CJ staff reduction

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Captain P. Nile
Rank 1
Rank 1

CJ staff reduction

Post by Captain P. Nile »

Have heard nothing about Cargo Jet over the last week. Have been waiting to see if they made the board. Well, they had a ground school sched for 6 people(politically correct) and they cacelled it. They then reduced their current roster by 14 pilots. Now the remaining guys are going to be working 20 days a month. Why? The bean-counters have become involved and have decided that if they work 5 days a week, then the pilots will as well. So that means they have effectively let 20 people go from the roster, and the people left will work 20 days. HMMM.... Buzz, are you paying attention....
---------- ADS -----------

confuzed
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by confuzed »

Anyone know if the january class got affected at all? They didn't layoff those guys/gals did they??

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
Captain P. Nile
Rank 1
Rank 1

January class?

You mean January 2006? If they have not runa course since then I would think so.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

You'd think they would have paid a little attention to what happened over at ACE. Oh well, history is bound to repeat it's self I guess.

abc xyz
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by abc xyz »

20 days you say. Problem with bean counters is that they really dont understand logistics when they cut just dollar figures.

20 days - doable not fun but doable. 20 nights like most of the pilots will end up probably flying is quite frankly unsafe and unhealthy. If relations are as good as everybody proclaims with management there I suggest a chat is in order with the CP et al.

Just an average man doing heroes work
Anjo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Anjo »

For what it's worth, the CP and DFO are incredible guys who fly the same nights as any other, and are massively respected by the pilot group. One would bet they are being muzzled and directed somewhat themselves and are only carrying out orders from the people in charge of money who do not fly as opposed to dreaming this up themselves. Either way, a rough ride ahead.

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

nothing is wrong. everything is fine.

arewethereyet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arewethereyet »

Bring in the CAW!!! they will get everyone more time off. Just like ace!

Fred Flinstone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fred Flinstone »

Good one! Company debts, 10-11 million. Company worth 2-3 million. Must of been the CAW for sure. Good one BK.
Management a 1000 times better at CJ.

airturd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by airturd »

For what it's worth, I just noticed on the TSX website that Mr. Virmani bought another $800,000 worth of Cargojet stock for the family trust. I would take this to be a good sign. At least he's not headed for South America with a suitcase full of cash.

It's also nice that he owns a decent chunk of the Trust, plus the 30% of Cargojet which Cargojet Income Trust doesn't own. At least he's committed to the future of the company.

george sugar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by george sugar »

Hi folks. Dave and I have not been muzzled, but in our roles we are the ones that take the messages from the line to senior management and back. And being in management of a public company, we are constrained in what we say by the rules of the Exchange. We are also responsible to the Minister of Transport to ensure that the operation is safe and compliant. Within those boundaries, I can say this much.

You can't operate an aircraft without pilots to fly them, engineers to fix them, and salesmen to book them. However, if there isn't a company, there are no aircraft to be flown, fix or sell. And you can't have a company without financial controls and the accountants that administer them. The "bean counters", as we sometimes disparagingly call them, are no less professional in their craft than we are. Whether we like it or not, we all work within those realities, and we have seen what happens when one of these elements is flawed.

The nature of these disciplines is to have conflicting demands, and the success of an airline is determined by how well these demands are balanced. It is not static, this process. It varies around a point, and if the point is in the centre then the airline is successful. If it swings too far in any direction and stays there, it is not going to last for long.

Cargojet is a successful and profitable company. All of the pilots hired in January remain on staff. We did do some interviews for a prospective course to build a pool of candidates, but it was made clear that this was of a speculative nature to cover possibilities. These "reduced their current roster by 14 pilots" or "effectively let 20 people go from the roster" statements are pure hyperbole.

Mark Twain said that history does not repeat itself, but it rhymes, and a poem can be a source of joy or a well of tears; it all depends on how you see your life at the moment you read it. Cargojet is not one of those companies that ignores realities at the expense of wishful thinking. We are paying attention, and we are making some hard choices, but it is better to deal with things as they are than to wish that they were different.

"A rough ride ahead?"; what road worth traveling is perfectly smooth? Hold the line, it'll all come together in the flare.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

thanks for the scoop george.

laststandingpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by laststandingpilot »

not trying to be smug but thats pretty much the same as saying "yes. we are in trouble"?

Last edited by laststandingpilot on Mon May 22, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laststandingpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by laststandingpilot »

george sugar wrote:Hi folks. Dave and I have not been muzzled, but in our roles we are the ones that take the messages from the line to senior management and back. And being in management of a public company, we are constrained in what we say by the rules of the Exchange. We are also responsible to the Minister of Transport to ensure that the operation is safe and compliant. Within those boundaries, I can say this much.

