Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

spin drift
Rank 1
Rank 1

Laser beam hits WestJet pilot in the eye on Calgary takeoff

Post by spin drift »

Last Updated: Thursday, October 16, 2008 | 10:08 AM MT Comments64Recommend71
CBC News
Someone used a hand-held laser pointer to target a plane leaving from the Calgary airport. (Canadian Press)
Transport Canada and police are investigating a complaint that a WestJet pilot was hit in the eye with a green laser beam while his plane was taking off from the Calgary airport, CBC News has learned.

This is at least the fourth incident this year where someone has used a hand-held laser pointer to target a plane leaving from, or arriving at, the Calgary airport.

The WestJet flight had just taken off from Calgary, bound for Kelowna, B.C., almost two weeks ago when a green laser briefly lit up the cockpit, said WestJet official Scott Wilson.

The first officer looked out to see where it was coming from and was hit directly in the eyes.

The crew member did not suffer any permanent damage, which could jeopardize a pilot's career.

"As soon as they got to [the] destination, we had them off-loaded from the aircraft and report to emergency for a proper ophthalmologic exam," said Wilson. "And we actually had one more followup when they returned to Calgary a day later."

Wilson said powerful laser pointers are widely available and safe to use according to their instructions. But he warns that the police take incidents where a plane is being tracked with a laser very seriously, especially when planes are landing or taking off.

"I don't know if the individuals that are perpetrating such things truly understand the danger of the laser versus it's kind of fun to point a light at the aircraft. But you know, anything that can cause long-term ill effects to our employees or our guests causes us concern, great concern quite honestly."

Transport Canada said had received at least 33 reports of bright lights shining into cockpits from the ground over the past two years in Canada, as of April.

David Mackow pleaded guilty earlier this year to breaching the Aeronautics Act after an Air Canada Jazz pilot was distracted by a green laser beam while landing in Calgary on Oct. 15, 2007. The laser beam came from an apartment in the city's downtown core.

The pilot reported the incident and Calgary police dispatched its HAWCS helicopter to investigate. Mackow, a forklift operator, pointed the green beam into the helicopter.

Mackow told police he was "just having some fun," but was fined $1,000. Court records show that he later expressed remorse for his actions.
---------- ADS -----------

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Laser beam hits WestJet pilot in the eye on Calgary takeoff

Post by Rebel »

[quote="spin drift"]Last Updated: Thursday, October 16, 2008 | 10:08 AM MT Comments64Recommend71
CBC News
"As soon as they got to [the] destination, we had them off-loaded from the aircraft and report for a proper to emergency ophthalmologic exam," said Wilson. "And we actually had one more followup when they returned to Calgary a day later."

quote]

If the situation was serious enough for the crew to “ report for a proper to emergency ophthalmologic exam," upon arrival at destination why didn’t the aircraft return immediately to YYC for the same ophthalmologic examination?

Hopefully there has to be more to this story

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

I'm sure that since it's a news story, it's completely factual and not at all hyped up into a sensational article.

Drinking outside the box.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

If I was hit by a laser but didn't have any immediate loss of vision, I think I would have continued to destination (on a 2 crew environment of course) and get checked at destination.

Going for the deck at corner
C-MNOP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by C-MNOP »

Safety Second???

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

but was fined $1,000
Am I the only one who thinks that this is dangerous enough to warrant serious jail time instead of fines lower than littering.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

C-MNOP wrote:Safety Second???
Nope, common sense first.

C-MNOP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by C-MNOP »

Common sense AND safety would dictate that you land at the nearest suitable airport in the event of a crew member incapacitaion. I guess the difference for me is safety first. Common sense second. The safety of the people onboard will always come before anything else.

chuck130
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chuck130 »

C-MNOP wrote:Common sense AND safety would dictate that you land at the nearest suitable airport in the event of a crew member incapacitaion. I guess the difference for me is safety first. Common sense second. The safety of the people onboard will always come before anything else.
That's the worst case of armchair quarterbacking I've ever witnessed on this site, and that's saying something... :prayer:

I don't think anyone mentioned crew member "incapacitaion".

Haulin' Trash......
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

C-MNOP wrote:Common sense AND safety would dictate that you land at the nearest suitable airport in the event of a crew member incapacitaion. I guess the difference for me is safety first. Common sense second. The safety of the people onboard will always come before anything else.
Dude assessed himself good to go, and got checked out when they got where they were going. WTF is the big deal here? I was one of the planes 'lasered' in YXX and my FO was the one who saw the laser. He didn't think we took a direct hit to the cockpit, but it was close, and he assessed himself to be fine to continue. When he got home, he just got checked out to be sure and was fine. I'm pretty sure someone will know right away if there's any damage to their sight and act accordingly.

