Restarts- Airlines

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

paddy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Restarts- Airlines

Post by paddy »

What kind of plans are being implemented now that we are approaching borders reopening.

What deals are the airlines AC, WestJet, Transat, Sunwing, porter etc making with employees to aid the restarts.
---------- ADS -----------

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Restarts- Airlines

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Sunwing has cancelled all flights out till July 29, so there’s that.

After voting to give up 10% of our salaries for the next 3 years in our new CBA (signed earlier this year) plus some concessionary LOU’s the pilots signed to aid in the re-start, Sunwing just issued layoff notices to the last few pilots that were still on property.

As far as I know, all the pilots are now back on CEWS.

Negotiations are ongoing to see how to restart the airline as some of us have been inactive so long, that a complete initial course may be required.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:55 pm Sunwing has cancelled all flights out till July 29, so there’s that.

After voting to give up 10% of our salaries for the next 3 years in our new CBA (signed earlier this year) plus some concessionary LOU’s the pilots signed to aid in the re-start, Sunwing just issued layoff notices to the last few pilots that were still on property.

As far as I know, all the pilots are now back on CEWS.

Negotiations are ongoing to see how to restart the airline as some of us have been inactive so long, that a complete initial course may be required.
If SWG wants to be flying south in November they better have pilots in training by August.

Saw a few SWG pilot names I recognized on the SIM schedule at CAE. It was for Flair SIM training…….

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Is Sunwing now Donewing ?

Gravity always wins
paddy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by paddy »

What about westjet and Transat? AC and porter? Any call backs or movement for the ramp up or restart.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Unless Porter can get a discount on airport fees it doesn't sound like they will be returning to operation.
“Based on today’s market realities, the terminal fees charged by Nieuport are neither economically viable nor sustainable and must be reduced for carriers to operate profitably from [the island airport],” Mr. Deluce wrote. “Without Nieuport’s agreement in the coming months to significantly reduce the terminal fees from 2018 levels, Porter will take any and all additional steps required to protect its shareholders’ investment. Over the past year Porter has completed extensive analysis to consider alternative business and capital deployment strategies in order to preserve shareholder value. … [A]lternatives under consideration include redeployment of our assets into the regional aircraft leasing market and/or the disposition of assets and return of shareholder capital.”

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

FL030 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:43 am Unless Porter can get a discount on airport fees it doesn't sound like they will be returning to operation.
“Based on today’s market realities, the terminal fees charged by Nieuport are neither economically viable nor sustainable and must be reduced for carriers to operate profitably from [the island airport],” Mr. Deluce wrote. “Without Nieuport’s agreement in the coming months to significantly reduce the terminal fees from 2018 levels, Porter will take any and all additional steps required to protect its shareholders’ investment. Over the past year Porter has completed extensive analysis to consider alternative business and capital deployment strategies in order to preserve shareholder value. … [A]lternatives under consideration include redeployment of our assets into the regional aircraft leasing market and/or the disposition of assets and return of shareholder capital.”
Where is that quote from?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

fish4life wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:46 am Where is that quote from?
Globe and Mail.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

paddy wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:32 am What about westjet and Transat? AC and porter? Any call backs or movement for the ramp up or restart.
Jazz recalled a couple of hundred, WJA and WEN as well.

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

Kosiw wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:26 pm Is Sunwing now Donewing ?
Lol no. Sunwing is much larger then I’m sure your aware. And some are still working.

As to rudders point, yes we need to be training for the inevitable and yes several trainers are now flying for Flair and Cargojet. This winter is going to be busy.

Greasy Greaser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Greasy Greaser »

WJA recalled 80 between WJA/Swoop (purely because of grievance though lol).
WEN just recalled 127 I believe?
Jazz 227?

As expected, regionals will definitely pick up first because of domestic travel then mainlines. AC and WJ (also Sun and Transat) have lost a lot in this with business travel (not business class) being decimated then only picking up to a fraction of what is was as everyone is seeing how much cheaper/convenient zoom/teams/discord is in comparison.

Feel like there will be surges in travel as people get vaccinated and are sick and tired of all this but probably won't be enough to bring things back to 2019 levels for another few years. Speaking in terms of employee levels, specifically pilots/FA's.