You can't operate an aircraft without pilots to fly them, engineers to fix them, and salesmen to book them. However, if there isn't a company, there are no aircraft to be flown, fix or sell. And you can't have a company without financial controls and the accountants that administer them. The "bean counters", as we sometimes disparagingly call them, are no less professional in their craft than we are. Whether we like it or not, we all work within those realities, and we have seen what happens when one of these elements is flawed.

The nature of these disciplines is to have conflicting demands, and the success of an airline is determined by how well these demands are balanced. It is not static, this process. It varies around a point, and if the point is in the centre then the airline is successful. If it swings too far in any direction and stays there, it is not going to last for long.

Cargojet is a successful and profitable company. All of the pilots hired in January remain on staff. We did do some interviews for a prospective course to build a pool of candidates, but it was made clear that this was of a speculative nature to cover possibilities. These "reduced their current roster by 14 pilots" or "effectively let 20 people go from the roster" statements are pure hyperbole.

Mark Twain said that history does not repeat itself, but it rhymes, and a poem can be a source of joy or a well of tears; it all depends on how you see your life at the moment you read it. Cargojet is not one of those companies that ignores realities at the expense of wishful thinking. We are paying attention, and we are making some hard choices, but it is better to deal with things as they are than to wish that they were different.

"A rough ride ahead?"; what road worth traveling is perfectly smooth? Hold the line, it'll all come together in the flare.

abc xyz
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by abc xyz »

laststandingpilot wrote:not trying to be smug but is not that pretty much the same as saying "yes. we are in trouble"?
my take - i think it was his diplomatic way of saying some things are outta my hands right now with regards to flight ops and the operation. some belt tightening is needed now to stop the bleeding.
:x

asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

Well, he cares enough to come talk to his employees and the aviation community. Have to respect that.

abc xyz
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by abc xyz »

KFC you're absolutely right. George is obviously seen in the highest regard by those who work under him. nothing is worse than a manager who is afraid to interact with the rank and file.

I even have some PFO letters from back in the day signed by George. :D Cargojet was the only airline I ever dealt with that even acknowledge receiving my application. a lil recognition goes a long way

Captain P. Nile
Rank 1
Rank 1

Mark Twain is dead

History. If we do not know history it is bound to repeat itself. The point of the original post was the fact that any respectable company would by choice work their people 20 days a month, with no overtime involved. The point is if the full airplanes are not generating enough money to have sufficient staff to fly the airplanes, then the bean counters need to re-evaluate the price per kilo issue. The problem, whether public or private company, is that once again the pilots are asked to sacrifice thier lives for the company. 20 days a month means that the 10 days off are spent tired and worn out. The 10 days are low in activity because most nights every month are spent in an airplane. The families suffer, the pilot suffers. That in my mind is the reality of the situation. Most of the companies out there take the pilot for granted, and expect him or her to give up personal life for professional life. This is the issue. It is called respect. Flightcrew these days get none. That is the issue. Instead of letting pilots go, and not training new ones, how about negotiating a contract with the customers that will generate enough profit that an adequate crew roster can be obtained and maintained. Give the flightcrew the respect they deserve. The days of having an endless supply of people is coming to a close, and when it does, reality is going to dictate that companies are going to make the happiness of their crews a number one priority. It is long overdue.

WhiteBeacon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WhiteBeacon »

Capt. Nile, you seem pretty bitter about respect. Man I gotta ask is everything all right at home or what? As you can see by Mr. Sugar's post they didn't lay anyone off. However there is nothing more frustrating to a pilot then being called for an interview on your own expense to be put in a pool. The industry is booming and if you need guys then you call them for an interview. I ask management to reflect when they were starting out, when they got a call for an interview how excited they were. Changed their work skeds, forked over money for a ticket and waited for a call, hopes higher than the moon. All for a chance to get in a pool. Come on!

Captain P. Nile
Rank 1
Rank 1

Rambling

Hey Beekon, great post. My home life is fine, as if it is any of your business anyway. Is there something in my post that your experience in aviation tells you I have missed something important. The only part of your post I understood was the concern for my homelife, and I appreciate that. The fact is that the crew roster is smaller today than it was one month ago. The fact is that the flying demands have reduced by 1 run. The fact is that the accountants have said there needs to be better use of crew rosters. The fact is that CJ can use crews up to 20 days and not pay overtime. The fact is that 20 days a month leads to fatigue and frustration. The fact is that refering to the DFO as Mr. will not get you a job. The fact is, you do not know what you are talking about. The fact is working night frieght 20 days a month is disrespectful. The fact is you need to get some perspective.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”