Single-Pilot A350 Ops

Post by 777Aviate »

---------- ADS -----------

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Single-Pilot A350 Ops

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

No, we shouldn't be worried... unless you are an RP and have no intention on upgrading.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

The programme, known within Airbus as Project Connect, aims to certify its A350 jet for single-pilot operations during high-altitude cruise, starting in 2025 on Cathay passenger flights, the sources said.
Doesn't seem that concerning really.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It gets pretty busy if something goes wrong with 2 pilots, let alone only 1.

Not to mention if you're dealing with an ETOPs diversion on the ocean or over the pole.

Not to mention if you gotta take a piss or 2 during the time you're up there on your own.

Not to mention if you slept like shit in whatever timezone you're coming out of and you've got the short straw for the all night circadian low shift up front by yourself for the next 6 hours while your partner is in the bunk.

Bad idea all around. 2 pilots are needed.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

altiplano wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:35 am It gets pretty busy if something goes wrong with 2 pilots, let alone only 1.

Not to mention if you're dealing with an ETOPs diversion on the ocean or over the pole.

Not to mention if you gotta take a piss or 2 during the time you're up there on your own.

Not to mention if you slept like shit in whatever timezone you're coming out of and you've got the short straw for the all night circadian low shift up front by yourself for the next 6 hours while your partner is in the bunk.

Bad idea all around. 2 pilots are needed.
I’ll add that personally anytime I’ve done any controlled rest on the flight deck I’m never able to actually get a snooze because I always thinking in the back of my mind about the other guy also falling asleep. I bet it’s going to be tough to actually get to sleep in a bunk knowing the other guy is up there alone and thunderstorms are coming enroute

AirborneAluminum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AirborneAluminum »

Even if it does get certified, an incident will occur sooner or later and we'll be back to 2.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

fish4life wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:01 am I bet it’s going to be tough to actually get to sleep in a bunk knowing the other guy is up there alone and thunderstorms are coming enroute
Exactly... there's no quality rest actually happening... a light doze at best.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

With some airlines putting 250 hr new hires in the right seat I would suggest we already have single pilot ops…..

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”