False ELT

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

False ELT

Post by PilotDAR »

Well this is embarrassing! A firm knock on the door at 3:30 AM this morning. Co-incident to that, as I look out my bedroom window, I can see a helicopter running on my runway. Two very well equipped military rescue personnel at my door saying I have an ELT transmitting. I instantly know what I've done wrong ...

We walk down toward the planes, and I stop at my car. They laugh and say "It's in the trunk of your car?!" Yup, I just removed both to take them for annual certification. I tucked them in a safe place in the trunk, with the switches selected off, and the antennas removed. But, I did not guard the switches :oops: :oops: !! The certification place was not open, so they rode back home in the trunk and bumped each other. One turned on the other's switch.

With no antenna, and in the trunk, we were all surprised they even heard it. It's an old 121.5, but I guess it still works well. They said that the signal was faint, and they had just happened to hear it while flying over from another call.

I apologized for not guarding the switches off, and wasting their time. They were very pleasant and gracious. I am reminded of the value of SAR, who is often not thought of until we really need them. What a reassuring thought that they can find the ELT I carelessly put in my trunk, with no antenna on it!

Thanks Guys, I relearned a lesson I should already have known....
---------- ADS -----------

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: False ELT

Post by jschnurr »

I thought no one listens for 121.5 anymore?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Every aircraft is supposed to maintain a listening watch on 121.5 MHz where practicable - it's not just used for ELTs. But there is no satellite monitoring of that frequency any more.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

jschnurr wrote:I thought no one listens for 121.5 anymore?
I stopped bothering since I discovered if you're close to one that goes off, you don't need to be tuned to 121.5 to know it. The rest of the time its rare I'm blessed with two radios. When I am and not needing them I still do.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

I am amazed that someone heard the signals with the antennas removed. In the trunk.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Isn't there an "Avoid UNSARs!" poster of a cartoon showing an SAR helicopter chasing a mail truck down the highway with an ELT transmitting from inside a package in the truck? Life imitates art...

EDIT: here it is.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... r-3655.htm

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Flyboy757
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flyboy757 »

I remember chasing an ELT around SSM/ YAM in the early 80's.Sure got lots of looks maneuvering low level over YAM in a C-130. Sure enough. ELT in the mail truck. Got the final fix on it when the truck pulled into the post office and shut down!!!!!

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I usually disconnect or remove the batteries when they are due (saves on shipping costs). I've got a lifetime supply of expired Artex batteries to go with my special Artex flashlight.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

jschnurr wrote:I thought no one listens for 121.5 anymore?
What and miss the "Guard Police" comments.....

Return to “General Comments”