Nationair July 11, 1991

This forum has been created as an area to share memories of friends, who have passed on, that had a love for flight.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rank 11
Rank 11

Nationair July 11, 1991

Post by ... »

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, July 11, 1991.

Never forgotten.
Rest in peace my dear friends.

Pictured L-R:
Back:
Kay Smith (Service Director), Deb Salej, 3rd from left - unknown (She was not on board the airplane that day), Dolores Colacci
Front:
Carol Prott, Munir Velgi (Purser), Louisa Mangoff, and Gaynor Bryson

Flight Attendants not pictured: Caroline LeClerc, Zulal Cartmell
Flight Crew not pictured: William Alan, Kent Davidge, Victor Fehr
Mechanics not pictured: Aldo Tettamanti, Jean-Paul Phillipe

Please sign or view the memorial guest book:
http://www2.gol.com/users/daleh/nationair/
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by ... on Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Very interesting and very disturbing.

I have many memories of Jeddah and the hajj, not many of them positive.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

Thanks Birddog,

Not that I needed a reminder of the date that it happened, I lost a good friend that day. The F/O, Kent Davidge, who I had known for quite a number of years before the accident..............I had lunch with his brother a few months ago, we reminisced about the good times that we all had together.

May they all rest in peace.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

Bump :!:

FREEFALL
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FREEFALL »

I was in grade 9 in 1991. I have recollection of this incident. Must have been high.

If riding in a plane is FLYING. Then Riding in a boat is SWIMMING!
bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Nationair July 11, 1991

Post by bmc »

Aldo Tettamanti was a customer service director on that flight and not a mechanic. Aldo worked at Nordair in the 80's and often worked as a relief manager for us northern managers.

F/O Kent Davidge was another of my acquaintances. Coming back to this thread brings me down thinking they're gone. Far too young.

bmc
Kate.Cole
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kate.Cole »

Kent was a Wardair "old boy", was the aircraft vintage WD as well?

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

Kate.Cole wrote:Kent was a Wardair "old boy", was the aircraft vintage WD as well?
Kent flew the DC-3 for Bradley, back in the early 80's. The airplane, C-FLFR, was a former CAF machine that his dad flew in the early 60's. After Bradley's, he went to Skycraft.

bmc
bananaskins
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bananaskins »

I knew Kent Davidge from the days when we were both flying out of Resolute Bay. He was with Bradleys and I was with Borek. I never saw or heard from him after I . left Canada to fly overseas, until we bumped into each other on the 757 course in Seattle with Nationair. It was very nice to meet up with such a good guy and old friend.

Shortly thereafter I was laid off and went to fly for Royal Brunei. Kent went back to the DC8. One of our RBA Captain's was clearing the active in Jeddah that day in 91, when he saw a plume of smoke out of the corner of his eye, rising into the sky. Nationair's DC8.

As far as my time at Nationair was concerned, I couldn't have been happier. Living in St. Adele, and meeting with the others in the Nationair ski club every week up the hill for a really good time. I was as happy as a pig in shit. Despite all the negative talk to the contrary about Mr. Obadia, I felt he treated me very well and I always thought that he purposefully created a pleasant work environment simply because it's the best way to get the most out of your employees. Perhaps I'm being naive but having worked around the world for the past 30 odd years I think I have a pretty good idea of what constitutes a good airline boss. Or a bad one.

The simple fact that my girlfriend(Cabin Crew) was a shit hot skier as well as a lovely person, added up to nothing less than me having landed the perfect job. I truly was very sorry to have to say goodbye to my job and all my good friends at Nationair, not the least of which was Kent Davidge. there,

So I am left with fond memories of the short time I was able to return and live in Canada, topped off with great memories of a fine human being.

Return to “AvCanada's Wall”