D O E :

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

D O E :

Post by Cat Driver »

Anyone have any idea how those " depending on experience " adds for float plane pilots works?

Does it mean that low time pilots will be paid less because they are not capable of flying within legal weather and airplane all up weights?

Therefore the employer has to train them so they can safely fly all the trips for a given day?

Who fly's a trip if the low time pilot can't?
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: D O E :

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

It's an obvious ploy to pay as little as they can, using the low time pilot syndrome as their reasoning.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Of course that is the obvious reason.

How many truck companies have sliding pay rates based on how many miles a driver has driven?

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

From the Labour Board website.

The average truck driver is expected to travel between 2,000 and 3,000 miles per week, based on the 70 hour maximum hour restriction over eight days. Drivers that are just starting out can expect to see starting wages. Median wages for rookie truck drivers are between $0.27 and $0.29 per mile. Increases are given once a driver proves themselves and gets in some time with the company.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

I don't know of any job where no experience gives you the same wage as those with lots of experience.

Low time means higher insurance and, yes, missed trips. Operators need to factor that in.

That said, you pay your pilots peanuts and you're going to get monkeys.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

So a truck driver with no or very little experience will make between $2160.00 to $3480.00 a month.

What do they pay new float plane pilots today?
Low time means higher insurance and, yes, missed trips. Operators need to factor that in.
I do not recall having to pay extra insurance rates for low time pilots when I owned float plane companies, all I had to do was inform the insurance companies that the pilot was competent for the flying to be done......if the pilot was not competent I would not hire them.

Why would there be missed trips?

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

The operator I worked for up north had to pay more insurance (plus a 6 grand premium)because I only had 30 hours on floats.

Also I couldn't fly canoes( or moose racks :))until I had 50 hours floats on the company plane. Sounds like different operators have different arrangements with their insurance companies.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Johnny#5 wrote:The operator I worked for up north had to pay more insurance (plus a 6 grand premium)because I only had 30 hours on floats.

Also I couldn't fly canoes( or moose racks :))until I had 50 hours floats on the company plane. Sounds like different operators have different arrangements with their insurance companies.
That also wasn't a century ago. :wink:

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

There is a piece of legislation in this country that calls for equal pay for equal work. I'm sure a premium for time served would be allowed to slide, but if your pilots all started the same time, with the same company, on the same equipment, they would all be getting the same pay. Some of these dip shitz should really learn to read.
Illya

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:There is a piece of legislation in this country that calls for equal pay for equal work.
Illya
Can you find that for me?

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Rowdy wrote:
Illya Kuryakin wrote:There is a piece of legislation in this country that calls for equal pay for equal work.
Illya
It's usually aimed at women, but I'm sure it applies. Otherwise it'd be sexist. And we just can't have that in our PC society.
Illya

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Rowdy wrote:
Illya
Equal Pay for Equal Work | Ministry of Labour
www.labour.gov.on.ca › ... › Employment Standards › Publications › Guide
Nov 21, 2014 - This chapter of the Guide provides information on equal pay for equal work under the Employment Standards Act, 2000.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Excellent! Had a good read through. It applies to all!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

That also wasn't a century ago. :wink:
If it has become more restrictive to insure pilots in the last ten years, the length of time I have been out of commercial aviation is that a move that makes aviation a better occupation?

As to my starting this discussion it was curiosity about why many pilots will accept any offer just to fly airplanes.

At the small airplane operator level with float planes the job is not that difficult to learn therefore the starting wage should not be significantly different from what a more experienced pilot is paid, unless of course the company has a lower charter rate for the airplane when flown by a low time pilot.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Well my good Cat, new pilots have been brainwashed into thinking this is a good industry. Many would sell their mothers for the holy grail that is the almighty airplane! Most are so enamoured by the pure bullshit, they are willing to upfront many thousands of their father's hard earned savings, just to grip the control wheel of a mighty 180! Or, in most cases, the right seat meat position in some clapped out POS that is the TURBINE POWERED TWIN! Such dreams are in COLOUR! Survive a season, and move up to the Beaver! They've become gods indeed to have reached such a lofty perch.
Illya

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Cat: is a newly minted CPL with 30 hours on floats safe to fly around here in 1 mile viz with a 600ft ceiling in mist?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Cat: is a newly minted CPL with 30 hours on floats safe to fly around here in 1 mile viz with a 600ft ceiling in mist?
I was not aware the CAR's had been changed.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Back to pay when first starting a new flying job.

My first job flying was spraying tobacco in Southern Ontario and I was paid the same as the rest of the pilots....we were paid by acreage done.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Cat Driver wrote:
I was not aware the CAR's had been changed.
I never mentioned the CARs, or legality. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you understand the point I was trying to make.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Would a lot of this whole D.O.E debate not come down to retention? If a company wants to keep a guy with more experience, they will have to pay him more. Like wise, to attract a guy with more experience, have some sort of incentive to make him sign up in the first place.

I'm waiting for the thread about how the latest "Ag Pilot" posting which advertises that pay is dependent on acres sprayed to materialize. Which we all know is similar to mileage, therefore they must be affiliated with the Viet Cong and clearly practice unsafe aviation management... :roll:

Last edited by PointyEngine on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Comments”