Sound leadership at HawkAir

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Girl17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sound leadership at HawkAir

Post by Girl17 »

I just think someone should give a shout-out to Hawk Air. Their C.E.O, Mr. Jay Dilley, could be running Hewlett-Packard, or LuLu Lemon, yet he chooses to remain in the trenches leading this little airline into the future.

I think we should all watch this 23-minute-long video in which he presents some key leadership wisdom. I know a lot of pilots who consider some of their peers or chief pilots to be great leaders because they possess technical skill, they lead by example, they demonstrate integrity when it counts, they put their employees first, etc. This is all a misconception. Watch this video and let the president of Hawk Air show us that real leadership starts with motivated self-interest, and the ability to always land on one's feet.

https://youtu.be/jH4qTu3_9u8
---------- ADS -----------

Canuck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Sound leadership at HawkAir

Post by Canuck »

Hewlett-Packard or Lululemon??

Guaranteed this post was made by Jay himself. Completely his style.

Never came across a more greasy cheeseball in this industry than this one.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Regardless of what Canuck thinks of Dilley personally, I thought the video was 23 well-spent minutes listening to his presentation- lots of good take-away points.

It is great that a small airline, like Hawkair, was able to attract this calibre of leadership talent and that he is trying to make meaningful changes to the way a small airline develops its people. This type of development has usually been limited to larger companies.

It will be interesting to watch where the company goes over the next few years. Thanks for posting, girl17.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

The sense I got from girl17 was her post was dripping with sarcasm, but darned if I can tell if PanamaJ was being sarcastic or not..
As to the actual video...??????
I guess maybe if I actually knew what a shout out m :shock: eant.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

Im not sure either....mental note: dripping with sarcasm doesnt do it. Must be at least swimming or drowning.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Nothing like gargling with sarcasm once in a while I say....are they still tied to Bar XH?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I thought that they were part of that unholy trinity from the Terrace/Smithers area....

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Canuck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canuck »

Rehearsed speeches, big words and canned punchlines don't make it real either.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I've listened to that kind of garbage before. It's all a bunch of white noise designed to bilk less erudite but infinitely more worthy people into pretending they understand WTF he's talking about lest they should appear unschooled. This kind of claptrap is usually spewed forth in order to camouflage a deep lack of understanding about what constitutes actual "leadership", which is pretty easy to understand for anyone with enough depth of character to grasp what the word means.

What I see here is a possible sociopath who's managed to pull the wool over enough peoples' eyes that he's risen to the top of his own little world without ever contributing anything meaningful to it or having created anything of his own. He probably doesn't understand that his employees, or his employers for that matter, are actual human beings who exist outside of the corporate scheme. Parasites like this are the cancer that's eating good honest industry and amassing personal wealth and status on the value that other people bring to an organization.

Of course, I've never heard of this particular guy, I'm just speculating based on the same mealy-mouthed shit I've heard coming out of other so-called "people".

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
parallel60
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by parallel60 »

Meatservo,

Hit the nail right on the head.

Return to “General Comments”