Sunwest

This forum has been created as an area to share memories of friends, who have passed on, that had a love for flight.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Sunwest

Post by slowstream »

I've been busy with some family issues and just found out this morning about the passing of Mr. Harley Hotchkiss this past week.

I would like to extend my condolences the Hotchkiss family and the SWA family who were so kind to me, especially during some difficult times.

With my respect & sympathies

Chris
---------- ADS -----------

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Sunwest

Post by privateer »

Re: Wikipedia
Harley Norman Hotchkiss, CC, AOE (July 12, 1927 – June 22, 2011) was a Canadian business and community leader who was best known for his contributions to health and sports development in Canada. He was one of the original owners that brought the National Hockey League's Atlanta Flames to Calgary in 1980 and remained a team owner until shortly before his death. He served as chairman of the board of the National Hockey League between 1995 and 2007, and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame as a builder in 2006.
A graduate of Michigan State University in 1951 and a geologist by trade, Hotchkiss moved to Calgary in 1951 and began a long career in the oil and gas industry. He served as president of Alcon Petroleum into the 1960s, and started up his own companies, including Sabre Petroleum with long-time business partners Byron and Doc Seaman. His peers remembered him as an "icon" in the industry.[1]
A noted philanthropist, the University of Calgary's Hotchkiss Brain Institute is named in honour of his contributions.[2] He also supported Hockey Canada, investing in the growth of the sport across the country.[3] He was named an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1997, elevated to Companion in 2009, and named to the Alberta Order of Excellence in 1998.[4][5]
In 2009, Harley Hotchkiss along with Paul Grescoe wrote a memoir titled "Hat Trick - A Life in the Hockey Rink, Oil Patch and Community".

JWflightcrew
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Sunwest

Post by JWflightcrew »

A great business man and community leader!

I would like to extend my condolences to the Hotchkiss family and to Sunwest Aviation.

JW

JW

Return to “AvCanada's Wall”