How far is "too far"? (Rights of employees)

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Julian.B
Rank 3
Rank 3

How far is "too far"? (Rights of employees)

Post by Julian.B »

There is a point where companies, corporations and the general public needs to draw a line. This is getting out of hand.

Quote:
"Justin Wetherell, a flight attendant and flight-attendant instructor based in Seattle, said in an ACLU news release Friday that when working as an instructor, "I am not forced into Alaska Airlines' 'male' or 'female' uniform policies, neither of which fit me because I am non-binary."

Then don't work there... If it's that big of an issue. Is it though? I thought flight attendants can wear pants & skirts (at their choosing). What exactly is the issue here? Do they not let him paint his nails? I'm getting really sick of these individuals that are never happy; things are never "enough". Does he want to come to work dressed as a concert pianist with a mermaid tail? What is appropriate for this individual?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/alask ... d=msedgntp
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Julian.B on Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: How far is "too far"? (Rights of employees)

Post by digits_ »

If you don't want to make a difference between male and female, then that employee has a point. As far as I know, most airlines don't make a difference in uniform items for pilots either.

An easy fix would be that employees have a choice between 2 uniform styles, or having only one style available. Doesn't need to be a big deal.

A similar discussion pops up during summer months in countries where women are allowed to wear skirts in hot summer weather, and men have to wear long pants.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

What's appropriate? A one-way trip to the ME.

Julian.B
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Julian.B »

I think the airline industry has been a "champion of acceptance" for many minorities and I'm happy to say that I strive every day to not only understand my fellow co-workers but also to support and defend their rights. I have a lot of cultural and ethnic practices (behavior and dress code) that I'm very proud of. Does that mean I'm going to accuse my airline that I'm "being discriminated" because I can't wear a traditional clothing item to work? Absolutely not.

When I decided to join this industry, I understood that there were norms and expectations both in behavior and professional attire. Hell, I'd love "Hawaiian Friday with Hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts with white socks and Sandals" day... but that's for the hotel layover...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Julian.B wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:06 am When I decided to join this industry, I understood that there were norms and expectations both in behavior and professional attire. Hell, I'd love "Hawaiian Friday with Hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts with white socks and Sandals" day... but that's for the hotel layover...
That's not the point of the article. Would you be ok having to wear a skirt as a uniform item? If not, why not? If your answer includes a reference to a gender, then there is a difference in treatment of employees based on gender. That may or may not be acceptable if an airline strives to be completely gender neutral.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:50 am

An easy fix would be that employees have a choice between 2 uniform styles, or having only one style available. Doesn't need to be a big deal.
Exactly, it seems pretty fair, doesn't hurt anyone to do this and allows everyone to choose their own adventure. Professionalism and standards don't take a fall, so what's the problem?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:21 am
digits_ wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:50 am

Exactly, it seems pretty fair, doesn't hurt anyone to do this and allows everyone to choose their own adventure. Professionalism and standards don't take a fall, so what's the problem?
Sounds like they’re given exactly this choice (the man shirt and pants, or woman blouse and skirt) and doesn’t like either cause they’re “non-binary” i think the OP’s point is…. Wht is the third option supposed to be? Pants and a shirt is the “non binary” option no one forced to wear a skirt.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

*If* I'm reading the news piece correctly, I suspect that Wetherill's complaint is with the grooming standards, not the uniform. Perhaps he wants to wear long hair and makeup, and is not allowed to do so...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Can I wear a kilt :goodman:

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:50 pm Can I wear a kilt :goodman:
Father yells at kid “your not wearing that kilt oot of the house it is way too short “
“ I am old enough to make my own choices and I my own lifestyle choices “ said the rebel kid .
“Fair enough “said the dad “but your balls are showing !!

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:50 am An easy fix would be that employees have a choice between 2 uniform styles, or having only one style available. Doesn't need to be a big deal.
Even the Coast Guard is changing to a gender neutral uniform. I guess "Style A" and "Style B" weren't inclusive enough.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.6043859

In July 2020, the Canadian Coast Guard uniform catalogue started shifting away from gender identity to size and fit, part of a broader move toward gender-neutral uniforms. All labels on coast guard uniforms are now gender neutral.

"Right now our uniforms are labelled as Style A and Style B," Gerbasi said. "It's not only here at the Canadian Coast Guard College, but in the coast guard in general."

Gerbasi said the change in terminology means not having to adhere to constraints of being identified as either male or female.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

There are two acceptable options in North America these days:
  1. Having skirts as a uniform AND letting anyone wear any uniform piece, or
  2. Not having skirts in a uniform AND letting anyone wear any uniform piece

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

When you look like Post Malone.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”