First flight will new PPL! And first abnormality in flight

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: First flight will new PPL! And first abnormality in flig

Post by Cat Driver »

He's trying to usurp the dearly departed Colonel.
Yeh, that is what I always wanted to do, now he is gone I'll have to work on it.

One of the least taught and understood methods of situational awareness is using peripheral vision.

Somewhere back in time someone decided that scanning the instruments sounded like a great idea and from that inspiration came the " Instrument scan " concept of using instruments as a partial or complete means for maintaining or changing the flight path of an airplane.

Scanning means there is a temporary halt in the picture the eye is transmitting to the brain as you stop at each instrument and thus information and reaction to the information is chopped up into separate bites of the picture.

I was taught to " See " the flight instruments as a package and operate the flight controls as needed to point the airplane where I want it to go.

For instance.....you are chugging along straight and level at 1000 feet VFR looking outside of the cockpit for situational awareness......the instrument you most rely on the maintain 1000 feet is the altimeter.....you do not need to look down at the altimeter to confirm the needle is at or near zero because you should be able to see it in your peripheral vision.

At least that is how I was taught and that is how I do it ...and how I teach it..

...and it works just fine for me and the students I taught.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Maybe my ideas on how to fly are ancient because some of my early lessons and the aids to flying were a bit primitive, for instance flying the airways was done by sound alone.

But as time passed I did learn some modern methods to navigate such as RNS in the last machine I was in.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Ben
Congrats on the new PPL! Ignore the hissing and spitting. Some can't comment on anything without a slap fight breaking out. LOL!
Anyway, enjoy your new found freedom. Play safe.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
.Ben
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by .Ben »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:Ben
Congrats on the new PPL! Ignore the hissing and spitting. Some can't comment on anything without a slap fight breaking out. LOL!
Anyway, enjoy your new found freedom. Play safe.
Illya

I've been reading this forum for a long time, it would not be any fun if everyone agreed on everyone and no one had anything to point out or say

Bring back the Colonel!

An AME was consulted and everything was found to be functioning normally, I still think moisture/ice was to blame.

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

Not much else it could be. In a vfr light trainer, nbd. Good thing to remember happening down the road when you start thinking ifr tho.

aviate_77
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aviate_77 »

Are you guys kidding me? this poor kid completes his first little adventure as a private pilot, and vets are giving him shit for monitoring his airspeed a "bit much". It's always about what guys do wrong...

I say, kudos to you kid for monitoring the situation, not freaking out and flying the bird back to safety.

Good Job, congrats on the license.

Return to “General Comments”