Accidents.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Accidents.

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

When a pilot has an accident in Canada who determines if it was pilot error?
---------- ADS -----------

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
cory_trevor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Accidents.

Post by cory_trevor »

The pilot.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Initially? The AvCanada peanut gallery.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

TSB determines the cause and contributing factors.

Going for the deck at corner
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

"Pilot Error" is no longer a term used in accident investigation

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

O.K., so what term is now in use if the accident was caused by pilot error?

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

CBC, CNN....

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

I wonder if it was the weathers fault ac crashed in halifax?

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

. . wrote:
O.K., so what term is now in use if the accident was caused by pilot error?
Tons of different terms, for tons of different situations.
Saying it simply was "pilot error" was not very useful, as pretty much all accidents involve pilot errors.

What's your point?

Think ahead or fall behind!
Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

What's your point?
Well my point is looking at it from the viewpoint of an owner of a commercial air service lets suppose we have the following problem.

Two pilots flying a two crew airplane approved as two crew by TC land with the gear up.

Who makes the decision as to who was responsible for the accident?

If it is not pilot error what is it, a learning experience?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

. . wrote:
Well my point is looking at it from the viewpoint of an owner of a commercial air service lets suppose we have the following problem.

Two pilots flying a two crew airplane approved as two crew by TC land with the gear up.

Who makes the decision as to who was responsible for the accident?

Well, my first question would be: what are the SOPs, and did the pilots follow them?

Gorgons
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gorgons »

Well I would think if it was a two crew aircraft with SOP's and you geared one up after following the SOP to the letter you have a really flawed SOP.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

. . wrote:

Since you are, as usual, trolling for a rise how about this.

It is absolutely a learning experience........for the operator.

Pay peanuts, use the bond to make money off your employees, constantly verbally abuse the staff, set terrible schedules........and you get minimum experience, bottom of the barrel candidates who do stupid stuff :smt040

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

. . wrote: If it is not pilot error what is it, a learning experience?
It is indeed pilot error... for the pilots involved. For everyone else, why not make it a learning experience?

Think ahead or fall behind!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

2 crew flight decks operate as a team. It would be both of their faults, not just one or the other. I think the guys would already know they F'ed up, does calling it pilot error really change anything? A hull insurance claim is a hull insurance claim. And if somebody was hurt, well that's the liability insurance. WCB protects the pilots from being sued if someone is hurt or worse, unless it was deemed gross negligence. Don't quote me on all of this, my memory is getting a little foggy with age, but I seem to recall this is how it plays out.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

It depends on the context. Pilot error is determined by the TSB officially from an airworthiness perspective, from the operator for his/her purposes and by the insurance companies for their purposes. And of course the media and the AvCanada peanut gallery for their purposes.

The term "pilot error" is generally not used in TSB reports because it's more of a summary statement. The TSB reports tend to use much more specific language. Like " the pilot failed to maintain control" or "the pilot willfully and intentionally steered the aircraft into the mountain".

The term is however used by the TSB when they classify different types of causes in general terms.

"Pilot error" is somewhat broad. Organizational or cultural break-downs can result in a pilot-error related accident. So can a breakdown in CRM which is a team failure.

habs.fan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by habs.fan »

For a gear-up landing it will likely come out as "failure to adhere to company SOPs during the approach phase," which is exactly what it is. Why they didn't adhere to the SOPs will likely be due to insufficient recurrent training, poor oversight of training or failure to adhere to the company's training program. At the end of the day, the company will be faced with unreasonable amounts of paperwork that will leave the chief pilot and ops manager scratching their heads and wondering why they ever got in to this stupid business.

GARRETT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GARRETT »

habs.fan wrote:For a gear-up landing it will likely come out as "failure to adhere to company SOPs during the approach phase," which is exactly what it is. Why they didn't adhere to the SOPs will likely be due to insufficient recurrent training, poor oversight of training or failure to adhere to the company's training program. At the end of the day, the company will be faced with unreasonable amounts of paperwork that will leave the chief pilot and ops manager scratching their heads and wondering why they ever got in to this stupid business.
Great post! I 100% agree!

armchair
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by armchair »

Before the Dubin's, Moshansky's, Shappell's, Reason's and Dekker's of this world turned the investigation causal factors terminology around, in a mix of human factors vs political correctness vs modernism vs liability, accident cause factors involving pilot error would be easier to nail, and would usually read the old military report way: 1. Personnel - pilot - technique: pilot was unable to handle the crosswind and let aircraft dip below minima blah blah 2. Personnel - Pilot - Judgment: pilot decided to attempt landing in poor visibility after 30 minutes of holding and did not want to divert to alternate. 3. Personnel - - Pilot - Pressure : Pilot somewhat left him/herself pressured to complete mission due to unknown blah blah. Now the TSB and NTSB have to be a lot more creative in their formulation to blame pilots. But they still do.

black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by black hole »

How about: distracted flying?

BH

Return to “General Comments”