Time will tell what happens, hopefully picks up quicker but I have doubts.

Lose != Loose
boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Is Sunwing now Donewing ?
Ha.......not with a 33 plane fleet this winter.

TFW flights still happening in YUL and YVR till the end of June...then probably nothing till they start going home in Sept and our restart flights in Oct

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

Greasy Greaser wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:32 pm WJA recalled 80 between WJA/Swoop (purely because of grievance though lol).
WEN just recalled 127 I believe?
Jazz 227?

As expected, regionals will definitely pick up first because of domestic travel then mainlines. AC and WJ (also Sun and Transat) have lost a lot in this with business travel (not business class) being decimated then only picking up to a fraction of what is was as everyone is seeing how much cheaper/convenient zoom/teams/discord is in comparison.

Feel like there will be surges in travel as people get vaccinated and are sick and tired of all this but probably won't be enough to bring things back to 2019 levels for another few years. Speaking in terms of employee levels, specifically pilots/FA's.

Time will tell what happens, hopefully picks up quicker but I have doubts.
A few years? I'd say more like several months, just look to the south (US) they just had their memorial day weekend, and travel volumes ALREADY surpassed december 2019 levels. We wont be far behind, xmas this year will be big enough to warrant large scale recalls with the majors. Barring some horrible new developments I think the worst is behind us. Time for some good news!

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:55 pm Negotiations are ongoing to see how to restart the airline as some of us have been inactive so long, that a complete initial course may be required.
Really? An initially is only required if your last PPC has been expired for 2 years. So you can go roughly 2.5 years between PPCs without needing to do an initial again. Are guys really get close to that?

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

Chaxterium wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:33 pm
DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:55 pm Negotiations are ongoing to see how to restart the airline as some of us have been inactive so long, that a complete initial course may be required.
Really? An initially is only required if your last PPC has been expired for 2 years. So you can go roughly 2.5 years between PPCs without needing to do an initial again. Are guys really get close to that?
I've always understood the rule as 2 years since you COMPLETED your last PPC not since it expired. Could be different from company to company aswell. So if that's the case, then yea initials would start becoming nessisary as of this december.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Tolip wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:02 pm I've always understood the rule as 2 years since you COMPLETED your last PPC not since it expired. Could be different from company to company aswell. So if that's the case, then yea initials would start becoming nessisary as of this december.
It's two years from when your PPC expires. It doesn't change from company to company.

725.113 Validity Period
(3) PPC, Line Check or Training Expired for 24 months or more (refers to paragraph 705.113(6) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations)

Where the flight crew member's pilot proficiency check, line check or training has expired for a period of 24 months or more, that flight crew member shall successfully complete the air operator's initial training program and a pilot proficiency check on the type of aeroplane.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Chaxterium wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:15 pm It's two years from when your PPC expires. It doesn't change from company to company.
That’s correct from a TC standpoint but your COM could specify shorter, I hear one year inactive on type requiring a full initial course is common.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

I've never seen that at any of the companies I've worked for but I suppose it's possible. And in fact I'd say it would be commendable. It's an interesting discussion though. If I was an airline struggling to stay afloat and I had the option of only doing recurrents instead of initials (despite my COM stating otherwise) I'd be really tempted to go with the TC rule.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I imagine from a pilot group perspective it could be seen as discriminatory to come back after a sixteen month medical leave and be expected to be back up to 100% after a couple hours in the sim, or it could be a way to keep insurance rates down, or there could be some other convincing argument in favour.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Yes, I could be mistaken with regards to the expiry date at our company. Some people I've talked to seem to think it was 2 years from completion of the PPC, so I apologize if I've got my information wrong.

All I know I did my last PPC back in early June 2019, so I'm about 24 months now since my last PPC and 15 months since my last flight. Obviously there's others who last did their PPC's in early 2019 and are now almost 2.5 years since their last ride.

Based on my seniority and the issues with getting the training machine spooled up again, I could easily not be recalled until next Spring/Summer which will be 2.5-3 years since my last PPC, hence my understanding that an initial course could be required.

P.S. A friend told me that the SWG F/A's voted the other day to strike as their CBA expired May 31st, which throws another wrinkle into the restart plans.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”