Regionals hiring this Spring rumours

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Regionals hiring this Spring rumours

Post by pitottubey »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:18 am I don't think many will give up on flying. I myself am making low six figures in another career at the moment and am excited to go back to being a Jazz FO/captain. This aviation thing really is an addiction.
It always surprises me when I hear when pilots somehow go straight from getting laid off from the airlines to making a above average salary in a completely different field...

Even in other professional careers you have to work your way up you don't start from making more then what airline pilots make. I've never understood this. Hypothetically if I was in the regional airlines I have no clue what job I would be able to get that could pay over 50k right off the bat from being furloughed. My only explanation is that plenty of airline pilots had previous careers they could fall back to?? Im only 25 YO and don't.
---------- ADS -----------

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

pitottubey wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:05 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:18 am I don't think many will give up on flying. I myself am making low six figures in another career at the moment and am excited to go back to being a Jazz FO/captain. This aviation thing really is an addiction.
It always surprises me when I hear when pilots somehow go straight from getting laid off from the airlines to making a above average salary in a completely different field...

Even in other professional careers you have to work your way up you don't start from making more then what airline pilots make. I've never understood this. Hypothetically if I was in the regional airlines I have no clue what job I would be able to get that could pay over 50k right off the bat from being furloughed. My only explanation is that plenty of airline pilots had previous careers they could fall back to?? Im only 25 YO and don't.
Yes, you basically need another fallback career/skill or to start a successful business (this takes longer to make good money though). I am employed as a senior software engineer. I have 4 years of experience in the field prior to becoming a pilot. I also got lucky because the software field is facing a huge shortage at the moment so there is pressure for higher salaries.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:15 pm

Yes, you basically need another fallback career/skill or to start a successful business (this takes longer to make good money though). I am employed as a senior software engineer. I have 4 years of experience in the field prior to becoming a pilot. I also got lucky because the software field is facing a huge shortage at the moment so there is pressure for higher salaries.
Makes sense, so that mostly confirms my assumption that in these cases the furloughed pilots had a career before flying. I also would assume then that for any young pilots like myself where aviation is their first career, they wont make more doing something unrelated when they are laid off.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

pitottubey wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:46 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:15 pm

Makes sense, so that mostly confirms my assumption that in these cases the furloughed pilots had a career before flying. I also would assume then that for any young pilots like myself where aviation is their first career, they wont make more doing something unrelated when they are laid off.
For sure, which is why I think it’s very wise to get yourself some other qualifications if it’s at all possible. A relevant degree, some trade experience that can go toward a red seal, anything that will put you in an ok spot if you’re facing a layoff for a couple of years

330heavy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 330heavy »

Good for those who've had that comfortable fallback job. I know many who don't and are suffering. This pandemic and it's far reaching consequences couldn't have been foreseen. Even 9/11, didn't have such an impact as this. However, this does underline the fact, for many, and those entering the profession, to have something to fall back on just incase. The mass layoffs will happen again, and again. Either have a lot of seniority in your musical chair, or be prepared.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

Thankfully I do have a trade I could fall back on and make 40 - 50 k actually (thank god), I've just never understood how people get furloughed and make MORE then they did at the airline like Ash ketchum

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

330heavy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:42 pm Good for those who've had that comfortable fallback job. I know many who don't and are suffering. This pandemic and it's far reaching consequences couldn't have been foreseen. Even 9/11, didn't have such an impact as this. However, this does underline the fact, for many, and those entering the profession, to have something to fall back on just incase. The mass layoffs will happen again, and again. Either have a lot of seniority in your musical chair, or be prepared.
well said

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

What a mess, having a parachute is and always has been a really smart idea.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”