Air Transat to bring in Foreign Pilots next winter.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rogerdodger2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Air Transat to bring in Foreign Pilots next winter.

Post by Rogerdodger2 »

I have just learned that an internal memo was just circulated outlining plans to take part in TFW program.

Interesting development eh Gilles

Think for yourselves...
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Air Transat to bring in Foreign Pilots next winter.

Post by ahramin »

Good idea rogerdodger, when you can't use facts in an argument, start rumours instead. :lol:

It amazes me how many people in our industry don't mind acting like clowns.

60N30W
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 60N30W »

Rogerdodger2

Could you do me a favor and publish that memo? Our internal mail system is very slow and I have not seen it yet......

Thanks for your help

Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

Please post said memo, hasn't hit my inbox yet either..... :lol:

And I believe if this were to actually happen there would be quite the sh!t storm here....

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

That is a heck of a claim Rodger. I really hope you had something to back it up before you came on here and posted . Please share with us.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
DeltaHotel
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DeltaHotel »

If you mean they hired of couple of ''foreign'' anglophones from Ontario in the last hiring batch, then yes, the rumour is true.

Good reporting there RodgerDodger.

Rogerdodger2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rogerdodger2 »

Sucks when people lie and make up ridiculous stories and claims about the company you work for. I would imagine all the responses are from Transat employees and look how upset you are that I would post that crap. You just took a few steps in SW employees shoes. 90% of the stuff your hero Gilles posts is the same kind of crap. Yet you hold him up on a pedestal as some hero of the Canadian Pilot. He does the same thing I just did...
Think for yourselves...

Rogerdodger2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rogerdodger2 »

ahramin wrote:Good idea rogerdodger, when you can't use facts in an argument, start rumours instead. :lol:

It amazes me how many people in our industry don't mind acting like clowns.

Your hero Gilles is the ring leader. You just condemn me for doing what he does almost every time he posts here.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Cut and paste from the Sunwing CBA, no comments:
6.8 Seasonal Canadian Flight Crew Members (Effective June 1, 2013)
6.8.1 General
d) Seasonal Canadian Flight Crew Member shall be First Officers only.
6.9 Foreign Flight Crew Members
6.9.1 The Company may contract Foreign Flight Crew Members subject to the following conditions:
c) The Company will endeavor not to contract more Foreign Flight Crew Member Captains than Foreign Flight Crew Member First Officers. The Company will have meaningful consultation with the Union if there is a need to bring in more Foreign Flight Crew Member Captains than Foreign Flight Crew Member First Officers. The Company will ensure that all qualified First Officers have been upgraded if Foreign Flight Crew Member Captains exceed Foreign Flight Crew Member First Officers.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

I have no stake in any of this but if you want to make a point rogerdodger then at least try to bring some new and credible information to counter Gilles otherwise it comes across as petulance.

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

That was kinda humorous roger dodger. But the ratio at sunwing isn't one for one. We've had years to correct it. It's still not corrected. At the same time the Gilles crowd doesn't want to admit they played dirty for years then created the game (tfw). Sunwing just kicked their ass it.

Why is it AC and WJ don't care nearly as much? The alternative is sunwing gets a large fleet of 737's and cherry picks the bread and butter domestic routes. One of two options I wish we'd do.

aerosexual
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerosexual »

whipline wrote:That was kinda humorous roger dodger. But the ratio at sunwing isn't one for one. We've had years to correct it. It's still not corrected. At the same time the Gilles crowd doesn't want to admit they played dirty for years then created the game (tfw). Sunwing just kicked their ass it.

Why is it AC and WJ don't care nearly as much? The alternative is sunwing gets a large fleet of 737's and cherry picks the bread and butter domestic routes. One of two options I wish we'd do.
Sunwing YYZ/YVR flights are always full. Sunwing could easily focus on strong leisure domestic flights in the summer and at least break-even. This would help create work for a few 737's in the summer to help with the summer/winter balance.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

For years, Transat did YUL-YYZ-YVR flights, sometimes as red-eyes, as well as YYZ-YYT-YQX flights. They were full. Then one day we stopped. I don't know the reason.

aerosexual
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerosexual »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:For years, Transat did YUL-YYZ-YVR flights, sometimes as red-eyes, as well as YYZ-YYT-YQX flights. They were full. Then one day we stopped. I don't know the reason.
I don't expect these flights to be highly profitable, if profitable at all. But it is an effective way to keep aircraft flying and in essence grow the core fleet and hire permanent flight crew. During the summer, the Air Transat fleet is busy crossing the Atlantic. This type of flying makes more sense with Sunwing 737's in the summer to keep them busy and have some revenue.

Progress will continue, and I am curious to see what effect today's changes to the TFW program will have on Sunwing going forward.

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:For years, Transat did YUL-YYZ-YVR flights, sometimes as red-eyes, as well as YYZ-YYT-YQX flights. They were full. Then one day we stopped. I don't know the reason.
It's easy to fill an airplane. Just because it's full doesn't mean it's profitable.

It's hard to fill an airplane and make good money.

bmc
60N30W
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 60N30W »

Rogerdodger2 wrote:Sucks when people lie and make up ridiculous stories and claims about the company you work for. I would imagine all the responses are from Transat employees and look how upset you are that I would post that crap. You just took a few steps in SW employees shoes. 90% of the stuff your hero Gilles posts is the same kind of crap. Yet you hold him up on a pedestal as some hero of the Canadian Pilot. He does the same thing I just did...
Think for yourselves...
Roger dodger 2,

So there is no memo? Good to know the internal mail system is not broken! Had me worried.

As to Gilles being a hero, well I won't speak for others, for me personally he is no hero. I respect the hard work he has put into this but I do not agree with all his approaches. I do have to say he has done more to bring the issues out into the open and protect Canadian pilot jobs then anyone else lately. Certainly more than ALPA, ACPA, WJPA, Teamsters, etc... Proof is out there Sunwing keeps having to hire Canadian pilots and you have more Canadian pilots below you on the seniority list. That is always a good thing....

Back to pilot heroes, someone like Wop May can be considered a hero. I don't think there is anyone out there flying today that could be considered a hero, with maybe the exception of search and rescue crews who go flying when everyone else is one the ground.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”