TALES OF A WAYWARD AVIATOR

This forum has been created as an area to share memories of friends, who have passed on, that had a love for flight.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Murph
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Murph »

keep the tales coming
---------- ADS -----------

Fly by night
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fly by night »

Great stories -

Thanks for sharing :)

Sawmill Broad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Return to the present

Post by Sawmill Broad »

I had to copy this letter from another forum to this thread because I was so in awe of it, but also because the thread I had started when Avcanada was down, was lost and even though Duke hasn't written in awhile he is able to read and enjoy your comments! He hasn't much strength to go on these days and this will help, so I am also bumping his original thread with this great tribute:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan. 2, 2005

"Hi Duke! Happy Birthday and Happy New Year!

I have followed this forum since you first told me about it, but this is the first time I have actually submitted a post. Teri and I really enjoyed our visit in May with you and Kathy. It was great catch up on things and share a few pints. I’m sorry to hear you’re not doing as well as when last I saw you. Even though the “Big C” has you firmly in its sights, your attitude and strength during this ordeal is nothing short of a huge inspiration.

Like I have told you, (and everyone on this forum has told you) you make one heck of an author! You always had that particular flare for telling stories, especially (as I remember) over a few pints 'o' Grog in the presence of persons of the gentler persuasion, but I never imagined that reading them would bring them so vividly to life. I have many fond memories of the days you and I crewed DIK and DOG under, at times, not so ideal conditions. Whether it was droning for hours on end up and down the west coast of BC with a load of Pine mushrooms or Crab (remember the sound those little buggers made in their totes? All we could hear was a faint “click, click, click. . . “ as we closed the cockpit door before blasting off into the deep, dark night. Creepy!) I’m still kinda curious, though, as to why your leg on the pine mushroom contracts was always the pristine, clear return trip to Terrace over some of the most breathtaking scenery in British Columbia and my leg was usually the 03:30, IFR leg in pitch black. Rank has its privileges, I guess. ;-) Your tale of the Bomber moon instantly whisked me back to that night. I remember how bloody big our aircraft’s shadow looked skimming across the cloud scape as we cruised at what seemed like just feet above the under cast. Cool man! Or enduring the trials and tribulations of Bronson Creek as the under equipped under-dogs. I would have to say that that was one of the most character building eras of my career. Having to reverse-engineer a DC-3 brake assembly out in the blowing snow as our, in your words, Puss-eyed mutant engineer loudly drank himself into oblivion yet again. Us in the frigid cold and he sitting by the fireplace in the Chalet bragging about how he sewered us. We sure showed him what cunning and perseverance can accomplish. I still remember the image of Cowboy Jim emerging from the swirling snow to give us a hand. What a gentleman! We both learned a lot about team work and overcoming both physical and mental barriers. Although it was tough, looking back on it all, I had a flippin’ ball! Thank you as well for taking the time to tutor me as to the correct amount of water and ice for a really great glass of Scotch. Cheers, mate!

I would like to submit a request to all the others out there who know or who have cross paths with Duke to submit their favorite tale involving him. I would like to think of this as a tribute to one who has shared so much of himself with all of us over the last while and maybe because I know he really doesn’t mind hearing others talk about him. Because I suggested it, I will start things off with some of my memories spent in the presence of The Duke.

I believe it was after we had returned from a crab trip and the Duke and I were feeling a little thirsty. After securing the aircraft for the night and a quick wash to remove some of the smell of work, we headed to The Waddling Dog pub for some refreshment and, as we were both single at the time, perhaps a little female companionship. We wandered in and strategically placed ourselves at the best table available and surveyed our surroundings. We were quite pleased with the “selection”. We chatted about the trip we had just completed and were enjoying our beer when Duke got that look a cat gets when it sees something that triggers its hunting instinct. “Sorry, Mate” he says to me, “you’re on your own.” With this he gets up, walks past me and as he places his drink on a table behind me I hear him say to the fine lady seated there, “Hello, my names Duke. How do you like me so far?” It worked! Present position direct to the final approach fix after only 15 to 20 minutes! What a legend!

