Air Transat hiring..

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Niodatchi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Air Transat hiring..

Post by Niodatchi »

I have no idea how many positions are opened but it sounds promising! :D http://www.transat.com/en/careers/searc ... &Domain=17
---------- ADS -----------

esp803

Re: Air Transat hiring..

Post by esp803 »

This is just the winter job I was looking for.... Oh.... Wait...
-Hold a valid qualification on B737, A310 or A330
... I wonder if I could get EI to pay for my type rating.... :roll:

E

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Requirements

-Canadian airline pilot's licence ;
-4,000 hours of flying time;
-Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident status
-In-depth knowledge of Canadian Aviation Regulations and A.I.P. Canada;
-Updated certified logbook;
-Bilingual (French and English);
-Ready to accept an assignment at our base in Toronto with variable work schedules;
-No restrictions for travelling to the U.S. or other countries served by Air Transat;
-Minimum probation period: one year.

Posting ends: Monday August 25th 2014

Still pushing the french hard for that YYZ base! :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
Rogerdodger2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rogerdodger2 »

Requirements

-Canadian airline pilot's licence ;
-4,000 hours of flying time;
-Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident status
-In-depth knowledge of Canadian Aviation Regulations and A.I.P. Canada;
-Updated certified logbook;
-Bilingual (French and English);
-Ready to accept an assignment at our base in Toronto with variable work schedules;
-No restrictions for travelling to the U.S. or other countries served by Air Transat;
-Minimum probation period: one year.

Posting ends: Monday August 25th 2014

Where's Gilles on this one? -Hold a valid qualification on B737, A310 or A330
Must be bilingual ... Discrimination?
Every pilot in Canada who doesn't hold a valid qualification should file a complaint.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

He got a time out

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

In the last few rounds of hiring recently there were several people without a TR and who were not bilingual.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
airboy1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airboy1 »

Its unfortunate Transat has joined the ranks of vacation airlines that hire you based on your type rating, rather than the content of your character.
I remember where companies used to hire people based on experience / brain power, it's coming to a sad ending of just pure money saving tactic and not long term goals.

For those that think they'll get a quick upgrade because of experience on type, there is no shortage of guys upgradeable to captain in senriority list so you will still be there f/o for next 8-10 years... You'll still make the crappy wages any junior pilot at transat earns for the first few years. Type rating / experience on type will mean squat.

Another joins the ranks...

Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

There are plenty of us Anglo types here, and you'll have the opportunity to fly a wide body aircraft possibly from day one of emoyment if not within a few years at most can't say the same for other carriers in Canada, (if flying a wb floats your boat).

Salary for the first two years is no screaming hell, and is pretty much identical to the other major carriers in Canada, however year 3 if you get on the wb it goes up quick.

Anyways of you are a non type rated Anglo and want to work here don't despair just apply....

Cheers

Niodatchi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Niodatchi »

Totally agree with you Steve! In the last round of hiring, many guys came type-rated from Canjet and Sunwing. But also a lot of non-type rated, from Jazz, Pascan, Inuit, Georgian, Porter,First Air...Just to name a few. And a lot of anglos as well. If you have an open-mind and the right attitude they will welcome you with open arms! Best luck to all candidates!

David ..

GRK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK »

So if that's really the case (Type rated and bilingual) why even put that requirement in there? Seems redundant doesn't it?

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

I dont understand why people always get their panties in a twist when companies list their ideal qualifications in finding a candidate. In a perfect world, Transat would be able to choose from a wide selection of candidates with 4000+hrs, TR, bilingual, etc. But realistically, they know they won't be able to find those characteristics in every candidate. But they still list what they would like, ideally, and then go from there.

It's kind of like when I was looking for a girlfriend. I made a list of what I wanted in an ideal girl: good looking, brunette, taller than 5'3 but shorter than 5'8, not overweight but not too thin, no unibrow, no unnecessary body hair, have a job and earn at least $50,000, own a car, not be looking for a sugar daddy, be ok with my schedule, not into Jersey Shore, not have kids but wants to have them one day, not be a hippie, not be a smoker, not use drugs of any kind, knows how to cook and enjoys eating in, enjoys giving me massages, etc etc.

