Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Restarts- Airlines

Post by fixnfly »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:35 pm
boeingboy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:51 pm Sorry..now I may have used a bad choice of words. When I said most if not all....I was referring to the ones who were just laid off again. Not all pilots are recalled yet, but it shouldn't be too long. We are slowly turning engines again
In AC’s presentation to their furloughed pilots just this week, the VP FLT OPS doesn’t see full recalls until 2023, so I wonder if SWG pilots are in the same boat.
I kind of have doubts about that. The US majors already recalled all of their pilots and have resumed hiring, so how can Big Red not finish recalls for another 1.5-2 years? I don't think we're lagging that far behind the states. I wonder how their VP FLT OPS came up with that dismal prediction.
---------- ADS -----------

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

boeingboy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:51 pm Sorry..now I may have used a bad choice of words. When I said most if not all....I was referring to the ones who were just laid off again. Not all pilots are recalled yet, but it shouldn't be too long. We are slowly turning engines again
So in reality, we’re back to 30 or 40 active pilots?

Until this proposed training LOU is presented, I’m still holding my breath. To recall everyone will be a massive undertaking for the training department, which I don’t see being completed before the winter program.

In AC’s presentation to their furloughed pilots just this week, the VP FLT OPS doesn’t see full recalls until 2023, so I wonder if SWG pilots are in the same boat.
Your really going to compare us to AC? Not the same.

Your right though - to get everyone recalled and trained is going to be a big job, but with the entire owned fleet coming back on line and the maintenance department already starting the process for importing 17 hulls....it's not as many as a normal season - but it's not far off either. Maybe some will have to wait for next winter - but the majority of us will be back soon. Of course the new duty regs are throwing a wrench in things so maybe we all will be back.

I'm not totally sold on the new on board crew rest though...we shall see. :rolleyes:

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

boeingboy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:04 am
So in reality, we’re back to 30 or 40 active pilots?

Until this proposed training LOU is presented, I’m still holding my breath. To recall everyone will be a massive undertaking for the training department, which I don’t see being completed before the winter program.

Your really going to compare us to AC? Not the same.

Your right though - to get everyone recalled and trained is going to be a big job, but with the entire owned fleet coming back on line and the maintenance department already starting the process for importing 17 hulls....it's not as many as a normal season - but it's not far off either. Maybe some will have to wait for next winter - but the majority of us will be back soon. Of course the new duty regs are throwing a wrench in things so maybe we all will be back.

I'm not totally sold on the new on board crew rest though...we shall see. :rolleyes:
25 tails for the winter is only 60% of their recent winter capacity, but that's still a good number considering where they're at today.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

25?

16 + 17 = 33 tails

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

boeingboy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:51 am 25?

16 + 17 = 33 tails
I could have sworn that they only owned eight tails, but it goes to show how much I know.

Looking at the numbers here... turns out I forgot about the MAXs. I left a few years before those came online.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”