Then there was the time I flew my first leg in the left seat of the 3. Duke and I had just dropped of our three bags of gold ore in Wrangell and as there was nothing to haul back we were, on this very rare occasion, headed back to the mine empty. Duke had been talking about up-grading me to Captain for a bit, however I had not yet passed the required exams needed to obtain my Airline Transport License, a requirement here in Canada for anyone want to sit as Pilot in Command of any aircraft requiring two pilots. We took off and completed the necessary checks before settling in to the half hour trip back to the mine. “Hey Rob,” Duke said, “if we’re empty, this would be considered a non-revenue flight, right?”. “Technically, yes.” I responded, not getting why this was important and not understanding the mischievous look on his face. “Good!” he said as he unbuckled his harness. “You take the left seat then!” I didn’t wait to see if he’d suggest it again. We quickly switched places and I settled into the “proper” seat of the airplane. After an uneventful flight and near perfect landing (I guess I was really paying attention) we taxied in and shut down to see the owner of our little operation stareing at the two faces with the proverbial s**t eating grins in the wind shield. Duke for having pulled off yet anther one (the look on Mike’s face was priceless.) and me for having taken the command seat of my first large airplane!

My hat is off to you, Duke. I’m sure I am not the only one who can say that many a fond story will be told about you, your adventures and, adventures shared with you for years to come. Thank you for all I have learned and seen as your co-joe and captain trainee during those days not so long ago.

With much sincerity;
Rob M."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stay tuned for more....

Cheers Duke and Blue Skies!

Sawmill Broad;)

Jetson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jetson »

Just needed to bump this thred to page one. To those out there that know Duke, please add your stories and words of support.

Cheers

With regards to Horsepower;
Lots is good,
More is better and,
Too much is just about right!
Sawmill Broad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Saturday February 5, 2005

Post by Sawmill Broad »

Yesterday, Les was surrounded by his wife Kathy, daughter Anna and Tim, my husband Keith and I, and Les’s very good friend Terry. His daughter Meghan was in Ottawa and spoke to him several times on the phone.

He had already gently slipped into a coma earlier in the day and while asleep was never alone. We talked about Les’ life, how we all came to know him and had a few chuckles. I’m sure he knew we were all there with him. Kathy’s friend Patsy came by and sang a few hymns a capella, one being Amazing Grace. It was just so beautiful and so peaceful.

Les quietly left at 11:15pm with his daughter cradling his head. We are thankful that he is no longer in pain and we will miss him dearly.

Blue skies Duke Elegant, you are a cherished friend.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

He will definately be missed. His stories were loved by everyone that read them.

bigsky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bigsky »

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Godspeed Les

Spinner
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Spinner »

it's a sad time for all of us who were blessed to be able to read and laugh or sympathize with his stories.

we will miss you

Paul

missmaike
Rank 0
Rank 0

[b]Duke Elegant[/b]

Post by missmaike »

The skies will be empty without you
and the tales of an old aviator.

Bank left…pull back on the throttle

I will wave from the shore as you drift off to sea,
brave,
just as I used to stand on the ground and watch you fly overhead,
(assuming every plane was you)
proud.

Visibility out of a Super DC3 is poor unless you bank the generous wing and engine cowl downward

Fire and water fed the child
Oil and water as a teen, we were

Turbulence…

I did not think we could be emulsified.
As adults we grew
together, brave and proud.

Rock solid...40 knots

I remain,

The Duke’s daughter.

Montreal is a long way from Chilliwack, and feels infinitely more so right now. And so I am here, reading his stories again, desperate to hear his voice. I want to thank you all for keeping him alive; over these past couple of years and even now...and hopefully well into the future.

Return to “AvCanada's Wall”