I knew I wasn't going to be able to find a girl who met all my requirements. If I just waited for that "unicorn" to come into my life, I'd be single and lonely forever. But those were some of my ideal characteristics. Some of them I won't budge on, others I;m willing to compromise on. Companies are the same- when they're hiring, they will list what they want in an ideal candidate. Doesn't mean they'll find one, but they'll try, and they're aware they'll need to compromise on what they want.

Rogerdodger2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rogerdodger2 »

Yeah it's ok when Transat does it but there are numerous post from your hero Gilles slamming SW for doing the same thing.

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

Rogerdodger2 wrote:Yeah it's ok when Transat does it but there are numerous post from your hero Gilles slamming SW for doing the same thing.
Actually, Gilles and others slam SW for using foreign pilots, NOT for preferring guys with a certain experience or qualification level.

It's absurd to think that Gilles is attacking you guys. The issue is with management's practices using foreign pilots. I don't blame or hate SW pilots at all, I have friends there and don't want to see you guys sink. I would like to see the practice of using foreign pilots stop though. That's in every Canadian pilot's best interest.

And for the record, if Transat does use foreign pilots, I can promise you that Gilles and our pilot group will do everything we can to prevent it from happening. And if, in the unlikely event, it did... Gilles and the pilot group is not to blame. It's management. :evil:

Ironman2909
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ironman2909 »

TopperHarley wrote:
Rogerdodger2 wrote:Yeah it's ok when Transat does it but there are numerous post from your hero Gilles slamming SW for doing the same thing.
Actually, Gilles and others slam SW for using foreign pilots, NOT for preferring guys with a certain experience or qualification level.

It's absurd to think that Gilles is attacking you guys. The issue is with management's practices using foreign pilots. I don't blame or hate SW pilots at all, I have friends there and don't want to see you guys sink. I would like to see the practice of using foreign pilots stop though. That's in every Canadian pilot's best interest.

And for the record, if Transat does use foreign pilots, I can promise you that Gilles and our pilot group will do everything we can to prevent it from happening. And if, in the unlikely event, it did... Gilles and the pilot group is not to blame. It's management. :evil:

Amen! :D

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

I guess the big difference between transat and Sunwing is, regardless of the add, Canadians work at transat and Europeans work at Sunwing. No?

Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

Has TS hired tfw pilots yet? .... No.... They've repeatedly stated they will not do that, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and believe me if they company does hire tfw pilots the TS pilot group would fight it tooth and nail.

So there is a big difference, sw has repeatedly asked for type rated pilots as a way of excluding Canadian pilots In preference to tfw pilots. Transat has not....

Cheers and best of luck to all applicants!

airboy1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airboy1 »

Anyone know the payscale for full time 737 f/o? I've heard before you don't get paid/credited for deadheads. Am I correct?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

It's amazing how many pilots have trouble with simple concepts. The problem with Sunwing's hiring practices isn't that it requires type ratings, it's that it gets around the laws preventing the hire of foreign workers by pretending that if you don't have a type rating for their aircraft, you aren't an employable pilot.

If Transat can find bilingual type rated Canadian pilots willing to work for 50k a year in Toronto, I guess they can require type ratings. I doubt they'll be very successful with it, but I can understand their motivation. Trying to line indoc almost 1/3 of their pilots on a new aircraft type in one winter is going to be ... challenging? ... impossible?

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

It seems entirely reasonable that (a French Canadian company) Air Transat, headquartered in Montreal, mandated by the Quebec government to foster a more prominent role for the French language (as it does at Air Canada, CAE, Bombardier and every other corporation and business in the province) within their organization that they would ask for any candidate to be bilingual. Thereby ticking a box for the Quebec language police.
The liklihood of the bilingual pilot population in Canada being huge seems unlikely, doesn't it? And any current type rated bilingual pilot rated on the A310 is probably flying for the Canadian Forces out of Trenton, or flying an A330 for some foreign carrier.
Now, for $50K as a junior F/O how likely is it that AT will be exclusively recruiting ONLY bilingual type rated pilots?
We've had the French language taught in Canadian schools (outside Quebec) for what, decades?
Completely reasonable they'd throw that qualification in there.

Looks like a few still don't get it.

:partyman:
Gino Under

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

so did they call type rated pilots only for this posting ?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”