish Flu.
Quite likely, yes, most perished from disease or malnutrition - not wilful malice. The problem we have now is that many of us are just learning that nobody cared.

(With apologies for Godwinning the thread)

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

Nobody said that it's your fault, but as a society, it's our (collective) job to do what we can to alleviate the situation.

I guess it's just easier for me to understand what they're going through as I am the descendant of Holocaust survivors. You don't realize how traumatizing it can be to have a government go on a religious crusade to destroy your people and your culture, and the long lasting effects it has on public perception of your ethnicity.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

The outcomes of people today are most definitely impacted by the past. Acquiring wealth in a family doesn’t happen overnight. Learning to raise children is not a skill acquired through a few hours in a classroom, it is something passed through generations.

While I don’t have the answers on how to make things as right as possible I think correcting the course requires action. Part of the problem is not one politician or one chief can decide for all what getting even looks like.

I thought it was a common understanding that we are all likely to grow into a path that looks similar to our parents. If you were the son to a lawyer, you would be likely to follow in a similar path of upper class. If you were the son of high school drop outs you are not as likely to attain post secondary. If you are a son to an aboriginal who was taken away to residential schools where your parent was possibly abused, and at the very least had an abrupt disruption to normal life at such a critical age for development, you are now more likely to resonate with this past. Life is self correcting like evolution. But this doesn’t take years or decades. If all was made equal today it could take 6 generations to make these scars fade.

I feel helpless in my ability to do anything, I feel no ownership to these events. Both my parents were not even born in Canada. But I do try to understand. Life is not fair, we all get different hands in life, but if there were opportunities to make something more fair I would be on board with that. I’m just not sure what that looks like. This is not about feeling guilt, and it’s not about you solving problems. But this is most definitely not pathetic, this is real, this is not smoke an mirrors. You could look at this as objectively as you like, use math and statistics, and we can see this is not some made up non issue. No one is asking for your guilt. At they very least they just want you to understand, not to much to ask I think.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:27 pm
Arnie Pye wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:21 pm There are lots of reasons to be optimistic - if you're American, living in America.
Aside from the lack of socialized healthcare, controls on weapons dangerous, and 1% incarceration rate...

:axe: :weedman:
Wow. This av can at its provincial best. Come for the rhetoric. Stay for the whining.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Last edited by Mach1 on Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
Julian.B
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Julian.B »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:37 am
Nobody said that it's your fault, but as a society, it's our (collective) job to do what we can to alleviate the situation.

I guess it's just easier for me to understand what they're going through as I am the descendant of Holocaust survivors. You don't realize how traumatizing it can be to have a government go on a religious crusade to destroy your people and your culture, and the long lasting effects it has on public perception of your ethnicity.

Yeah. Me too! What the Nazis did to my grandparents will forever be ingrained in my mind, but I don't go around shitting on Germans today. It's not their fault that Hitler, Goebbels, Himler and the rest existed.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

The key difference being is that those people all killed themselves or were put on trial and executed with lesser ones sentenced to many years in prison…………and perhaps the absolute epitome of Cancel Culture was enacted to expunge any vestiges of Nazism and Fascism……3/4 of a century ago half a world away.

Vs something that has been happening for centuries and where a good percentage of the generation population refuses to even acknowledge that there is a problem.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

On a note of optimism, I just took a flight from Montreal to Vancouver on Flair (one of their inaugural flights) and it was completely full. I went Air Canada from Vancouver to Toronto on Air Canada and the 787 was also full. I think things are looking ok!!. Flair was awesome but no buy on board. Air Canada had meals but needed to pre book to get one. Anyone know why that is?? I miss the Freshii meals LOL

Julian.B
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Julian.B »

rooster wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:16 am On a note of optimism, I just took a flight from Montreal to Vancouver on Flair (one of their inaugural flights) and it was completely full. I went Air Canada from Vancouver to Toronto on Air Canada and the 787 was also full. I think things are looking ok!!. Flair was awesome but no buy on board. Air Canada had meals but needed to pre book to get one. Anyone know why that is?? I miss the Freshii meals LOL
That's awesome. I'm looking at my flights that I'm supposed to operate in the next few weeks and they def. picked up in numbers. Looking forward to not having to fly empty (or close to empty pax) planes.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

"hard lockdown works, just check out how well australia did things. They are basically normal life now"

Yeah right... Lol

And guess what? It just so happens to be the Southern Hemispheres flu season. So here is a sign of what’s to come for Canada in 4 more months when cases start to climb again…. Optimism!

altiplano1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by altiplano1 »

That's crazy and sad.

Not too normal in Australia...

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

montado wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:46 pm "hard lockdown works, just check out how well australia did things. They are basically normal life now"

Yeah right... Lol

And guess what? It just so happens to be the Southern Hemispheres flu season. So here is a sign of what’s to come for Canada in 4 more months when cases start to climb again…. Optimism!

Who gives a crap about case numbers climbing?? There is no doubt they will climb in the fall.

The metric will be hospitalizations and deaths. Case numbers shouldn't scare anyone one bit.....but the Media will certainly try. Fear sells. So will the Government, as they have likely become addicted to controlling a fearful population.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

The metric will be whatever your government decides.

If the metric was based off hospitalization and deaths why aren’t we fully open? The vaccine is working no? Why aren’t we using that science to drive policy? So good luck! Maybe the metric you will use is hospitalization and deaths but I don’t think you are the policy maker.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

montado wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:12 am The metric will be whatever your government decides.

If the metric was based off hospitalization and deaths why aren’t we fully open? The vaccine is working no? Why aren’t we using that science to drive policy? So good luck! Maybe the metric you will use is hospitalization and deaths but I don’t think you are the policy maker.
The two competing campaign themes for those who seek power are hope and fear.

I guess we will find out which themes are deployed in the coming months as an election is inevitably just around the corner. So far, the current government has relied on fear.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”