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

I completely agree. If a crewmember suffers a hit in the eye by a laser a crewmember is considered incapacitated until cleared by a medical professional. That’s pretty much common sense. If WJ was so concerned about the safety of the flight why didn’t they order the immediate return to the airport? Perhaps the WJ lawyers/common sense types realized the potential lawsuits/safety issues after the fact and tried to play catch up by putting their spin on it. Their spokesperson sure screwed that one up

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

There are 2 crews. I don't see how it's unsafe to keep going if the said FO assesed himself as good to go (Close the right eye, I can see, close the left eye, I can see). Then, as precautions, you go see the doc at destination (which didn't find anything).

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

We were not there, so this is all a bit of an exersice in "what if". That being said, it appears that WJ's legal/and or Medical team thought it warranted an immediate eye exam in Kelowna.
I suppose SOMEBODY was concerned over the perceived welfare of the crew. I am concerned that it wasn't the skipper. Peolple who have been injured often put on a false bravado to try and minimize the impact of their injuries. It happens all the time. " NO big deal, its just a flesh wound". IMHO, the flight should have been turned around. It was night time, Kelowna is in a mountanous airport, 2 fully functioning crew can bee very important on a 737, a criminal act was done to the aircraft, and maybe more people in the back, besides the FO were also struck by the laser and require eye exams, the FO MAY or MAY NOT be putting on this bravado, and lastly I would want my crew member to assured of immediate care. Perhaps, being an owner, the skipper had other priorities on his mind.....

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

Perhaps, but not likely, Tailgunner.

rightseatwonder
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by rightseatwonder »

So who exactly gets to decide whether they are fit to fly then? If you slightly bumped your head getting in the flight deck, do you ground yourself to get checked for a concussion? Hey! your capacity to determine your own fitness to fly is compromised. If I ever get on board with any of you armchair QB's I will be having a full work up done, breathalyzer, blood test and mental-health screen. You never know, and obviously can't determine that for yourself.

YOU WERE NOT THERE. Use some sense people.

Just another example how this site is filled with monday morning QB's who jump all over any other supposed colleague and sh%t all over them any chance they get.

the real story here is that people are pointing anything at airplanes for "a bit of fun!" We should be discussing THAT.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Could we not use this laser pointing idiots head to break in our new boots .Perhaps he should be made to apologise to the passengers on that flight as well for endangering their flight.And they should get to kick him in the nuts as well :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maybe kicking might be too violent ,perhaps a gentle punch in the face from each pax ought to provide some deterence from others playing silly bugga's with lasers :smt072 :smt072

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

rightseatwonder wrote:So who exactly gets to decide whether they are fit to fly then? If you slightly bumped your head getting in the flight deck, do you ground yourself to get checked for a concussion? Hey! your capacity to determine your own fitness to fly is compromised. If I ever get on board with any of you armchair QB's I will be having a full work up done, breathalyzer, blood test and mental-health screen. You never know, and obviously can't determine that for yourself.

YOU WERE NOT THERE. Use some sense people.

Just another example how this site is filled with monday morning QB's who jump all over any other supposed colleague and sh%t all over them any chance they get.

the real story here is that people are pointing anything at airplanes for "a bit of fun!" We should be discussing THAT.
1. Your medical department.2 Yes you do because if anything happens during the flight or at a later date you and your company are on the hook. No company appreciates cowboys they’re too expensive.3. The crew put both their company and their passengers at persona/financial risk by not immediately landing and lawyers just love this sort of action...

Last edited by Rebel on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huge Hammer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Huge Hammer »

Rebel wrote:
I completely agree. If a crewmember suffers a hit in the eye by a laser a crewmember is considered incapacitated until cleared by a medical professional. That’s pretty much common sense. If WJ was so concerned about the safety of the flight why didn’t they order the immediate return to the airport? Perhaps the WJ lawyers/common sense types realized the potential lawsuits/safety issues after the fact and tried to play catch up by putting their spin on it. Their spokesperson sure screwed that one up
Ah Mr Rebel

You have been shot down so much on other comments you have made that you have a credibility gap to begin with. Nice to see that once again you have lived up to your reputation.

You were not there and your assertion is idiotic.

If he assessed himself fit to continue then that works for me. The crew made the decision, that is what they are charged to do.

As an alleged aviator I thought you understood this.

The spokesperson you have no problem slamming is actually a Director of Flight Standards.

I know this does not fit with the narrative in your head to slam WS at every opportunity to make yourself feel better.

I would tell you to do better but you have shown neither the inclination or mental capacity to do so.

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

Ah Huge Hammer

How like you to try to turn another owner’s screw-up into a personal attack. You sure try to take the spot light off the real issue. If your spokesperson is the best you got for containing a safety issue then what can anyone say...

Last edited by Rebel on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phileas Fogg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Phileas Fogg »

Ah Huge Hammer,

Well your little cartoon of a baby falling down some stairs is pretty classy too.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”