IFR Validity Change - No more checkrides

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

IFR Validity Change - No more checkrides

Post by gwengler »

I have heard that sometime soon (???), Transport Canada will change the IFR validity to basically match the FAA regulations. That would mean basically and abbreviated your IR will never expire AS LONG as you are current, i.e. no more IFR checkrides. For the FAA you are current as long as you follow the 6-6-6 rule (TC has the same) plus do an intercept and hold every 6 months.

Anyone knows any more details, i.e. when will this happen?

Gerd
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: IFR Validity Change - No more checkrides

Post by photofly »

This change has been "about to happen" for about six years. And you've misunderstood it.

You will still need a checkride every 24 months - it just won't be with an examiner, it will be with a TC-approved check pilot. Most people will probably use the same examiner who will also be appointed a check pilot, and will probably pay him or her the same fee. You can read all the proposed new CAR wordings if you look online.

The only practical difference is that if you fail the ride, your IR isn't revoked. It just doesn't count as a renewal.

There's nothing to get excited about.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Well, I heard it directly from a long time TC inspector and someone high up in the development of the new 604 regs that a non expiring IFR is imminent, ie no check ride as long as you stay current. As you say, though, this is "imminent" as understood by TC. Maybe he just meant for 604, but I don't think so.

gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gwengler »

photofly wrote:You can read all the proposed new CAR wordings if you look online.
Can you point me to the proposed new wording?

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

First off the proposed change was that instead of a ride every 2 years, a pilot could do some training with an IFR qualified flight instructor and that would renew your rating.

What I have heard the exact opposite of what Wallypilot posted. It was quote TC is no longer actively pursuing this initiative unquote.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:It was quote TC is no longer actively pursuing this initiative unquote.
I'm surprised. Usually whenever there's an opportunity to lower the bar and make it less work to get or retain a license, Transport Canada is all over it.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/N ... 1&lang=eng

My emphasis.
New Text (no revision marks):
Recency Requirements
(3.1) No holder of a licence endorsed with an instrument rating and no holder of a multi-crew pilot licence shall exercise the privileges of the licence under IFR in accordance with Part VI, Subpart 2, Division VII unless the holder has,
a) within 24 months preceding the flight, successfully completed in an aircraft or in an approved Flight Simulation Training Device of the same category of aircraft one of the following:

(i) an instrument rating flight test in accordance with the Flight Test Standards – Instrument Rating (TP 9939E);

(ii) a IFR pilot proficiency check, in accordance with subpart 604 or Part 7,
NOTE: once the coming State Operator Regulations are in place, the equivalent of a PPC under those rules would also satisfy this requirement.

(iii) an instrument proficiency check, in accordance with section 421.05 of Standard 421 – Flight Crew Permits, Licences and Ratings,

(iv) a Canadian Forces Instrument Rating flight test,

(v) a Line Operational Evaluation (LOE) from an approved Advanced Qualification Program, or

(vi) a pilot training and proficiency certification program, in accordance with section 604.03.
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/N ... 1&lang=eng
New Text:
Recency Requirements
(1) & (2)

(xx) In order to comply with the requirements associated with an Instrument Rating, an Instrument Proficiency Check shall:
(a) consist of tasks representative of those required by Sections 1 to 4 of Schedule 8(5) of Section 428 of the Personnel Licensing and Training Standards – Conduct of Flight Tests;
(b) be carried out in:
i) an aircraft of the same group pursuant to subsection 421.46(1) meeting the requirements of section 605.18; or
ii) a flight simulation training device (FSTD) that is approved for instrument flight testing; and
(c) be conducted by any of the following persons that hold a valid instrument rating for the same group of aircraft pursuant to subsection 421.46(1):
i) any qualified Canadian Pilot Examiner;
ii) a person appointed by the holder of a flight training unit operator certificate in accordance with Subpart 406;
iii) a Canadian Approved Check Pilot authorized for the specific type of aircraft on which the Instrument Proficiency Check is conducted;
iv) a person who holds an authorization equivalent to a Canadian pilot examiner or approved check pilot from a Contracting state having a reciprocal licensing agreement with Canada;
v) a Canadian Forces Instrument Check Pilot, provided that the person being tested is a member of the Canadian Forces.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

The above NPA was introduced in 2009. It has essentialy gone nowhere in 6 years and my understanding is it, and several other NPA's related to personal licensing and flight training, are not being actively pursued by TC.

