John Hodgson rcaf /cd passes okanagan/vih

This forum has been created as an area to share memories of friends, who have passed on, that had a love for flight.

Moderators: North Shore, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

oldncold
Rank 8
Rank 8

John Hodgson rcaf /cd passes okanagan/vih

Post by oldncold »

It is with sadness. the passing. of a kind man a gifted helicopter engineer in his day. tireless work ethic. John. born in Haney bc 1931. passed away quietly at 88 yrs. yesterday
John joined the rcaf out of high-school. Worked on. p51 and lancaster. beech 18 Harvard's. before moving to west coast. getting into. helicopters he was involved in several high profile searches tca and as flt tech did what Sar techs do now .He was one of the first group of flt techs on the new lab in 1963 , Vic Hodge, John and Don McFarlane. he taught in Trenton aero engines and helicopters. after 16 yrs and young family. 1965 joined Okanagan helicopters and began a lifetime of travel new experiences and adventures , those were heady days new machines people and ideas . Base engineer 67-9 Kemano bc with ww2spitfire Battle of Britain ace Wilfred Pinner 69-71 Smithers, with Al Eustis, 77-83 Nelson bc. Doug Williams and several years inbetween in the vancouver pool took him to the high arctic rez bay, Beaufort sea up and down the Mackenzie valley . For months at a time. 1990 John joined V.I.H. He enjoyed being the ole hand still climbing up I down and around helicopter well into his late 60’s . mentoring the young apprentices and he appreciated them too passing on and teaching Him about computer s . . He retired quietly in March 1999 as was his nature , with a small retirement luncheon at the hangar given by vih surrounded by the people that meant a lot to him the guys. Gals on the hangar floor..Al Eustis from the hai gave dad a plaque for 48yrs of Safety and service to to the industry he proudly displayed that until the end. he lived quietly. Enjoyed it not travelling after all those decades . much to his wife chagrin “I’ve seen all I need to see from being chased by polar bears, to fancy hotels, to shacks in the woods and bombed out basement ruins as a child in England. “

So for all the adventures , lessons and experiences memories dad , thank you till we meet again
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “AvCanada's Wall”