Goodbye to Muchacho

This forum has been created as an area to share memories of friends, who have passed on, that had a love for flight.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Goodbye to Muchacho

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Last week, Mehdi Azali, aka Muchacho on this forum, has died in the United States. I am personally not familiar with the circumstances, but I do understand it has something to do with aviation. I would like to express my condolenses to his family. I know that on this forum he has spoken very positively about his family, and has been a positive influence in this forum.

The Ottawa Flying Club is holding a remembrance get-together in Ottawa this Saturday May 29th from 7-10 P.M., BYOB and if you have photos bring them along and share a funny story. Mehdi would want all those who knew him to have a good time.
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

This is really close to home. I am shakened by this news. My condolences to the family. It is a sad day in aviation.

M.T.

Seb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Seb »

Boy oh boy, this one strikes little too close to home. Little more info here :
http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cf ... 1849&rfi=6
Condolences to the family

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

I've been starring at my screen for a while now...I reread the last emails he sent me...I had been without replies for over 2 1/2 months now!! I wanted to help him with an overseas job! BTW he has twice the hours stated in the News article!

F@*K...His 1st PM sent to me was "Hey, you know I left a 100K $ job to fly...!" It was during that time I was seeking advice about leaving aviation...

:cry: Goodbye!

Last edited by Yoyoma on Thu May 27, 2004 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
fche
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fche »

http://www.faa.gov/avr/aai/iirform.htm

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 3161M Make/Model: C310 Description: 310, T310 (U-3, L-27)
Date: 05/15/2004 Time: 0923

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
ACFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, ONE PERSON ON BOARD WAS FATALLY
INJURED, ACFT WAS DESTROYED, WILLOUGHBY, OH

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: 08542 30009KT GSM -RA ABR BKN006

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: General Aviation

Departed: WILLOUGHBY, OH Dep Date: 05/15/2004 Dep. Time: 0920
Destination: DAYTON, OH Flt Plan: IFR Wx Briefing: U
Last Radio Cont: DEPARTED RY 23 APRX I MILE
Last Clearance: RADAR CONTACT

FAA FSDO: CLEVELAND, OH (GL25) Entry date: 05/17/2004

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

My sincerest condolences to friends and family. I didn't know him personally, but he was part of my aviation freternity through this forum.

Rest in peace.

Bcn-In-Bnd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bcn-In-Bnd »

I just did a search for his posts, so i could remember him.
My prayers go out to him and his FAMILY.

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/search.php?mode=results

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I am beyond words, beyond expressing my condolences to friends and family. One thing that distinguished him was his enthusiasm for aviation, as evidenced by Yoyoma's comments.

Thank you, Right Seat Captain, for bringing this to our attention.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

:cry:
My sincerest condolences to his friends and family.

I am in shock. He wrote me on May 11 about survery flying - we were both flying in FL at the same time.....Even heard him on the Radio....Although I didn't know him outside of this forum, I feel like I have lost a friend.....He will be missed.
:cry:

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

Thanks RSC for that.
We were in touch on a regular basis - although I never met him in person I have lost a friend. He was helped me out a lot with my photo projects and was a super nice, positive guy who loved to fly and aviation in general.
Rest in Peace my friend.
FF

avcanada
Rank Admin
Rank Admin

Post by avcanada »

I am truly sadden to hear of Mr. Mehdi Azali passing. I have probably read all of his posts and in a way feel like I know him well. :(

I will miss him, I will miss reading his messages. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

If anyone would like to make a donation to Mr. Azali's family please feel free to make it by clicking on the paypal "make a donation" link on AvCanada's homepage. I will make sure your kindness gets forwarded to his family.

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

Only know him through this board, but if his contributions here truly reflect the man, we just lost a stand-up fellow. A sad day.

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

PM'd back and forth a few times with him and it's sad to hear this news. My sympathies go out to all involved.

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
Seb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Seb »

I dont mean to hijack the thread but this has been on my mind for the past little while and in light of this topic i thought it might be fitting. How do you approach news like this, do you think it could happen to you? Do you allow yourself to think like that or do you block it out? Just trying to find out if this train of thought keeps you ahead of the plane or does it scare the hell out of you, maybe both. Can you recall a moment you ever considered leaving aviation because you were simply too scared, what made you stay?

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

Seb wrote:I dont mean to hijack the thread but this has been on my mind for the past little while and in light of this topic i thought it might be fitting. How do you approach news like this, do you think it could happen to you? Do you allow yourself to think like that or do you block it out? Just trying to find out if this train of thought keeps you ahead of the plane or does it scare the hell out of you, maybe both. Can you recall a moment you ever considered leaving aviation because you were simply too scared, what made you stay?
You think we have control of fate in such matters? I'm not really sure. However it seems like when your "boarding call" is announced, you're going whether you want to or not.

Drive an airplane or drive a desk. It does not matter my friend....does not matter.... :cry:

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

I was going through my PMs from the old forum and here are a few words from Mehdi - these show the kind of caring person he was:

"My Cyber friend, Fotoflyer:

Another year has come an gone. I am lucky to be able to add
500+ hours to my log book. I also consider myslelf lucky to
have come across your acquaintance ... It is amazing how this
works, there are times that I wonder if this cyber is stronger
than the real thing. I have pondered over your advice, suggestions
and hopes without even having to have a drink with you.

For all it's worth, have a merry Christmas and a happy new year
my friend. Hopefully this year will be a better year for all
of us and Santa will let us spread our wings without too much
worries.

Keep the Blue side up.
Mehdi (a.k.a Muchacho)"

FF

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Another of our group has gone, however I like to look at that he was doing what he wanted most......flying.

E. Gann said it best........Fate is the hunter.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Seb wrote:How do you approach news like this, do you think it could happen to you? Do you allow yourself to think like that or do you block it out? Just trying to find out if this train of thought keeps you ahead of the plane or does it scare the hell out of you, maybe both. Can you recall a moment you ever considered leaving aviation because you were simply too scared, what made you stay?
Well, the aviation community is a small one and it is unfortunate that events are the ones that bring out a fraternal atmosphere. Anybody's leaving us before his time makes us reflect, whether it is muchacho, or the 30-something healthy fellow who one day falls over dead from a heart attack.

We hear of aviation accidents around the world on a regular basis, but we tend to sometimes regard it with the same indifference as other world events. However, when it is someone we know, it makes us think. And thinking is good! Most experienced pilots will relate a few friends who died early, for whatever reason, and will say it could have been them to. From this they wean their respect for aviation, as well as caution.

I remember having done an aircraft crash survival investigation course, and after learning what I did and seeing pictures, I noticed that I started being considerably more cautious about aviation that I used to. In fact, the first preflight I did after that class was probably the longest one I've ever done! Following the publication of the report of a regional airline accident in the US, one pilot wrote "if an experienced professional flight crew can mess up on an uncomplicated instrument approach, then so can I!"

Time to reflect. Another opportunity to learn something.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

I don' know if pilots do block it out and it's funny you say that because I just hung up the phone after a long conversation regarding this! I have to admit that while flying, I never thought of myself getting killed in a crash... I always kept in mind the dangers and when something went wrong, I always was there to react and take corrective actions.

I found this picture...I don't know if it's appropriate to post it but I thought it reflected what everybody thouht of him!

Mehdi Azali a.k.a Muchacho

You'll be missed!

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Normally posting PIC's of someone is inappropriate, but that is a good picture, he looks truely happy.....brings a tear to my eyes.
Damn I've had too many friends burried...fly safe folks.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

Return to “AvCanada's Wall”