One year of being an owner

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: One year of being an owner

Post by co-joe »

I drive, is there not some sort of tent/ herman nelson combination that would allow winter maintenance to be warm enough to attract an AME?
---------- ADS -----------

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

Stories like these always make me run over to TAP or Controller and see what things cost these days. I think motorcycles are the only desire I have that come close to wanting my own airplane (and I went cold turkey on motorcycles to fund my airplane habit :supz: )
Cadismack wrote:Although renting isn't really an option for me, the utility of owning has been the most valuable. Family is an 18 hour drive away and airline options cost at least 500/person for a round trip. Fuel only is about 1.5 Wj tickets. With the four of us (granted we only need to purchase 3 tickets for now) I not only feel justified and vindicated when I fly, but it keeps the passion for flying alive and keeps us connected with family. 16 GPH makes it hard to justify the trips around the patch, but the 170+kts means to door to door times to see family compete or are better than with the airlines and always puts a huge smile on my face.
It's the same story for me. The fiance and I live north of Toronto, her family is in Thunder Bay, and mine is in Ottawa (with a cottage near Maniwaki that we spend almost no time at because it's a 6-7 hour drive). A plane would open up a whole world of things we could do. A weekend in T-Bay is worth $250-400/person for the flight, parking at Pearson, the headache of the drive into the city... Ottawa is more manageable but when you have to battle Toronto rush hour to get there is just kills the joy.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

A 50 minute flight to the cottage vs a 4 hour drive is hard to beat :wink:

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

Chris M wrote:Stories like these always make me run over to TAP or Controller and see what things cost these days. I think motorcycles are the only desire I have that come close to wanting my own airplane (and I went cold turkey on motorcycles to fund my airplane habit :supz: )
I haven't been on the bike in the last coupe years since I got back in to flying more seriously. One of these winters I'll actually fix it up and get it back on the road.
photofly wrote:A 50 minute flight to the cottage vs a 4 hour drive is hard to beat :wink:
As long as the weather is good that part is great. Last summer my girlfriend and I spent the weekend in Nelson. 16 hour drive, 3 hours by Cherokee. It definitely wouldn't have happened without the airplane. The airplane makes lunch anywhere in the province a day trip from Prince George.

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Yellow 'planes rule:

[img]
DSC01949 small.jpg
DSC01949 small.jpg (112.96 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
[/img]

Justjohn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Justjohn »

CYCO!

Flying is better than walking. Walking is better than running. Running is better than crawling. All of these however, are better than extraction by a Med-Evac, even if this is technically a form of flying.
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

NunavutPA-12 wrote:Yellow 'planes rule:

[img]
DSC01949%20small.jpg
[/img]
Oh, wow, I was just admiring that thing today! Beautiful bird. :)

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Thanks.

Have you ever noticed how things (and people!) look better in a photo than "in person"?

Shiny - are you flying one of the caribou survey 'planes that have been here for a few days?

Here's what I counted at YCO last Friday (5th) morning, all on the ramp at the same time:

one A-Star
one C206
two C208
one PC-6
one Piper Malibu (I think)
one King Air
one Twin Otter
one 737
one ATR-72

plus my two makes 12. Pretty busy little airport, for a while at least.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Yup, the only silly piston plane of the bunch. Was a neat trip, hadn't been to YCO before.

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

NunavutPA-12 wrote:Thanks.
Have you ever noticed how things (and people!) look better in a photo than "in person"?
I don't know, it looked pretty sweet to me when you flew over me at 500' just south of the falls a couple of years ago :)
I'm not a big fan of pics

LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

BTW, them look like some pretty sweet skis you have on that. How do you like them?

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Shiny Side Up wrote:BTW, them look like some pretty sweet skis you have on that. How do you like them?
They are Datum wheel-skis, made in Quebec. Experimental only, but they work very well, at least after I did some "tweaking' of the cables. Also I'll have to cut a bit off the bottoms this summer as there's not enough clearance to the tires. The electric screw-jack system makes them much easier to change over than hydraulic skis, and you save the weight of the pump and hoses.

Return to “General Comments”