I am happy to be corrected though.

gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gwengler »

This is straight from Transport Canada as of this morning (I had successfully applied for an extension): "Not sure if you heard but instrument ratings no longer expire anyway. We are just getting to advise everyone so there will be lots of changes to our processes in the near future. While we are in a transition period you should keep the temp with you anyway. You can expect a new licence label in the future to include an instrument rating but with no expiry. Once your IFR flight test is done, the PE will sign the competency page in your booklet.

More to come...re currency requirements etc."

Kapitanov
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Kapitanov »

So... What do I do if my IFR is supposed to expire on May 1st? Do I still have to do a checkride ($$$) or my IFR won't expire May 1st with the new regulation to come? Because I don't want to pay for a checkride if I don't need to!! :rolleyes:

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

I believe You still need to meet the 6, 6, 6 recent requirements in order to have a valid rating, otherwise you will still need to do a ride

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Kapitanov wrote:So... What do I do if my IFR is supposed to expire on May 1st? Do I still have to do a checkride ($$$) or my IFR won't expire May 1st with the new regulation to come? Because I don't want to pay for a checkride if I don't need to!! :rolleyes:
Then it expires May 1 and you'll need a checkride before that date.

I got a new sticker last week, still showing a September expiry for the rating.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Are they gonna send an information letter to all IFR license holders by mail or e-mail soon?

gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gwengler »

I asked my TC contact "So, as far as you know, I do have to have an IFR check ride with an examiner before the stated expiry on my extension?". The answer I received yesterday was "Yes – a flight test is still required every two years (IFR/PPC or IPC). Once complete the examiner will annotate page 13 in your ADB, but TC will no longer “renew” your licence label. There are also same currency provisions as before, ie 13th month after an IPC you need to have done 6 hours, including 6 approaches in last 6 months. So essentially you will still have to do something every two years, keep current, but it can be a bit more informal such as an IPC."

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:First off the proposed change was that instead of a ride every 2 years, a pilot could do some training with an IFR qualified flight instructor and that would renew your rating.

What I have heard the exact opposite of what Wallypilot posted. It was quote TC is no longer actively pursuing this initiative unquote.
Who did you hear this from? What I posted I heard directly from a TC inspector. But it would not surprise me one bit if something said by a TC guy was in fact not in line with general TC thinking.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

I got a new sticker this week, it has a 2017 expiry date on the instrument rating.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

goldeneagle wrote:I got a new sticker this week, it has a 2017 expiry date on the instrument rating.
Nobody is saying it has already been changed...what I have been told is that rule changes were imminent. This was about a month ago.

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

Thank God! Sounds like a better system to live with.

"I need a time machine"
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Just got this today from our inspector.
Effective immediately the Canadian Instrument Rating does not expire. All of CAR 421.49 Instrument Rating Renewal is not applicable. Please disregard CAR 421.49. In addition to exercise the privileges of a Canadian Instrument Rating the pilot must now meet the conditions of the Exemption.

Everyone who has or has had an instrument rating will be issued a new label that does not have an expiry date. It will be the individual pilot’s responsibility to meet the currency requirements in the attached documents, have their booklet signed and to keep proof of this currency.
Look for your new SASLs in the mail. It will be something similar to a sticker. :wink:

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Cadismack
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cadismack »

I wonder what this means to those (like myself) whose license has lapsed for more than 2 years? IE as far as I understand, under the old rules, I would need to rewrite the INRAT and then take the flight test.

Because I 'previously held' an IFR, can I just do the flight test now?

Return to “General Comments”