New Canadian aircraft

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

New Canadian aircraft

Post by bmc »

---------- ADS -----------

bmc
glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Canadian aircraft

Post by glorifieddriver »

bmc wrote:Interesting design

http://www.horizonaircraft.com

Interesting looks like a big version of ICON A5. But none the less cool share. Thanks.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Certainly a very intriguing aircraft. It's in a league all its own with the size and power, but that's a good thing, as long as the market is there.

It embodies nearly all the qualities which one could ask for in an amphibian. The flying boat will safely handle bigger water with confidence. The prop is safe out of harm's way and spray. It'll be reversing, so huge improvement in water maneuverability. I hope that they choose an MT propeller, with the nickle leading edges - unbeatable for durability!

The only aspect I'm not keen on is it's apparent tricycle configuration. Amphibious flying boats should be taildraggers. This leaves the forward hull free of any discontinuities which interfere with water operations - step turns. Tricycles are much less good for beaching, as power just drives the nosewheel in to what could be a soft or otherwise damaging surface. Taildragger also assures that the main wheels can be extended to act as rugged bumpers should mooring against a sloped (rock) shore surface be desired. If you're going to all the effort and expense of an amphibian, it may as well have the best back country utility and durability as possible.....

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

PilotDAR wrote: The only aspect I'm not keen on is it's apparent tricycle configuration. Amphibious flying boats should be taildraggers. This leaves the forward hull free of any discontinuities which interfere with water operations - step turns. Tricycles are much less good for beaching, as power just drives the nosewheel in to what could be a soft or otherwise damaging surface. Taildragger also assures that the main wheels can be extended to act as rugged bumpers should mooring against a sloped (rock) shore surface be desired. If you're going to all the effort and expense of an amphibian, it may as well have the best back country utility and durability as possible.....
I absolutely agree. However when you look at the design, even a taildragger type would not work as the side pontoons are offset rear, so the wheels would not allow you to have that bumper you speak of.

Return to “General Comments”