CYTZ/CPZ9 Docking Area

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

CYTZ/CPZ9 Docking Area

Post by xchox »

I think it was LE8 and spafloats who were either asking or discussing CPZ9. Well earlier this week they installed what I believe are 2 new retractable docks? (if that makes sense)

May have to do with that Hamilton/Toronto charter thing. Either way though... Anything is better then the current dock.

And the old one with the ramp:

---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: CYTZ/CPZ9 Docking Area

Post by xchox »

NOTE: I might be completely wrong on what those are... because why would you have cables there which would just hit the leading edges of planes as they came in. LOL

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

They are antennae to detect enemy frogmen riding mini-subs up to the Island with the aim of secretly infiltrating the Porter aircraft.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Acually I have it from good sources that they are in fact antennae to detect frog persons hired by the Edmonton Oilers to infiltrate Maple Leaf Gardens with the intent of stealing the Leafs game plans and coaching secrets and while there put itching powder in the players jock straps. Instead of mini suds, they have put snorkels on Ski-Doos and are going to skidoo down Younge Street. IMHO :lol: :lol:

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
tedcuthbert
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tedcuthbert »

hmmm, I'm trying to imagine what those would be used for. Definitely not the best docks for floatplanes, unless they are just ramps that will go down to a larger floating platform? Hard to imagine them spending that kind of $$ on that facility. Scheduled commercial seaplane ops are not permitted at YTZ. The old dock actually worked ok, though it can only accommodate 1 plane at a time, I was comfortable enough tying up there for a couple hours this past summer to go to a meeting. Can anyone confirm what those new docks are for?

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

This is from the Toronto Port Authority website:

Apart from the pedestrian tunnel, two other major projects are underway; maintenance area
parking reconfiguration and float plane dock replacement. The parking reconfiguration is
located east of the firehalland hanger 6 and is schedule to be complete at the end of May.
The reconfiguration of 200 sq.m. parking area will enhance flexibility for fire hall and maintenance vehicles.
Work includes new pavement area and relocation of a portion of fencing for vehicle
maneuvering.
The float plane dock replacement will see the installation of
two aluminum docks located south of the float plane ramp.
The scope of work is currently being reviewed by NavCanada and is
expected to be completed in August.
There will be no overnight work for both projects.

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

Those cables though...

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

I would hazard a guess that when the docks are completed, they will be left floating during the float plane season and that all the cables you see will be put away until they are winched out again for the winter.

LE8
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LE8 »

So why all of a sudden are they building these after years of having the old one? Is there pressure from new potential air service providers?

spafloats
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by spafloats »

This dock certainly is not in the location that I recommended when they consulted me with their yard people. I also hope that there is a floating section that runs north/south that connects these fingers as it doesn`t look very strong to take an east wind in the harbour.

The ramp also needs repairs and the float cart is a dinosaur.

Spafloats

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The float cart is owned and operated by the FBO, not the Port Authority, n'est pas? I'm a little jaded but merely a new dock is much easier to achieve than joined-up airport operation....

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
spafloats
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by spafloats »

I believe that the floatplane beaching dolly is owned by the TPA and is maintained (if you can call it maintained?) by Trans Capital. The dolly is old, requires jury rigging with boards on the lift pads, requires manual manipulation for width and is antiquated compared to equipment at most other seaplane bases.

When the Eatons operated non-amphibious aircraft aircraft out of CPZ9 they supplied their own dolly because the one the FBO used was inadequate, and I believe the dolly Trans Cap uses today is from that era (i.e. it`s old!).

Go to Orillia, Head Lake, Marina Venise and the beaching equipment is vastly superior.

Spafloats

tedcuthbert
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tedcuthbert »

Has anyone seen the finished set-up yet? Perhaps share a photo? I noticed the dock was NOTAM'd closed last week so assumed they were working on it.

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

Not gonna lie. It looks like they came and started the dock project last year... then funds ran out and were like "@#$! it... no ones going to use them anyways."

I can take pictures tomorrow. Anything in particular you want a shot of?

spafloats
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by spafloats »

The last time I was at CYTZ/CPZ9 on May 1, the new dock was still in a state similar to what it was last December and the ramp was operational (although I didn`t use it, I operated off the runway on amphibs.).

I was contacted by the new airport manager earlier in the spring and the new dock is supposed to be in the process of re-engineering, the shortfalls of its construction and configuration being recognized as clearly deficient.

Current NOTAM shows that the dock is unavailable until May 29.

I live in hope.

Spafloats

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

The docks appear to be in from a far. Looks they are good to go! The NOTAM is gone as well.

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green
chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

A few days ago a smaller cessna on amphibs landed in the bay, then drove up the ramp and taxied to the FBO so I would concur!

spafloats
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by spafloats »

CYTZ Docks 4.jpg
CYTZ Docks 4.jpg (109.07 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
New docks are in and ramp is operational. Not perfect, but a substantial improvement from the previous dock. Some fine tuning to the dock is scheduled in the next week, including dock height and side boards.

NOTAM for new number for PN for operation to from CPZ9 in place: 416 203 6942 Extension 17

Spafloats

N.B. I was the one up (and down) the ramp in the TU206 :). It is in good condition now with all rotten planks replaced.

Attachments
Docs 1.jpg
Docs 1.jpg (93.46 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

spafloats wrote: N.B. I was the one up (and down) the ramp in the TU206 :). It is in good condition now with all rotten planks replaced.
Nice! We passed a mile or so behind you for 26 as you touched down on the water - such a cool spot.

tedcuthbert
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tedcuthbert »

Thanks for posting those photo's Paul. Agreed, it's not an ideal set-up, fixed pipe docks just aren't float friendly, even with those side boards they are putting on. Still, good to see they are committed to keeping that airport float accessible. And they finally updated the PNR call-in number, no more talking to the irritated security guard who didn't know wtf I was calling about..."you want to land IN the harbour, not on the runway?? Why?"

Return to “General Comments”