How many shares are too many in a plane?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

How many partners are too many?

30%
11%
9%
17%
13%
4%
2%
2%
2%
No votes
11-15
No votes
16-19
No votes
20-50
No votes
100 obviously
No votes
You can never have too many.
9%

Total votes: 46

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: How many shares are too many in a plane?

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I was in two 4 person partnerships. We essentially never had a scheduling conflict. What we did have was conflicts over the cost of maintenance, division of costs, and paying for upgrades. These conflicts made me leave the partnership. I am now in a 2 person partnership with a carefully chosen partner. We have had a mutually beneficial and hassle free partnership for over 10 years.

Without the 50 % reduction in fixed costs I could not justify the financial outlay.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I was invited to be in several partnerships decades back, and I considered it. But I chose to buy just a 150, modest and slow, but I could afford it, and have never looked back at the cost. I have never regretted that choice. I have always had a plane at my disposal, and I always knew how it was flown last. I invested in it when I could, and just flew it with economy, when times were more lean.

Being the owner of two planes, neither of which is capable of a 100MPH cruise, I had mused for a while of creating a partnership for people who own slow planes, so occasionally they would have a fast one to fly on a longer trip. Knowing that all partners owned slow planes already, there need be no scheduling conflicts, as they at least have something to fly! I never put any inertia into the idea though.

I have had the use of a 182RG, since I ferried it back from California for its present owner, two years ago. Yet I have yet to take the time to fly down to YKZ to borrow it! I guess I don't need to go that fast after all!

So, it boils down to zero partners preferred, for me....

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

There is an excellent multi partner plane in Okotoks. Unfortunately it's a 152.
CpnCrunch wrote:
Pop n Fresh wrote:Waaa.
I think you just need to quit whining and actually do something about it :)

Three Hills flying club has a fly-in on the first sat of the month (today), and Olds Didsbury has one on the second sat (next week). You can just drive there and get free coffee and treats, talk about flying, and see lots of interesting planes. Also both clubs have cheap planes you can rent without most the hassle of FTUs.
Quit whining? Unpossible!

Would you like a ride to Olds next meeting? I'll bring my own juice or whatever.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Pop n Fresh wrote: Would you like a ride to Olds next meeting? I'll bring my own juice or whatever.
I would, except I live on Vancouver Island now so it's a bit far to go. The $1.299 100LL at their flyins is tempting though.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Hmmm, pick me up at Airdrie? I'll give you $50 and a sealed juice of your own.

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

You guys have the potential to have so much fun. Pop n fresh, just buy a plane. If it's too much money, or you don't like it, you can get divorced. I mean sell it! Or get a partner after the fact. But better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. The bank will give you the money. They really don't care what it's for as long as you stay in debt.

I have two partners. Me, as well as my self and I. I really can't afford it. But as a friend of mine once said, in my youth I spent half my money on booze, girls, and planes. The rest was wasted.

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

Zero. Who needs friends if you have a plane?

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Meddler wrote:Zero. Who needs friends if you have a plane?
So true! I'm surprised how many people come out of the woodwork when they heard I bought a plane and I'm not even done my PPL yet....

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

Oh ya. There are those people too.

On a side note, someone should figure out what plane is the most effective chick magnet. (Within a reasonable budget of course, I'm pretty sure a G6 would win otherwise)

Return to “General Comments”