Ontario airport adventures discussion.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Ahmaxpower
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ontario airport adventures discussion.

Post by Ahmaxpower »

Hey everyone.

Id like to create a healthy discussion about places to go in a light aircraft in Ontario. For a time builder or a weekend flyer or whoever.

Where in ONTARIO have you been that you would suggest someone to "check out"? i.e airport(layout, approaches), local scenery, favorite restaurant, pilot shops, favorite FBO, local attractions near airport, etc.

Where is you Favorite place to fly in ONTARIO?
---------- ADS -----------

PropToFeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Ontario airport adventures discussion.

Post by PropToFeather »

Toronto City Centre is hard to beat for the "city" scenery, or for the learning factor of "how to not hit a smokestack/windmill on final". St. Catharines is pretty decent if you also get a Niagra Falls tour in (make sure you read the CFS if you don't want to terrify people/end up on the news). Sudbury has some pretty exciting terrain around the airport - no mountains to speak of, but some pretty interesting lakes and hills compared to the flatlands of the east and south. The north Algonquin park is pretty scenic, so long as you accept that you're going in the trees or in the water if you're going down.

For something smaller, Stanhope (west of Bancroft) was a pretty quaint strip that was kind of fun to fly to, and Lindsay can't be beat for their butter tart cuisine.

If at first you don't succeed, maybe NDB approaches just aren't for you
Hiflyer2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hiflyer2 »

Most definitely Killarney for Fish and Chips!!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Hamilton and the one in Ottawa, for the aviation museums? I got a tiny thrill walking around a hangar full of planes knowing I was going to fly away in the one parked on the ramp outside.

Brantford, so you can spend (even more) money at Aircraft Spruce.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

The National Aviation Museum is at Rockcliffe, although I have no idea if you can park on the museum side of the airport or not. If not there is a walking path that goes around the airport and past the museum if you also want some exercise.

Call Vintage Wings to schedule a tour at Gatineau. It sounded like the weekend tours normally happened, going during the week depended on demand and a volunteer being available. Perhaps 200m from the airport terminal.

Classic Wings at Smiths Falls-Montague is a private collection, but it sounds like if they are around they are happy to have visitors come by. E-mail and see if they will be around. They have a bit of everything (L-39 and Harvard to a Citabria, Pitts Special, and ultralight). I think they have a pancake breakfast in June sometime as well..

If you want to drag along a non-pilot, or do something non-aviation related, get a car or figure out the transit system and you can visit a bunch of national museums in the Ottawa area if it is your thing. Hike or bike in the Gatineau Hills, or just follow the trail system in Ottawa that goes past Rockcliffe. Visit parliament (Canada Day?) or see a performance at the National Arts Center. Lots more to do in Ottawa depending on your interests.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Tobermoray, although (or because?) the crosswind over the trees beside the strip make landings interesting. Spectacular scenery, do a low flight in the area.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

+1 For Fish & Chips in Killarney - it's hands down a "must-do" for an Ontario PPL.

I'd also vote for an overnight to Sault Ste. Marie. Stay at the Watertower Inn and visit the Bush Plane Heritage Museum. You could do a round trip in a day, but it would be a long day and the Inn, has decent pilot rates and an airport shuttle I think.

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

Anywhere west or north of White River

LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

LousyFisherman wrote:Anywhere west or north of White River

LF
+1

Especially in the fall. As an Albertan to who fall usually means yellow and brown, you read about it, but its hard to appreciate until you see it. All those pristine little lakes, and most of the country isn't tore up by pipelines, lease sites and cut blocks. Its amazing also how you can tell where the Manitoba border is. All that rocky land turns to swamp and clear little lakes become mosquito breeding slough holes.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by boogs82 »

Goderich and Kincardine were part of my solo cross country. Great places to visit and the scenery is beautiful.

If you want a challenging landing go to Coniston (just on the outskirt and part of Sudbury).

Rockcliffe and Gatineau were great places as well.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Depending on aircraft type...Bancroft is interesting to see. Just try a different one for each trip. I have been to most of the paved ones except the far northwest, lots of variety.

Ahmaxpower
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ahmaxpower »

Do they have Fish and chips at the airport in Killarney? or is it in town?

eggy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eggy »

Ahmaxpower wrote:Do they have Fish and chips at the airport in Killarney? or is it in town?
It's in town. If you call the restaurant (Herbert Fisheries) they will come and pick you up. It is walkable, though.

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

No one mentioned anything in North Western Ontario...wish our local operators would read this. ....we could use some destinations up here. You in Southern Ontario have it good...;-)

RunwayWindAltimer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RunwayWindAltimer »

I highly recommend Pelee Island in the summer. Stay at least 24 hrs, there are a bunch of great bed and breakfast operations, the owners of which will usually pick you up from and drive you to the airport. Same latitude as Northern Cali, the weather is great, the wine is better and the people are very friendly.

Return to “General Comments”