Restarts- Airlines

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Restarts- Airlines

Post by Chaxterium »

No need to apologize. It's made me wonder though why airlines wouldn't be keeping their pilots current to avoid this. I understand the costs of keeping pilots current (I'm just talking about sim training) wouldn't be cheap but it seems better than having to put almost your entire pilot group through an initial course again.

Now that I think about it though I guess you can't really keep furloughed pilots current.

Shitty situation all around. Hopefully we're on the back nine of this pandemic.
---------- ADS -----------

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Chaxterium wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:06 am No need to apologize. It's made me wonder though why airlines wouldn't be keeping their pilots current to avoid this. I understand the costs of keeping pilots current (I'm just talking about sim training).
Because we have to be recalled in order of seniority, and no one junior can be called into work while there are senior pilots off.

That means, under our CBA, that if they were to bring in pilot number 300 (for example) for training, the 299 pilots senior to him have to be paid full monthly pay. The company obviously can’t afford to pay 299 pilots full salary for a month while number 300 is in training.

All this results in only the top 25-40 pilots being kept current while the rest of us are on CEWS.

If travel explodes this fall, it’ll be a huge undertaking to re-train 350+ pilots to be ready for the busy winter season.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

This week's training plan at Air Canada shows a significant uptick in widebody training courses for July and early August. Seems like they are preparing to ramp up for overseas flying this fall.

Soyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Soyer »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:45 am
Chaxterium wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:06 am No need to apologize. It's made me wonder though why airlines wouldn't be keeping their pilots current to avoid this. I understand the costs of keeping pilots current (I'm just talking about sim training).
Because we have to be recalled in order of seniority, and no one junior can be called into work while there are senior pilots off.

That means, under our CBA, that if they were to bring in pilot number 300 (for example) for training, the 299 pilots senior to him have to be paid full monthly pay. The company obviously can’t afford to pay 299 pilots full salary for a month while number 300 is in training.

All this results in only the top 25-40 pilots being kept current while the rest of us are on CEWS.

If travel explodes this fall, it’ll be a huge undertaking to re-train 350+ pilots to be ready for the busy winter season.
Which is why it makes sense for a pilot group/union to work with the company to allow training in these circumstances (with pay) so that everyone can remain trained in preparation for a recall.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Which is why it makes sense for a pilot group/union to work with the company to allow training in these circumstances (with pay) so that everyone can remain trained in preparation for a recall.
Except that - no one could know how long this was going to last. When all this started in Mar 2020, the company went into hibernation mode to conserve what we had - I think there was a certain thought in the industry that by summer 2020 we would know more about COVID-19 and how to deal with it and that we would all be back to work....a 6 month hiatus so to speak. I don't think anyone thought that it would go 19 months (maybe longer?)

If we had a crystal ball I'm sure there would be some things done different. Good or bad - I think the company has done a good job of keeping the company afloat to see a restart, even if there are going to be a few bumps along the way.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Last month, Sunwing brought 40 pilots in to catch up some of the training backlog. All captains, just to clear the sim sessions and PPC that have gone by since they last flew. They are all back on furlough now, but at least they can hit the ground running in the fall when sun and fun flying resumes. It's nice to see they won't be caught completely flat footed if demand returns sooner.

grimreaper70
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by grimreaper70 »

Fingers crossed we get a quick rebound!

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I was mistaken about the Sunwing numbers. Yesterday, more of our pilots got layoff notices, so I guess some were still active. Now, there's only 6 pilots actively flying, whose seniority goes back to the day Sunwing started operations back in 2005.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

We still have TFW flights till the end if the month. There has to be more than 6 active right now

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

boeingboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:49 pm We still have TFW flights till the end if the month. There has to be more than 6 active right now
I really hope you mean in Europe and not here

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

In Europe?

No....they are here out of YUL and YVR

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

fish4life wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:17 pm
boeingboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:49 pm We still have TFW flights till the end if the month. There has to be more than 6 active right now
They are bringing in the farm workers that do jobs Canadians wont take. It's not TFW flying the airplanes

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

goldeneagle wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:52 pm
fish4life wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:17 pm
They are bringing in the farm workers that do jobs Canadians wont take. It's not TFW flying the airplanes
Ah ok, sorry but with sunwing’s history of using TFW pilots you could understand my confusion.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I used a bad choice of words. After the layoffs take effect in a few weeks, Sunwing will only have 6 active pilots.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:49 am
I used a bad choice of words. After the layoffs take effect in a few weeks, Sunwing will only have 6 active pilots.
Well - That was short lived! 8)

Most if not all are now being recalled.

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

Has a deal been made with SWG management for the recalls?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

boeingboy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:39 pm

Did I miss a memo?

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

ant_321 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:51 pm
boeingboy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:39 pm

Did I miss a memo?
Maybe.

Short limited summer program down south for july and Aug. TFW's start home in Sept and restart in Oct.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Sorry..now I may have used a bad choice of words. When I said most if not all....I was referring to the ones who were just laid off again. Not all pilots are recalled yet, but it shouldn't be too long. We are slowly turning engines again

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

boeingboy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:51 pm Sorry..now I may have used a bad choice of words. When I said most if not all....I was referring to the ones who were just laid off again. Not all pilots are recalled yet, but it shouldn't be too long. We are slowly turning engines again
So in reality, we’re back to 30 or 40 active pilots?

Until this proposed training LOU is presented, I’m still holding my breath. To recall everyone will be a massive undertaking for the training department, which I don’t see being completed before the winter program.

In AC’s presentation to their furloughed pilots just this week, the VP FLT OPS doesn’t see full recalls until 2023, so I wonder if SWG pilots are in the same boat.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”